Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum232/)
-   -   1977 Ford F600, need some help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1106188-1977-ford-f600-need-some-help.html)

blueeyedfordguy 10-10-2011 10:43 AM

1977 Ford F600, need some help

Hey guys what can you tell me about my girlfriend's dads 1977 Ford F600? Its a great truck and i drive it for him to dump dirt and haul firewood. I wanted to know what engine and transmission it could have and/ or how to tell? I will be posting a walk around video as soon as i can. From what my research tells me its either a 330 industrial V8 or 361 industrial V8. This engine still has a holly Two barrel carburator. It has a cartriage type- spin on fuel filter like a diesel engine would. The shifting patern (as seen very shortly in the end of the video posted) is as follows: Reverse is the bottom left, 1st is top left, 2nd is center on top, 3rd is center bottom, 4th is top right, and 5th is bottom right. I am thinking it could be a clark 285? How can i tell? What fluid do i put in the transmission? 80w90 gear oil? It is syncronized but i double clutch through the gears especially 1,2, and three the syncros seem to be worn out. Will post photo's of the truck. It runs well, but it has a badly melted venturi. Im guessing it was from a backfire through the carburator. Let me know what you guys think and can tell me from the video. And buy the way, my girlfriend was filming! Haha she's a riot.

1977 Ford F600 ride along - YouTube

NumberDummy 10-10-2011 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by blueeyedfordguy (Post 10904904)
Hey guys what can you tell me about my girlfriend's dads 1977 Ford F600? Its a great truck and i drive it for him to dump dirt and haul firewood. I wanted to know what engine and transmission it could have and/ or how to tell? I will be posting a walk around video as soon as i can. From what my research tells me its either a 330 industrial :-huh V8 or 361 industrial :-huh V8. This engine still has a holley Two barrel carburator.

It has a cartridge type spin on :-huh fuel filter like a diesel engine would.

The shifting pattern (as seen very shortly in the end of the video posted) is as follows: Reverse is the bottom left, 1st is top left, 2nd is center on top, 3rd is center bottom, 4th is top right, and 5th is bottom right. I am thinking it could be a clark 285? How can i tell? What fluid do i put in the transmission? 80w90 gear oil? It is syncronized but i double clutch through the gears especially 1,2, and three the syncros seem to be worn out. Will post photo's of the truck. It runs well, but it has a badly melted venturi. Im guessing it was from a backfire through the carburator. Let me know what you guys think and can tell me from the video. And buy the way, my girlfriend was filming! Haha she's a riot

It's an FT engine, not an industrial engine. There are 4 different FT engines. The engine code is the 4th digit of the VIN:

C = 330 2V Medium Duty / D = 330 2V Heavy Duty / E = 361 2V / F = 391 4V.

A cartridge type oil filter is not a spin on filter. A cartridge type (commonly called a "sock filter") fits inside a metal cannister that bolts to the engine.

Motorcraft FL-1A .. Spin-On Oil Filter was used on all 1957/97 V8's except the late modular engines. Also used on many I-6's.

This filter spins-onto a threaded adapter that threads directly into the block.

The TRANS code is stamped on the Warranty Plate, located on the left door face below the latch.

It could be a Clark, a Spicer or a New Process 5 speed.

I'm going to ask a moderator to move your thread to the Large Truck forum. You'll get more info there.

blueeyedfordguy 10-10-2011 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 10904930)
It's an FE engine, there are 4 different ones.

The engine code is the 4th digit of the VIN

C = 330 2V Medium Duty / D = 33O 2V Heavy Duty / E = 361 2V / F = 391 4V

Motorcraft FL-1A .. Spin-On Oil Filter was used on all V8's 1957/97 except the late modular engines. Also used on many I-6's.

The TRANS code is stamped on the Warranty Plate, located on the left door face below the latch.

It could be a Clark, a Spicer or a New Process.

I'm going to ask a moderator to move your thread to the Large Truck forum. You'll get more info there.

Wow! That was fast! Thank you man. And yes. Thats fine you can move my thread there if you would like to. And thanks for the quick reply! Thats really what i needed :)

blueeyedfordguy 10-10-2011 11:04 AM

Oh, i do need to find out what kind of fluid it takes in the hydraulic tank. It is low. Thanks

NumberDummy 10-10-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by blueeyedfordguy (Post 10904958)
Oh, i do need to find out what kind of fluid it takes in the hydraulic tank. It is low.

What hydraulic tank? Where? Does the truck have a P.T.O. (Power Take-Off)?

Or, are you referring to the transmission?

Either way, I haven't a clue...another reason why I asked a mod to move your thread to the Large Truck forum.

THERE WAS A TYPO IN MY ORIGINAL POST....since corrected. It's an FT engine, not an FE engine.

blueeyedfordguy 10-11-2011 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 10904985)
What hydraulic tank? Where? Does the truck have a P.T.O. (Power Take-Off)?

Or, are you referring to the transmission?

Either way, I haven't a clue...another reason why I asked a mod to move your thread to the Large Truck forum.

THERE WAS A TYPO IN MY ORIGINAL POST....since corrected. It's an FT engine, not an FE engine.

Yes! That sounds correct! An FT engine. Thats what they called the industrial series of engines. Im sorry to confuse you with the hydralic tank question, i will explain. The truck has a power take off, and attached to that is a hydraulic pump and tank with cylinders. The tanks fluid is low and im having trouble finding out what kind it takes. We blew a line a little while back and lost some fluid. I will get a video of the trucks bed lifting as well. That way everyone can see the dump bed in working order. Thanks for wanting to move my post. I was not sure where to put in. Whether i should put it in big trucks or F series. But big trucks makes sence to me. I can get video this weekend when i am back down there with the truck

FBNengr 10-11-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by blueeyedfordguy (Post 10904904)
Hey guys what can you tell me about my girlfriend's dads 1977 Ford F600? Its a great truck and i drive it for him to dump dirt and haul firewood. Let me know what you guys think and can tell me from the video.

Hi blueeyedfordguy,

Awesome ride, dude! :-jammin Your girlfriend's dad obviously has great taste in vehicles and potential son-in-laws!

And I can tell a lot from your video. This truck would make a great pickup truck. It's got a cop motor (a big FT power plant). It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic convertors, so it'll run good on regular gas. I say it would make a great dirt & firewood hauler.

Only thing wrong I can see in the video .............. you need to fix the cigarette lighter.

:-X04 :-X22
Paul.

blueeyedfordguy 10-11-2011 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by FBNengr (Post 10908363)
Hi blueeyedfordguy,

Awesome ride, dude! :-jammin Your girlfriend's dad obviously has great taste in vehicles and potential son-in-laws!

And I can tell a lot from your video. This truck would make a great pickup truck. It's got a cop motor (a big FT power plant). It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic convertors, so it'll run good on regular gas. I say it would make a great dirt & firewood hauler.

Only thing wrong I can see in the video .............. you need to fix the cigarette lighter.

Paul.

Haha! Hey Paul, thanks for the reply. You know her parents think the same thing about me. I grew up on farm equipment and ive had 3 F150's as well. A , 84, 88, &89. Loved them. I own tractors such as a 1944 john deere model A (and have been driving that since i was 4). I've always been into older tractors and trucks as im a nut, and a begining diesel technician. Now, the F600. The F600 will haul a great deal of items! It hauls large logs, and (So far) up to 6 ric of firewood like its nobodys buisness, but i do not plan to be hard on the truck. A few pumps of the throttle and a little bit of choke and the truck starts up everytime! Mileage: my guess 8 miles to the gallon country driving. Maybe... 10 to 13 without stopping just cruising at 40- 45 miles per hour in 5th gear. Gas mileage does not seem too bad. Just a classic old truck like i have always wanted to opperate! I used to drive a 1990's International 4700 rollback/ wrecker with a T444E (similar to a 7.3 powerstroke but a better work horse in a Med. duty truck) and a spicer 5 speed. I love both trucks but this Ford is just a darn classic! I have driven semi truck as well before. And lastly i am 21 years old. I just want to learn what i can about these classic trucks. Can't find the information im looking for on the internet or books. Thanks guys!

blueeyedfordguy 10-11-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by FBNengr (Post 10908363)
Hi blueeyedfordguy,

Paul.

I love how you took that part off of blues brothers, but i will not be doing any crazy jumps with this truck :P

cj06 10-11-2011 11:16 AM

as for the hydraulic oil , we always went to costco or autozone and gotten the cheapest 5 gallon bucket that they had ! that is just a gear pump in those tanks and they will run on most anything , you dont need any special additives in the oil as there are no clutches to deal with !

blueeyedfordguy 10-11-2011 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by cj06 (Post 10908596)
as for the hydraulic oil , we always went to costco or autozone and gotten the cheapest 5 gallon bucket that they had ! that is just a gear pump in those tanks and they will run on most anything , you dont need any special additives in the oil as there are no clutches to deal with !

Yeah, thats what i really figured. Its just a simple power take off driven gear pump, so mostly any hydralic fluid would work. But as for the transmission on the truck, i am thinking 80w90 but other wise im not sure. I will have to look at the tags to see what kind of transmission is on this truck and go from there.

cj06 10-11-2011 05:30 PM

the tranny should be clark 5spd , and for the last 35 years we always used 80-90w or something close to it in all gear boxes and rear ends

blueeyedfordguy 10-11-2011 06:54 PM

Yeah, thats what i figured since ford's old gear boxes used 80w90. That is the old granny trannies: borg warner T18, T19, new process 435, and so on, along with a lot of eaton fuller transmissons used to use 80W90 till they switched them to synthetic 50w. Most Gear boxes used 80w90 gear oil and why not this one :). Thanks for the help. This weekend i will try to look at the tag to double check what kind of trans it is and what fluid is recomended.

blueeyedfordguy 10-19-2011 07:55 PM

Well, did a few more runs with the truck this weekend. A 70 mile trip and a ten mile trip. Before making the trips, the owner replaced the spark plugs. We found one spark plugs electrodes to be touching eachother!! HMM.... That explains the miss the truck sometimes ha at higher rpm's. All plugs were replaced. He bought some points and i helped put those in as well. Although he did most of the work. I tighened up the dual V- belt system as well. The belts were pretty loose. This time the truck fired straight up and sounded like a truck should!! Reminds me a lot more of my ford f150 V8 pickup by its old rumble, I love the sound of a old ford V8 (flatheads, OHV, classic ford engines with a nice sounding exhaust system). Oh boy it runs. It runs on all 8 cylinders now:D Acceleration and power is much better, and im sure gas mileage has increased. I have previously checked the Accelerator pump to make sure it functions and it does. I see a nice stream of fuel spray from both nozzles. The old air filter was a disaster and i replaced that as well. Glad to see it running better! More video post soon as i can.

big job 10-20-2011 03:17 AM

Hi if first is left down and reverse is left up to the instruments its a Spicer I know cause
I have one.