Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   1966 Ford F100 Interior Trim Code (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1105384-1966-ford-f100-interior-trim-code.html)

Mercmeister 10-06-2011 10:26 PM

1966 Ford F100 Interior Trim Code

Hi -

I'm looking at a 1966 Ford F100 short box pick-up and it appears to have a letter "V" on the VIN tag for the Interior Trim Code. This letter "V" is just to the left of the "81" body code for a conventional cab. My shop manual does not list a "V" interior trim code. Does anybody know what the "V" code means?

Thanks,
Dan M.

Boss9F100 10-07-2011 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mercmeister (Post 10894629)
Hi -

I'm looking at a 1966 Ford F100 short box pick-up and it appears to have a letter "V" on the VIN tag for the Interior Trim Code. This letter "V" is just to the left of the "81" body code for a conventional cab. My shop manual does not list a "V" interior trim code. Does anybody know what the "V" code means?

Thanks,
Dan M.

V81 is Red Crinkle vinyl and red rosette pattern vinyl BUCKET SEATS

BarnieTrk 10-08-2011 07:35 AM

Dan,
As you know, in '66, the trim code is on the Warranty Data Plate (WDP), which is mounted on the driver's door. A WDP with a V81 trim code indicates that the truck that was originally outfitted with THAT DOOR was ordered from FoMoCo with the much-sought RANGER trim package!

So the next question is: Is the door original to the rest of the truck or was the door replaced/changed sometime in the past 40+ years???

Realize too, that some folks will PAY GOOD $$ just to have that tag and/or door...
Sooooooo -- if the truck is total junk or even if just the door is total junk, then a person should try to saw out a sizable portion of the door - around that WDP - before it is sent to the crusher...........
BarnieTrk :-X0A6

Mercmeister 10-08-2011 09:30 AM

Thanks Guys,

The truck that I'm looking at currently has a bench seat installed. I am assuming that over the past 45 years, the bucket seats may have been removed for a "more convenient" bench seat. Is there any way to check from underneath the truck to verify that the truck was originally provided with bucket seats? Are there any other tell tale signs to verify the truck is a factory Ranger?

Thanks,
Dan M.

BarnieTrk 10-08-2011 09:58 AM

Dan,
Off the top of my head, I can't help ya.
I suggest you do a topic search as to how to tell if it's a real RANGER or not. There are a BUNCH of threads on the ID of Rangers.......

429unibody 10-08-2011 10:10 AM

If it had bucket seats it should have four stock looking mounting holes on each side for the seat mounts

Boss9F100 10-08-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mercmeister (Post 10898752)
Thanks Guys,

The truck that I'm looking at currently has a bench seat installed. I am assuming that over the past 45 years, the bucket seats may have been removed for a "more convenient" bench seat. Is there any way to check from underneath the truck to verify that the truck was originally provided with bucket seats? Are there any other tell tale signs to verify the truck is a factory Ranger?

Thanks,
Dan M.

AnotheR HUGE tip is the brackets that hold the carpet over fuel tank. If those brackets are still there and the other holes then most likely a Ranger. If they do not exist then the door was probably replaced. The Ranger carpet was made in multiple pieces and sewn together. It will have mounting holes also in the PROPER places. If its NOT a camper special it should also have the Ranger badging on fender.

garbz2 10-08-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BarnieTrk (Post 10898518)
Dan,

Realize too, that some folks will PAY GOOD $$ just to have that tag and/or door...

You realize the door tags are reproduced and can be had with any combination of trim......the door tag is worth about fifty cents without a matching title and even then it is not worth much as a historical document without the frame of the vehicle.

There are no records or any numbers matching. I can recreate a ranger and you or anyone else would not be able to tell if it is real or fake.

There are more rangers on the road today then were ever produced.

Garbz

The Masked Rider 10-08-2011 03:12 PM

I also wondered what good a tag would be. Wouldn't it still have to match the #'s on the frame of what ever you put it on?
Are the brackets that hold the carpet on look anything like the ones that hold the plastic tank covers on?