Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   snow plow prep package ?'s (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1111257-snow-plow-prep-package-s.html)

paver56 10-28-2011 09:49 PM

snow plow prep package ?'s

I am going to put a plow on my f350. I do not have the snow plow prep package. On the Ford website it says the snow plow prep package includes
"computer selected springs" what does that mean. I know that it increases the fron axle from 5600 to 6000lbs. Also, has anyone upgraded their springs and how difficult was it to do? Thanks for any input.

dschuffert 10-28-2011 10:09 PM

Subscribing.

Fontana 10-28-2011 10:12 PM

My truck has the snow plow prep. I think it's just heavier springs. No idea how difficult to exchange. I just know it shouldn't cost much.

Andrew010 10-29-2011 08:40 AM

It's heavier springs on the front (pretty simple to exchange with basic handtools, decent floor jack and large jack stands). Dual batteries and the heavy duty alternator come with the plow prep as well (We already have them with the diesel). I'm not sure if there's anything else or not.

One thing I've been told, if you put a plow on a truck w/o plow prep package it will void warranty for any failure related to having the plow.

cabindoc 10-29-2011 05:54 PM

Springs are easy to change out, but not sure you really need to if your just plowing a few months a year. Look at the threads that involve lifting the 2011.

jfritz_drfritz 10-29-2011 06:12 PM

I suspect but do not know that the snow plow prep package also changes the control of the radiator fan so that it will engage more at low speeds. This may not be a problem now that these things are computer controlled, in the 7.3 days at least, people used to order the package without really needing it and then were distressed by the amount of noise they got due to fan actuation by the different fan clutch that came with the package

'08FX4 11-06-2011 08:38 AM

Wondering all the same things.

JSWpilot 11-06-2011 11:44 AM

I have the snow plow package. Just bought it for the extra tax write off and for future use. Mine wont have a plow on it until it gets older. As mentioned, it's just heavier front springs and a slightly larger alternator (not duals). Also I have a rubber shield in the grill near the plug in for diverting snow but I'm not sure if that only comes with the plow package. The package is only an $85 option so I'm sure getting a hold of those front springs from ford or just heavier aftermarket ones wont be too expensive. The package also makes a leveling kit unneeded so I'm happy.

chapfr 11-06-2011 01:23 PM

I to had the same concerns , I had 8ft Fisher HD plow installed on my 2011 F350 Lariat SD CCSB [no plow prep package] no problems at all with the exception that the front end drops a few inches when plow is lifted , I put it next to the same truck with plow prep and they were the same level with same plow.
I installed 2" leveling kit, air bags in front springs and rear bags , changed shocks to Bilstein 5100s . Rides awesome and you dont even know the plow is there ,
Very happy with this set up
PS My dealer installed the plow , so I really dont think the void warranty theory will hold water, Just my guess:-X21

jack_pine 11-06-2011 01:37 PM

I always wondered about the warranty. I am pricing out the extended ones and they ask (before cost) if you will have a plow on the truck. Will have to check yes and see what happens...........

Andrew010 11-06-2011 04:03 PM

My dealer told me, no plow prep / no warranty. Not sure if it's true or not. My dealer didn't benefit from telling me that as I already had the plow and installed the mount/harness myself.

Maybe my dealer was wrong, but the salesperson checked with the manager and both said the same.

'08FX4 11-06-2011 07:29 PM

Mmmm- not sure that's true.

I just looked through the entire warranty guide and couldn't find anything about a plow voiding a warranty, the only similar item I found was on the very last page, regarding using a ford SD for an ambulance, without the ambulance package. Also- in the owners manual on page 311, the owners manual merely states that Ford "recommends that the Super Duty F-Series used for snow removal include the Snow Plow Package Option" that's all I could find in the owners manual, and warranty guide, I'd like to know where it says in print- that the installation of a plow, or using the vehicle for snow removal without the snowplow prep package voids the warranty.... Ask that sales person and manager to show you where it is in print. Bet they can't do it.

KA9DAL 11-06-2011 07:32 PM

My dealer said "no plow prep - no probelm" Ford only recommends it, they don't require it.

'08FX4 11-06-2011 07:39 PM

I will probably upgrade the front springs, since mine are the 5,200 lb springs, and I think the plow prep selects 6000 lb springs (please correct me if I'm wrong), but I'm not going to worry about the Altenator- if mine ever fails, I'd have the "extra" heavy duty one installed, but I won't pull out a perfectly good alt, just for the hell of it. I will get warranty clarification from the Svc mngr, at my dealer though.

paver56 11-07-2011 07:19 PM

Thanks for all of the input. On my first SD I ordered the SPP package and never used it. Hindsight is 20/20. I Did order my 6.7 with the heavy duty single atlernator. I was able to talk to my salesman and he said that it should be no problem to put a plow on the truck. I do not know if I am going to put on the 6000lb springs or not. I am getting the plow put on in 2 weeks. I decided to go with the Fisher 9.5' V plow. I know the 9.5' weighs more but I wanted to go that wide so that when I have it in the V position, the snow is thrown farther away from my tires.