Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Here we go.....again (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1114104-here-we-go-again.html)

EdCaffreyMS 11-09-2011 08:47 AM

Here we go.....again

Well, many of you have read of all my woes with my 2011 F150....I though we had all the electronics issues fixed, but last night a new one showed up.

Since winter is coming on, it's getting dark earlier around here. Last night around 6:30pm (it was full dark outside), I jumped in the truck to run a late errand. I've been leaving the headlight switch in the "auto lamp" position. I started the truck, and no lights! I sat there for a minute with it running, then flipped the headlight switch through all the positions to "off", then all the way back through each position to the "auto lamp".....still no lights. Fuming, I turned the truck off, and started to get out, but decided to try again. I started the truck up again, (the light switch was in the "auto lamp" position), and within 5 seconds of the engine starting, the lights popped on.

Looks like another trip to the dealer for more "gremlin" chasing.:-arrgh

Just when I thought this truck was getting "right".....another thing pops up. Once again my trust in this thing is teetering.

MCDavis 11-09-2011 08:57 AM

Ed, probably a dumb question, but do you park under a security or flood light at your house?

EdCaffreyMS 11-09-2011 10:53 AM

:) I figured that would come up.....there is a security light in our yard, but it's not near where the truck gets parked. (about 40 yards away, with the light mostly blocked by the mower shed)

I was thinking basically the same thing....that the auto lamp sensor might be picking up some light source.....but I've been parking the truck there ever since taking delivery.....and this has never happened before. What I didn't say in the first post is that I went on my errand, and the truck did the same thing when I was leaving to come back home.
This morning I was up early and tried the lights before daylight....this time they work like they were suppose to. That's the way all of the electronics issues have been with this truck.....no rhyme or reason that can be tracked.....it will do something goofy, then no do it for a while, then do it again unexpectedly. I'm fully convinced that there is something amiss with the computer(s)/software, but since the dealership can't pull any specific codes, they have no idea how to handle it.

I emailed the General Sales Manager at the dealership this morning with this latest issue......they have ordered another truck identical to mine, and when I asked what the thought pattern is, the answer way "in case you want to trade yours in"......if it's reasonable, I'll jump on it in a minute, but I know they are in the business to make money, and I'm afraid I'll loose my shorts in the deal. The new truck is suppose to arrive in early Dec., so we'll see what the offer is, and see just how anxious they are to make me a happy customer.

MCDavis 11-09-2011 11:00 AM

Well durn, that is a little spooky. Could it be that the sensor is bad? The lights work once you turn them on with the switch, correct?

flixden 11-09-2011 11:21 AM

I would not trade.
I would document whatever you can, including video footage maybe, and drop off the truck at the dealer to get this fixed.
At some point, your state's lemon law should kick in. Here, it's 28 shop days, or > 3 times attempted repair for the same issue/problem.
Don't let them get away by making you trade in yours. They will get more money out of you, and then turn around and sell your truck as is to some other poor guy. A trade would be a double win for the dealer: electrical problems solved for them (for the time being at least), and more money in their pocket.
I would not even think about that.

bskouby 11-09-2011 01:04 PM

Ed, I have followed your 'saga' for some time, so I am familiar with your troubles. I finally got around to registering here at FTE, so this will be my inaugural post.

Here is a story about my truck (2011 5.0L). My Sync was acting up so I decided to reset it by pulling the fuse. Well, as my luck as it, I pulled the fuse and then promptly dropped the little bugger down inside the kick panel well and lost it. All of the stores were closed, and I didn't have the option to run out and purchase some new 15A fuses, so I decided to pull one of the identified spare fuses from another location and move it to the sync. I accidentally pulled fuse 23 (dash control module) instead of fuse 25 (spare). When I started the truck back up without fuse 23, the auto lights, turn signals, dimmer, and various other items were non functional. Apparently the "dash control module" also controls the various relays that these systems depend on. After pulling the spare fuse and replacing fuse 23 everything was good.

Long story short, check fuse 23 (and the rest for argument) and make sure are all seated correctly (unless you have already done this of course). Perhaps with all of the attention your truck has been getting at the dealer, perhaps something has been knocked loose.

A long shot I know, but who knows?

tvsjr 11-09-2011 07:38 PM

Have you talked to the dealer about lemon law? Consulted an attorney?

FishOnOne 11-09-2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tvsjr (Post 11019804)
Have you talked to the dealer about lemon law? Consulted an attorney?

For a failed "Auto Lamp" feature? :-roll

tvsjr 11-10-2011 09:48 PM

Troy, you should do a little more research before you roll your eyes, lest you look foolish. The OP apparently has a "cursed" truck... poor fuel economy, a seatbelt pretensioner that fired for no reason, electrical issues, etc. Thus the title of "here we go, again". You might search his previous posts if you'd care to read more. :-roll

If the OP is indeed having all of these problems, it's long past the point of lemon law consideration.

tseekins 11-10-2011 10:19 PM

Ed, have you considered turning this truck in and trying again?

Concerning your MPG issue, I would urge you to read your factory window sticker again. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ as I truly sympathize with you. Under the two large mpg numbers there is an mpg range that most drivers should expect to see. If I am mistaken and please correct me, but I believe your mileage is falling within the range printed in the smaller numbers. Though not great or what we all expect from our ecoboost trucks, it is technically within spec.

As for the other issues, perhaps you should name her Christine.

EdCaffreyMS 11-11-2011 08:20 AM

Hi Tim!

Technically you are 100% correct about the MPG.....the "fine print" on the sticker reads 17-25. But that magical "17" is elusive. The only reason the truck hit 17 on my last trip was thanks to a 30-40mpg tailwind for the last 80 miles of the trip. 99% of the time the MPG is in the low 16s on highway trips. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that is unacceptable, and I will not back off because the truck hit 17 ONCE.

The truck is scheduled in on Monday morning for the latest issue.....and I suspect that it will be just like many of it's other trips to the shop......they won't be able to pull an codes, and will say "We can't find anything wrong." At least it will be another documented issue with this truck, and one day out of service closer to being able to apply our states lemon law.

tseekins 11-11-2011 02:46 PM

Ed, I've followed your plight from the beginning and I sincerely hope that someone can find a solution to all the issues and increase your mpg's as well.

whalebird 11-11-2011 03:18 PM

Ed. I'm going to shoot from the hip here so bear with me. I have not followed all your posts, but am aware of multiple issues throught this forum.
I would keep the door open for Ford to offer good will. Getting legal will put an end to that real quick.
If your dealer has a new truck on the way without you asking...they're going to swap it out. You do seem to be frustrated but also have a cool, understanding demeaner and that is sterling. You are exactly the kind of customer Ford wants to make happy and they will go to any length to keep you in a Ford.
I understand if you are jaded on the product, but I have had nothing but great performance from my 09 FX4 and I have over 65K miles...never been to the dealer for any issue.
I'd have an earnest talk with your dealer's general manager and I suspect you will get some results fast. I think Ford and you are ready to put this to rest, so good luck and try to maintain some faith in an otherwise superb product.

EdCaffreyMS 11-11-2011 05:41 PM

You pretty much summed up my attitude and intent. I've been keeping cool mainly because my wife works at the dealership, and because I don't want to burn any bridges. To be fair, the dealership has taken good care of me so far. I'm just running out a patience with this truck.

Once that new truck arrives at the dealership, if they offer me something good, I will jump all over it. The caveat to that is that with all that's gone on with this truck, I'm a bit gun shy, and feeling like I've been "burned" with this one, will be very cautious in any dealing that may be to come. I still hold onto the hope that I will become a "happy" F-150 owner.

whalebird 11-12-2011 09:19 AM

I hope you can be a happy Ford owner as well. I have owned a dozen or so Ford products (and lots of others) and have been happy except for one instance, and it was as much my fault as Ford's. I know this means nothing to you and I wouldn't expect it to, however if Ford sold you a dud truck and did not make every effort to resolve the issue so long as you are reasonable; I would be a bit jaded in my ownership as well.
I have been a dealer tech (not Ford) for a long time and have witnessed these situations first hand. In my 'brand', the factory would exercise due dillegence by reviewing the list of complaints, interviewing the tech that performed the work, and surveying the vehicle thoroughly. If any flags were raised they would be addressed, but if the customers complaints were legit, tech was prudent and analitical, then it was within hours that a drastic and complete solution was underway. This seemed to pivot on the customers posture. I've seen my marque "fire" customers that were unreasonable: take their car back, return their money, and say "your not allowed to own our cars - we're not doing business any more". Hang in there Ed and stay calmly focused on the prize.
I have an opinion and it is completely worthless to everyone else so...
I don't like V6s. I've known many and they can be adequate motors, and some are well executed. I've not experianced the ecoboost, but hanging turbos and hypeing a V6 as a breakthrough is not going to do it for me. It may be great in the Taurus and Fusion, but that turbo is working hard pulling a 5500# truck around and it is probably dumping fuel under moderate load. I suspect that the 5.0 would yield better milage, or at least more consistent milage. My 09 with the old 3valve 5.4 gets better milage then you report.
Would you consider one of the V8s if given the opportunity to replace your current truck?

Again, I am voiceing a personal opinion based on anecdotal observation and not intended to offend or offered as criticism.