Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oregon Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum190/)
-   -   Motorcraft carb issue (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1114126-motorcraft-carb-issue.html)

Spider-Kenneth 11-09-2011 11:17 AM

Motorcraft carb issue

So I just got my truck all back together, after a week of seating valves, and new gaskets... Now I am getting an air leak, it is coming out of the throttle rod that connects the butterfly venturies, I have heard from a couple of people this is common for the Motorcraft 2100's, because they don't have bushings like others do. I can't afford a new carb or anything like that. Is there a way to fix this? It is newly rebuilt and because of my massive missing problems, I couldn't catch on to it before.

1 other thing. I noticed when starting my truck, when turning it over- you can turn it nonstop and nothing will happen, the truck WILL NOT fire until you stop turning it over, this is a bit weird to me, anyone know why this happens?

P.S. I moved this thread here in hope of finding an answer (BII thread doesn't get answers often enough)

SpringerPop 11-09-2011 06:44 PM

That start only after release of key from "START" position problem is usually because you haven't bypassed your ballast resistor with a wire from the starter solemoid directly to the coil.

What year, and what kind of ignition system did you say you have? (You didn't.) Is it the '84 B-Twice? :)

Pop

Spider-Kenneth 11-09-2011 07:43 PM

1984, yeah, it's a b2. It has the duraspark conversion in it. I am pretty sure it did it before. OH! I get it, it does it because of the resistor?

SpringerPop 11-09-2011 09:25 PM

No, not because of the resistor. The resistor is supposed to be there.

Take a look at this:
DuraSpark Wiring Schematic

Notice the little "S" and "R" next to the ballast resistor? That's the "START" and "RUN" outputs from the ignition switch.

The "R" goes through the resistor. The resistor is there to reduce the average voltage output to the spark plugs. The spark doesn't have to be as "hot" while running, and it keeps the entire DuraSpark unit from running hot.

The "S" supplies a full +12 volts to create a hotter spark during the time the starter motor is lugging down the battery voltage. It helps to have a little hotter spark while starting.

My guess is that you don't have the wire from the "S" to the coil, the one that effectively "bypasses" the resistor. Make sense to you?

That "S" source can come from one of the small terminals on some Ford-type starter solenoids, from the ignition switch directly, or even from the starter motor.

Pop

Old93junk 11-09-2011 10:04 PM

I answered your carb question in your other thread in the B2 forum.

Spider-Kenneth 11-12-2011 05:57 PM

Pop- I do understand this;
Is it a wire that should already be there or should I splice it up; I am sorry. I am bad at putting 2 and 2 together.

Thanks for the help

SpringerPop 11-12-2011 07:01 PM

If the DuraSpark came from the factory, it would be there.

However, since you modded the B-Twice to add DuraSpark, it's possible that you may have missed adding that wire.

If you were to put a multi-meter (reading voltage) on the "BAT" side of the coil (other wire of the voltmeter to ground) what would the voltage be during "CRANK"? If it's next-to-nothing, there's your problem. If it's close to battery voltage, that's not your problem.

The engine WILL run normally, once started, right?

Some testing is in order for you......

Pop

Old93junk 11-12-2011 07:22 PM

The 83-84 duraspark swap is plug and play, the 85 is more problematic and requires a ballast resistor to be added............Sure your B2 is not a 85?

As Marv says..............Start testing.

Spider-Kenneth 11-12-2011 11:17 PM

It is an 84.... I put a resistor on my coil, it is white.... Could this be my problem?

I don't have a volt meter, though.
My resistor is connected to positive of coil with positive batt connected to the bottom of the resistor.

Old93junk 11-13-2011 12:07 AM

NO resistor is needed for 83-84 Ranger/B2 2.8 duraspark swap...........Check the diagram on the Rangerstation site.

SpringerPop 11-13-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Old93junk (Post 11030857)
NO resistor is needed for 83-84 Ranger/B2 2.8 duraspark swap...........Check the diagram on the Rangerstation site.

Is that because the resistor is built into the harness, or is the design different to not use a resistor at all?

There's still something amiss when the truck won't start until you release the key from "START" to "RUN".

Pop

Spider-Kenneth 11-13-2011 02:02 AM

Well, thanks all. I am gonna try it tomorrow after work. See how it goes.

Old93junk 11-13-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by SpringerPop (Post 11030891)
Is that because the resistor is built into the harness, or is the design different to not use a resistor at all?

There's still something amiss when the truck won't start until you release the key from "START" to "RUN".

Pop

I followed the Rangerstation Duraspark swap for my 84, and no ballast resistor was needed per the instructions, it runs flawlessly. I think that resistor must go, and was only for the 85' yr models. Why... I have never researched, all I know is it WORKS!!

Spider-Kenneth 11-14-2011 09:16 PM

Well, that solves that issue. Still having a carb issue, I think.... It seems no matter what I do with this thing I can't ever have this head ache over with!

SpringerPop 11-14-2011 10:22 PM

Did you simply remove the resistor to solve the issue?

Pop