Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum267/)
-   -   63 Unibody Big Window on 2003 Marauder Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1104539-63-unibody-big-window-on-2003-marauder-chassis.html)

MarauderPU 10-03-2011 09:44 PM

63 Unibody Big Window on 2003 Marauder Chassis

3 Attachment(s)
I thought I would post a few pics of this build I just finished after two years. I bought a wrecked 2003 Marauder and took the body off the frame. I really just wanted the motor and trans which is the 4 valve cobra motor. After looking at the chassis, I thought it woudl be a shame to separate the engine and trans so I started looking around for some Ford with a wide track. Turns out the short bed Unibody was the same wheelbase and the wide Panther chassis fit underneath it after a little massaging. So any Panther chassis like a police car crown vic or the Mercury version could work as a complete foundation for a 61-66 short bed truck. You get the modern chassis and fuel injected motor and electronic trans, 4 link air bag rear with watts linkage, etc.

if anybody has any quesitions on this build, let me know. It rides great

Karl

MarauderPU 10-03-2011 09:48 PM

more build pics

3 Attachment(s)
more pics of the build

dustymojave 10-04-2011 11:55 AM

Sweet truck! I like that way better than a Camaro subframe conversion.
Did you use all the wire harness out of the Marauder?
Did you have to move the engine in the frame or move the firewall? Or did it happen to fit?

PS: This thread was just what I had in mind...It's a better place for pics and description of it.

dustymojave 10-04-2011 11:59 AM

Sweet truck!

You mentioned "a little massaging", did you have to move the engine or the firewall? It doesn't look like it in the photos.

Did you use the wire harness out of the Marauder?

PS: This thread was just what I was suggesting.

dustymojave 10-04-2011 12:16 PM

:(:(:-huh
:-roll:-roll:-roll
This thing is driving me crazy right now!!!

I'm on forums quite a lot and this is a pretty new experience to me. I wrote 1 post and while still typing it, the screen went to the forum index. No sign of what I had just typed. Then I re-wrote the message, of course it came out different. I posted that. Then a few seconds AFTER it showed the 2nd post...the 1st post showed up!!! So I go to edit the 2nd post, and when finished, I click on "submit". Instead of editing the previous post ...It put the post I was editing back as it was and took me to writing a new post. That's where I am now. Confused and frustrated!
:-X21:-X21}>:-X21

HEAVY100 10-07-2011 05:14 PM

will this platform work on a 56 f100 ?

MarauderPU 10-07-2011 06:46 PM

2003 Marauder Chassis Build tips for 61-66 Short Bed

2 Attachment(s)
From 2003 the Marauder, Crown Vic and Grand Marquis used the same upgraded chassis with the Aluminum front cross member, rack and pinion steering and a 4 link watts rear end. It's a pretty neat chassis. The front suspension is actually similar to a Corvette in Design. A true coil over shock and
Aluminum components. Of course on the Marauders came with the 4 Valve 4.6 and some other special suspension parts. I found a wreck one.

I did use the entire Marauder Wiring harness, Steering column (radio and cruise controls on the steeering wheel) You can pick up enter cars for relatively cheap, they made millions of them. Old Police cars and Hiway patrols cars have upgraded suspension and sway bars. The truck rides very nice and handles great. The Marauder and Grand Marquis had rear air bags which I kept and made adjustable.

Since the frame is wide, I had to cut about an inch out of the footwells at the bottom of the doors. I did not have to move the engine or alter the firewall. The wheelbase on the short beds is virtually the same. Marauder has a wider track but it can be made to work with the right wheels and a little trimming.

37 Ford guy 10-07-2011 07:59 PM

Hey Karl, I saw your truck at the F100 Western Nationals this year. Love it!! A short-bed uni is kinda my dream truck even though I already have a 66 shortbed. For me, the downside of putting the truck on the car chassis is that you lose a big chunk of the bed floor but I'm sure the handling and performance can make up for the sacrifice.
Great truck, though!! Would be great if you post more pics of your build.

ps...did you have any issues with registration since you changed the chassis?

Randy

MarauderPU 10-07-2011 09:16 PM

I am in the process of registering now

2 Attachment(s)
Randy: Thanks

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to Register the truck in CA. It has not been registered in CA since 1995, so it is out of the data base. That means it the VIN must be inspected by DMV or a licensed verifier. I have an original VIN on the door and it matches the title but that's it. The frame is gone and has been replaced by the Marauder Frame. I don't want to alert the DMV that it is sitting on a 2003 chassis just in case they want to claim it's a 2003 and them subject to smog, etc. I always heard that vehicles were identified and titled by the identity of body not the frame, but I amn not 100% sure that is the truth.

On the build, I could have made a smaller hump in the bed if I would have used an aftermarket gas tank under the bed verses the Marauder tank which is directly behind the rear end.
I will post some more pic of the build

MarauderPU 10-07-2011 09:33 PM

More build pics

2 Attachment(s)
Lots of hours putting new skin and forming the new hinges

MarauderPU 10-07-2011 09:37 PM

Replacing the rusting roof--Only rust on the Truck

2 Attachment(s)
I would have chopped it a couple of inches but we would have lost the nice stainless steel trim along the bottom of the window

37 Ford guy 10-07-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MarauderPU (Post 10897790)
Randy: Thanks

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to Register the truck in CA. It has not been registered in CA since 1995, so it is out of the data base. That means it the VIN must be inspected by DMV or a licensed verifier. I have an original VIN on the door and it matches the title but that's it. The frame is gone and has been replaced by the Marauder Frame. I don't want to alert the DMV that it is sitting on a 2003 chassis just in case they want to claim it's a 2003 and them subject to smog, etc. I always heard that vehicles were identified and titled by the identity of body not the frame, but I amn not 100% sure that is the truth.

Was it ever given non-op status or was the registration renewal just ignored all those years?

37 Ford guy 10-07-2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by MarauderPU (Post 10897864)
I would have chopped it a couple of inches but we would have lost the nice stainless steel trim along the bottom of the window

Personally, I like them better unchopped. That's a sweet Fairlane wagon in your shop, too!

MarauderPU 10-07-2011 10:01 PM

Title and VIN

1 Attachment(s)
Randy
From what I can tell, the truck was sold around 1995 and then sat for 15 or so years and then sold to another person. None of these owners made any changes to the title, so I have the title signed over by the owner from 2 owners ago. The Title is still open as I have not signed it. Not sure if the title has much use at this point. My issue is the missing Frame VIN. I have been told that DMV wants two locations for the VIN. I only have one.:-arrgh

Any ideas? :-X04

I am trying not to alert the DMV numbskulls that the truck is sitting on a 2003 car

37 Ford guy 10-07-2011 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by MarauderPU (Post 10897955)
Randy
From what I can tell, the truck was sold around 1995 and then sat for 15 or so years and then sold to another person. None of these owners made any changes to the title, so I have the title signed over by the owner from 2 owners ago. The Title is still open as I have not signed it. Not sure if the title has much use at this point. My issue is the missing Frame VIN. I have been told that DMV wants two locations for the VIN. I only have one.:-arrgh

Any ideas? :-X04

I am trying not to alert the DMV numbskulls that the truck is sitting on a 2003 car

I hear ya! If you have AAA you could call them and ask for a registration expert to figure out the best approach without alerting the DMV. I think having the title is a good thing. Here is a DMV checklist I found that may give you some ideas. Register a Vehicle For Which DMV Has No Records Checklist If I find anything else I'll let you know.