Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   '87 F250 Cranks but wont start? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1113558-87-f250-cranks-but-wont-start.html)

cmdevildog16 11-07-2011 05:27 AM

'87 F250 Cranks but wont start?

Good Morning,

I am trying to help my father in law get his 87 f250 4x4 with a 5.0 running. the truck will crank but not start. I have looked at the tech thread but everytime i click on the checking OBD1 codes part i get an error like the link is bad. Can anyone help me with where to start on this bad boy?

thanks!

brcwelding 11-07-2011 05:41 AM

Start by finding out if the problem is no fuel or no spark. Take one of the plugs out and put it back into the wire. Then put the plug on bare metal to ground it. Have someone turn the engine over and see if there is a spark. If there is a spark then the problem is no fuel. If there isnt spark then the problem is obviously no spark. If there is no fuel check to see if you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn key. If the do change the fuel filter to see if it was plugging up the fuel. If you dont hear them then one or both of the fuel pumps could be bad, either the in tank or high pressure fuel pump. If you arent getting spark then start by checking the plugs and wires to make sure they are good. Check the distributor cap to see if you see any arcing marks or cracking. If so get a new cap and rotor. If that dont work check the ignition coil. Those are just the basics. There are many other things that could be wrong. Good luck.

ArdWrknTrk 11-07-2011 05:44 AM

Try this,

Ford Fuel Injection » How To Run a Self-Test

Ford Fuel Injection » 2 Digit Self-test Codes 11-32

Ford Fuel Injection » 3 Digit Self-test Codes 111-171

I'll admit I don't know much about 5.0's or fuel injection in general but pulling the codes and knowing what they are is a good start.

cmdevildog16 11-07-2011 05:49 AM

Thanks guys yeah i forgot to mention it does have spark, i think it may be a fuel issue and i will try the code pulling on this beast tonight.

FordOwnerJoey 11-07-2011 12:20 PM

my 4.9L doesn't like to start when its cold because of the air and coolant temperature sensors. It wont turn on the fuel pump and send fuel to the engine. I replaced both sensors but the old girl still does it. So when it starts acting up I just unplug the sensors until it starts up and I plug the sensors back in. If that doesnt work I unplug, clean, and plug back in the relays next to the air box. Seems to work for me. I think my fuel pump on the rail though is about shot, Its all rusted to hell and back....

Josh Ford02 05-15-2019 04:27 PM

My 87 f250 xl 460ci auto is getting gas to the carb and ive replaced the coil, cap and rotor, and ignition control module but it's still cranking and won't fire. I turn the key to "start" and the dash lights and head and tail lights come on when the switch is off thinking something shorted out or the horseshoe connecter on the coil might be bad. any ideas?

rla2005 05-16-2019 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Ford02 (Post 18654838)
My Truck is getting gas to the carb but all it does is crank and crank, I replaced the ignition control module, coil, and cap and rotor but still nothing... Got any ideas? and when i turn the key the dash lights, head and tail lights all come on even if the switch is off

Welcome to FTE. Best suggestion is to start your own new thread. Please list the year/model/engine/transmission of your truck. That will us to provide the most pertinent answer to your questions.