Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   EBPV stuck?! or sensor screwy (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1114314-ebpv-stuck-or-sensor-screwy.html)

Awitte58 11-10-2011 09:20 AM

EBPV stuck?! or sensor screwy

Truck started up fine this morning and idled for 10 or so till I headed off for class.
Right as im goin theres a major sucking noise or something when I accelerate slowly. It sounds just like the startup noise from the ebpv...
Slow acceleration it does this sucking noise and really is bogged down. when I hammer it she goes.
Even in overdrive cruising 50 or so its constant sucking. Kept doing this after it got warmed up.
Maybe the valve is getting stuck?

Where is there the plug to unplug the ebpv sensor or whatever its called?

I see you on this mornin Jose so I expect a response! :-X22

Hussler 11-10-2011 09:35 AM

Just below and in front of the turbo.
A two wire plug, only one there.

Mine does it if temps are ~32 or below and will continue until EOT is ~175. Silly strategy if you ask me. However it does help heating up the engine as exhaust temps are a few hundred degrees higher when that sucker closes. If you watch EBPV sensor data stream it seldom closes all the way but only a percentage, depending on engine load demand. Also not as nerve racking as you can see what is actually going on.

You can also just drive a few miles to get EOT up a bit then shut down and restart and it won't continue.

Awitte58 11-10-2011 09:53 AM

Thanks Jim, Ill have to unplug it and see if it is just the ebpv doing its thing. I just dont get why it would keep doing it after its all warmed up. I have a hefty commute and the EOT had to be well above 175. But you are right I went out and started it up again and its gone now, so must be that stupid thing. May just keep er unplugged lol. any harm in that?
This is my first winter with the thing... already got new GPR/plugs with a backup stancor GPR in my toolbox... lol

Hussler 11-10-2011 10:36 AM

No harm unplugging it as many on here have done that. Heck, I had mine unplugged for a few years then plugged it back in when I got Scan Gauge because I wanted to see live data and how it was really working.

79OldBone 11-10-2011 10:45 AM

Hey Alex is your truck the ford royal blue metalic paint code LE? Also what size tires with the 4" lift? Nice looking truck!

A buddy of mine has had his unplugged for a few years with 0 issues as well.

Ford4Life7.3 11-10-2011 10:59 AM

Mines been unplugged since i got it. No problems. You may want to fix it tho because if its constantly engaged, wouldnt it stay engaged when you unplug it?? Maybe im wrong? And awitte did you get my PM?

RÖENTGEEP 11-10-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Awitte58 (Post 11021579)
Truck started up fine this morning and idled for 10 or so till I headed off for class.
Right as im goin theres a major sucking noise or something when I accelerate slowly. It sounds just like the startup noise from the ebpv...
Slow acceleration it does this sucking noise and really is bogged down. when I hammer it she goes.
Even in overdrive cruising 50 or so its constant sucking. Kept doing this after it got warmed up.
Maybe the valve is getting stuck?

Where is there the plug to unplug the ebpv sensor or whatever its called?

I see you on this mornin Jose so I expect a response! :-X22

Hi buddy, agree all about EBVP. Im in other PC and dont have pics, thats the reason I didnt post one for you about the plug.:-X19 sorry

I dont have it unnpluged because I use it like an exhaust brake.

:-drink

fordpride 11-10-2011 11:14 AM

here ya go
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=49313

RÖENTGEEP 11-10-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by fordpride (Post 11021950)

Mike "merci beaucoup" :-X04

:-drink

fordpride 11-10-2011 01:46 PM

your welcome

jiveturkey692000 11-10-2011 04:43 PM

I was gonna ask which plug it was to lol, I was gonna unplug mine the other day and was unsure, thanks.

stainlessstroker95 11-10-2011 06:54 PM

What would you check if the ebpv doesnt work at all and it is still pluged in. It hasnt worked since i got the truck 4 years ago but it is there and kinda would like it to work.

fordpride 11-10-2011 07:23 PM

It use EOT to tell it when to close and exhaust back pressure sensor to tell it to open.

Hussler 11-10-2011 08:10 PM

Believe it also uses IAT (intake air temp) sensor (at the air filter) so if that is disconnected or not not working it might disable the function.

fordpride 11-10-2011 08:20 PM

Maybe it is IAT and not EOT