Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   New Member: Help with Rear Wiper Motor Wiring (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1107712-new-member-help-with-rear-wiper-motor-wiring.html)

fuzzword 10-15-2011 09:48 PM

New Member: Help with Rear Wiper Motor Wiring

First hi to everyone!

I would like to ask assistance regarding replacing my rear wiper motor for my 2002 Ford Explorer xlt (motocraft wm553). The color of the wires is different from the truck. Anyone has suggestions? Wiring diagram perhaps. Thanks in advance. :)

shorod 10-15-2011 11:20 PM

Welcome to the forum!

If you send me a Private Message with the request AND and e-mail address for you, I'll send you the wiring diagram.

-Rod

fuzzword 10-16-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by shorod (Post 10925870)
Welcome to the forum!

If you send me a Private Message with the request AND and e-mail address for you, I'll send you the wiring diagram.

-Rod

Thank you for the quick response. I posted a visitor message with my email. Rep added. :-drink

shorod 10-16-2011 06:07 PM

Thanks for the Rep. The files should be in your inbox.

Good luck!

-Rod

fuzzword 10-18-2011 10:29 PM

Just an update. The wires are not the same color on the vehicle and motor (my mechanic took out the connector so we have to connect the wires directly). Not sure why because I even entered my Vin # and ordered thru motocraft for the rear motor. Anyway, we tried different combinations to connect the wires but the wiper still runs even when the switch is on OFF position..:'(

shorod 10-19-2011 06:37 AM

Have you tried confirming the functions of the wires using either a multimeter or a test light? For example, does the wire that should be White/Orange only have voltage to it with the switch in the "On" position? Based on your description, it sounds like it will have power all the time. The next thing to check would be to pull the rear wiper relay from the rear auxiliary junction box and check for ground to terminal 2 which should have a light green wire to it. It would correspond to either relay pin 86 or 85. If you have ground to that terminal when the rear wiper switch is in On and Off, then the GEM is telling the relay to close all the time to power the rear wiper. If the ground seems to be switched appropriately (Ground with the switch in "On" and open circuit when the switch is "Off") the relay is the likely culprit.

If the signal from the GEM to the relay is grounded all the time, before condemning the GEM you'll need to confirm the signals from the switch to the GEM are correct.

Also, what is the build date of your Explorer? How many wires did your old motor have, and how many does the new have? The "Early build" 2002 Explorers apparently have a 3 wire wiper motor while the "Late build" units have a 4-wire microprocessor controlled motor assembly.

-Rod

fuzzword 10-19-2011 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by shorod (Post 10937464)
Have you tried confirming the functions of the wires using either a multimeter or a test light? For example, does the wire that should be White/Orange only have voltage to it with the switch in the "On" position? Based on your description, it sounds like it will have power all the time. The next thing to check would be to pull the rear wiper relay from the rear auxiliary junction box and check for ground to terminal 2 which should have a light green wire to it. It would correspond to either relay pin 86 or 85. If you have ground to that terminal when the rear wiper switch is in On and Off, then the GEM is telling the relay to close all the time to power the rear wiper. If the ground seems to be switched appropriately (Ground with the switch in "On" and open circuit when the switch is "Off") the relay is the likely culprit.

If the signal from the GEM to the relay is grounded all the time, before condemning the GEM you'll need to confirm the signals from the switch to the GEM are correct.

Also, what is the build date of your Explorer? How many wires did your old motor have, and how many does the new have? The "Early build" 2002 Explorers apparently have a 3 wire wiper motor while the "Late build" units have a 4-wire microprocessor controlled motor assembly.

-Rod

March so it will most likely an early build. I also entered my Vin number so they should not make a mistake sending the right part. 3 wires. I'll have my mechanic look at your suggestion. Thank you for all the help. I'll let you know if ever if ever we get to figure it out.