Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   anyone own a soft top tonneau? question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1107441-anyone-own-a-soft-top-tonneau-question.html)

davelim 10-14-2011 08:15 PM

anyone own a soft top tonneau? question

Hello,
I have a 2010 xlt supercrew 5.4 with a soft top folding tonneau cover on it. I've had it for about a year. It was supposed to get better gas mileage but I have seen a decrease in mileage by about 1 mpg?! When I am driving on the freeway, I see that the soft top is fluttering in the wind. It is not a big problem but I do notice the soft top waving and bubbling up a bit, not much. I have checked the top and it is very securely fastened ... so my question is: Has anyone else experienced similar issues with their soft tops? What is up with the gas mileage decrease, are they (tonneau) fooling their customers with their nonsense regarding gas mileage? Thanks in advance for replies.

tseekins 10-14-2011 08:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I don't believe that there is any concrete evidence that bed covers help with gas mileage. It would make sense that they would but I've never seen it proven.

I have a Peragon folding cover on my truck and it seems to have helped a smidge but again, no huge gains.

No vibration, fluttering or movement and no leaks so far.

MCDavis 10-14-2011 09:35 PM

I run a soft roll up cover. Yes it flutters and there is almost no way to get rid if that. Its cloth and it will flutter/flap some. As for the mileage and like Tim said there is no concrete evidence proving any gains. If you don't like the aesthetic part of it then you'll just have to pony up and get a hard cover.

LxMan1 10-15-2011 09:54 PM

No gains, but no decrease either. I have used TruXedo soft covers for years with no issues.

Augster 10-15-2011 10:41 PM

I had a softy (Extang) on my 04 and that fluttered noticeably on the highway. Didn't see any increase/decrease in mileage and the truck that was all stock including wheels over the course of several years.

On my 09 I went hard folding design and again noticed no change in mileage before going to 33's and aftermarket rims.

mikey v 10-17-2011 06:37 AM

No increased or decreased MPG here, either. 2010 crew, short bed.

ddrumman2004 10-17-2011 08:48 PM

I have a soft cover on my truck....a vinyl, tri-fold design. It "fluctuates" as I drive in between the supports and keeps my bed dry.
If it weren't for me having to transport my drums to gigs with the truck, I wouldn't have a cover.

It's easily removed if needed as well.

EcoboostKev 10-19-2011 04:58 PM

I have been using the same Extang soft tonneau on my last 3 Ford trucks and never noticed any difference in mileage but they do flutter and wave on the highway. It's nothing to worry about and they are amazingly durable and last forever.