Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   FICM SOLUTION BROKEN PLUGS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1115616-ficm-solution-broken-plugs.html)

cabinman 11-15-2011 11:10 AM

FICM SOLUTION BROKEN PLUGS

Hello everyone. I would like to share a simple solution to a common problem. I brought my 6.0 in to the dealer to fix my heads ( ever heard that before ). In any case, having spoken to a few mechanics over the years, I hear it's quite common for people to break the retaining tabs off of the 3 plugs that enter the FICM. You will see several pictures of people ZIP tying them in place if you do some searching. The wonderful Ford Tech that worked on mine didn't tell me he did break them nor did he take responsibility for doing such. Fast forward a bit, had a lot of problems with intermittent starts and weird things happening with my truck, ie, cylinder contribution codes from my AE scanner. Anyway, at 220,000 I finally had to replace injectors and while I was there, I did the oil cooler ( A MUST if you are going to get deep into the engine ) and that is when I discovered the plugs were broken, all three of them no less. So there are 3 solutions to this problem. #1 is to pay a LOT of money to have the harness replaced, my dealer wouldn't take responsibility even though they were the only ones to ever take the FICM off ( until I had too much later ). #2 you can buy the plug ends from Allied ( yes you can for sure in case anyone wants to argue ) #3 IS THE EASIEST SOLUTION - I cut a section of heater core hose (or fuel line), I think it was 5/8" diameter stuff about a foot long down the length so that it was no longer a tube so to speak. It still looks round of course. The slit allowed the tube to crush easier because I didn't want to put too much pressure on the plugs or the FICM. This piece is obviously able to withstand high temperatures so it's perfectly suited for this purpose. When you put the FICM back in, slip the hose directly behind the plugs lengthwise and gently snug the FICM down tight. This is a perfect fix, it will not back out and you won't have the zip ties rubbing into the wires. Plus it doesn't look like a "farm" fix as it's invisible. I hope this helps anyone with this same problem. REMEMBER, if your PLUGS DON'T CLICK, you most likely have a problem. Hope this saves you guys some money and time !

KRDiesel 11-15-2011 01:39 PM

Humm, That is a good idea.

nitrogen 11-15-2011 06:59 PM

pictures would help me comprehend what exactly you did with the hose piece. as in how it is placed. I'm kind of dumb that way:)

cabinman 11-15-2011 09:20 PM

Hose placement..

Sorry, I didn't take pictures but I thought I would share it with people just the same. I am not sure how I can better explain it but I will try again. The FICM plugs are aligned in a row parallel ( same direction ) as the valve cover on the drivers side. The space between the back of the plugs and the valve cover is probably around 3/8". By placing the hose behind the plugs before you tighten the FICM down, it acts as a shim so the plugs have no space to back out. Since the rubber is squished from round to an oval shape from the pressure between the FICM plug and the valve cover, it acts kind of like a self adjusting spring shim. The slit cut lengthwise and straight down the hose just makes the hose more compliant and essentially a softer spring so it exerts less force on the plug heads and FICM. What you are really trying to do is fill the space/void between the back of the plug and the valve cover with something that won't melt, slip out or be so hard as to break the plugs or FICM. Even a flat piece of heat resistant but compressible rubber would work but the hose was at hand and probably the best solution possible. Zip ties are in my opinion a very bad solution as they have to be put between the wires to hold them in place but there is almost no space between the wires to do so. This means the zap strap/zip tie will exert a cutting action against the wires opposing either side of the tie and may eventually wear through. That and they don't push or in their case, pull the plugs in nearly as well as the hose...

Hope that helps.

Maxium4x4 11-16-2011 07:57 AM

Very interesting, Thanks for the idea.

LSAtexan4x4 12-29-2011 07:32 PM

how difficult is it to just replace the connector ends?
this is a good idea though... have you checked to make sure the heat isnt getting to the hose?

ajbkid 04-05-2012 08:01 AM

Wow, great idea. Thank you very much.

Crash16 04-05-2012 08:57 AM

This is now done to mine. Lol. Thank you very much for the idea.

cabinman 04-05-2012 10:24 AM

UPDATE FROM AUTHOR ON HOSE__STILL WORKING GREAT

Originally Posted by LSAtexan4x4 (Post 11212794)
how difficult is it to just replace the connector ends?
this is a good idea though... have you checked to make sure the heat isnt getting to the hose?

Hi, the hose continues to work perfectly and has permanently and safely resolved this problem for me. The hose is made to withstand pretty high temperatures as it's the same type of hosed used in that engine already. Connectors are available from Allied, FOR SURE, I checked but they would be a huge PIA to install. This is really a better solution because the next time you need to take the FICM off for whatever reason, you won't have to struggle with the stupid little locks and probably break them off again.

lenzhotrod 04-05-2012 11:46 AM

This is a great idea. Mine has a broken clip on the FICM side and this will fix it!!

TexasA&M 04-05-2012 02:18 PM

I broke one side of the middle connector when I pulled my FICM out a couple of weeks ago... I put it back in and basically crossed my fingers that it wouldn't cause an issue. This is an EXCELLENT way to fix the broken plug issue and I will definitely use it if I ever have to pull it out again.

ajbkid 04-05-2012 11:28 PM

i had all 3 broken, tied this and its a great solution. Saved me allot of time and money. Thank you!!!!!!

Gromrok 06-11-2014 12:38 AM

I registered specifically to say thanks for such a simple, amazing solution. This thread needs to be seen and I hope my post helps make it so!

cabinman 06-11-2014 04:12 AM

You're welcome..

It's been several years and it still works perfectly.. Glad I could help.

Michael Ronneseth

Originally Posted by Gromrok (Post 14421475)
I registered specifically to say thanks for such a simple, amazing solution. This thread needs to be seen and I hope my post helps make it so!

169521 11-18-2014 09:03 PM

Thanks for the great tip. I just had my first experience with the FICM connectors/fustration removing them and broke 2 of the 3 connectors. FICM going out for repairs tomorrow and when it's back I will be using this solution when it goes back in.

Just love the unique solutions you guys come up with for us 6.0 rookies.