Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Latest Generation of Peragon truck covers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1105512-latest-generation-of-peragon-truck-covers.html)

tseekins 10-07-2011 02:58 PM

Latest Generation of Peragon truck covers

3 Attachment(s)
Peragon Retractable Aluminum Truck Bed Cover - Premium Design. Affordable Price.

I received my cover last Friday via FedEx in a very well packaged and well thought out shipping container. The products inside were well protected with foam, tape and heavy supports to keep them from shifting. These shipping products could all be used to return if need be.

Very often times when we buy a product with some off shore influence and the packaging is horrendous and reflects a great lack of detail. Not here folks. This is an American made product manufactured, packaged and shipped by American workers. The hardware packaging is broken down into small packs to so you can open them as the detailed instructions tell you to do so.

This cover is the 3rd generation of Peragon truck covers. It has been completely overhauled and shares little if any attributes with the older models. This cover and frame rails have been constructed of aircraft aluminum with a durable satin powder coat. The frame rails are multi-use aluminum extrusion which allows the owner to mount the frame to the truck and slide the cover effortlessly from front to back.

The mounting brackets are zinc plated. The mounting bolts are grade 5 stainless accompanied with stainless steel ny-lock nuts.

In Superduty form, the cover fits all '99-current trucks. In F-150 form, the cover will fit all Reg cab and Scab models from 1997-2012. There is no cover available for the 1997-2003 Supercrew F-150's.

A cover is close to market for the 80's and 90's model F-series trucks. It's best to call for details and availability.

On my truck, when the cover is in it's folded or stowed position, it only consumes 5" of bed space. In one minute, I can have the cover out of the bed and in the garage if I need to haul something that may damage the finish.

One key locks the entire cover in place. Gas struts are used to stiffen the front fold so locking the cover is not a requirement. The gasket material used on the frame and cover is identical to the door gaskets on our trucks. It's pliable so it conforms to most any shape to assist with it's water resistant nature. This cover is not water proof but damned close.

When going down the road there is no vibration to speak of.

For anyone who may in the market for a bed cover, I would highly suggest that you give Peragon Enterprises every bit of consideration that would would give to some of the better known brands.

From time to time, Mr. Heath Copp, President and co-founder of Peragon Enterprises will visit with us and share some technical details.

tseekins 10-07-2011 03:04 PM

Peragon part two

3 Attachment(s)
Notice the lock, the gasket material and how nice the cover fits th e bed.

BPofMD 10-07-2011 03:37 PM

Nice write up, Tim. I also have a write up in the Aftermarket Forum with lots of install photos......

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tallation.html

FTE Herman 10-07-2011 07:52 PM

I'm in the market, considering the Leer hard shell. Primary reason? Extends over cab sides. How do the Paragon rails attach to the bed sides?

Is there anyone who would want to comment on choosing one over the other?

dkf 10-07-2011 07:57 PM

Its a nice looking cover and the price isn't that awful. They came out with all kinds of covers since I bought my Undercover some 6 years ago. I have to say I'm happy with my undercover I have been pretty hard on it over the years and its still like new.(Well minus the two latches, they need replaced)

tseekins 10-07-2011 08:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by FTE Herman (Post 10897437)
I'm in the market, considering the Leer hard shell. Primary reason? Extends over cab sides. How do the Paragon rails attach to the bed sides?

Is there anyone who would want to comment on choosing one over the other?

I'll show you sir. The frame is attached to the insides of the bed rails by L brackets and stainless steel bolts. It's actually quite strong, in fact, stronger than I expected.

SlickYamaha 10-09-2011 04:29 PM

When you say "not waterproof, but close" How close do you mean? My main concern is when using the truck for camping, long trips etc, If i put suitcases in there, I dont want them to get wet. I have my 2011 F250 being delivered on thur, and im coming from a Chevy Avalanche, which I really had very little leaking problems.
I guess I should ask, would you trust putting suitcases, book bags, etc back there?

tseekins 10-09-2011 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by SlickYamaha (Post 10902481)
When you say "not waterproof, but close" How close do you mean? My main concern is when using the truck for camping, long trips etc, If i put suitcases in there, I dont want them to get wet. I have my 2011 F250 being delivered on thur, and im coming from a Chevy Avalanche, which I really had very little leaking problems.
I guess I should ask, would you trust putting suitcases, book bags, etc back there?

That is a fair question sir. It hasn't rained since I did the install so I have no actual experience with it's water tight integrity. I'm simply taking words from the video as the video says that it's not water poof.

This brings to light what a person actually needs. Instant full bed access with a chance of a leak or partial bed access and a chance of a leak and for twice the cost.

Remember, the Peragon is $599.00 delivered.

robd928 10-09-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10897501)
I'll show you sir. The frame is attached to the insides of the bed rails by L brackets and stainless steel bolts. It's actually quite strong, in fact, stronger than I expected.

Why the stack of washers...did the bracket need to be spaced out that much for some reason?

Rob

bpounds 10-09-2011 08:08 PM

I have a Retrax.

It appears to me that you had to drill clearance holes through the inner flange of your bed. That might be a negative for some people. But I have to say that the clamp on method the Retrax uses is pretty poor. I'm frequently finding a clamp that has rattled loose and is laying in the bed. So while I don't like the idea of drilling my bed, it looks to me like a much stronger and more reliable method.

Thanks for the excellent pics and commentary.

tseekins 10-09-2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by robd928 (Post 10903191)
Why the stack of washers...did the bracket need to be spaced out that much for some reason?
Rob

Peragon uses washers instead of a solid spacer so you can adjust 1/16th of an inch one washer at a time if need be. 6 washers did the trick on all four corners.

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 10903257)
I have a Retrax.

It appears to me that you had to drill clearance holes through the inner flange of your bed. That might be a negative for some people. But I have to say that the clamp on method the Retrax uses is pretty poor. I'm frequently finding a clamp that has rattled loose and is laying in the bed. So while I don't like the idea of drilling my bed, it looks to me like a much stronger and more reliable method.

Thanks for the excellent pics and commentary.

You nailed it sir and thanks for the kind words.

tseekins 10-10-2011 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 10902767)
That is a fair question sir. It hasn't rained since I did the install so I have no actual experience with it's water tight integrity. I'm simply taking words from the video as the video says that it's not water poof.

This brings to light what a person actually needs. Instant full bed access with a chance of a leak or partial bed access and a chance of a leak and for twice the cost.

Remember, the Peragon is $599.00 delivered.

UPDATE:

I washed my truck this morning with this post in mind. I sprayed the cover from front to back and side to side with the heaviest stream that my city water can muster and I only had a small drip from the tailgate area. The rest of the bed is dry and still dusty.

Now with that in mind, there is no way a water hose can duplicate the pressures of a driving rain at 70 mph and considering road imperfections and the bed twisting slightly over changes in road conditions, it may very well leak.
But, I will not go on record as saying that this cover is 100% water tight because it is not.

I've invited and even urged Heath to join us in these discussions so he may be able to mitigate some of my statements.

He did ask for a fair and honest review.

ultraboyus 10-11-2011 02:13 PM

Paragon Cover

I installed one on my 2008 Super Duty King Ranch, and, quite frankly, it's the best cover I ever owned. There are no holes to drill, as the 'L' brackets use existing holes in the stake pockets. The washers may look a bit hack, but the above info is correct, you need to adjust the spacing 1/16" at a time on each corner to get the cover to slide easily. Now that it is adjusted, I plan to make some spacers of the right thickness, and trim the bolts to the appropriate length. Waterproof? Not 100%, but damn close. I've been thru car washes, driving rain, etc. and had only a few drops in the bed near the tailgate.
Bottom line, looks great, locks, easy to open/close, takes up less than 6" of bed space when folded open, and very quick and easy to remove when needed. (the rails stay in place)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Sorry... PERAGON, not Paragon.

tseekins 10-11-2011 06:45 PM

^^^^ Very good post sir and welcome to FTE!