Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   73 F-100 4X4 Can I use a Bendix steering control valve & power cylinder instead of Garrison? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1104431-73-f-100-4x4-can-i-use-a-bendix-steering-control-valve-and-power-cylinder-instead-of-garrison.html)

PhilD 10-03-2011 04:09 PM

73 F-100 4X4 Can I use a Bendix steering control valve & power cylinder instead of Garrison?

Hey, I've got a 73 F-100 4WD Ranger XLT. It is supposed to have the Garrison power assist steering components in it, ie;power cylinder & control valve. These units were missing from the truck when I got it. I have found someone who has a Bendix control valve & power cylinder but I'm not sure if they will work on my truck. Does anyone know about these systems and if you can put Bendix components on my truck?

Thanks for any help!

Phil

montana_highboy 10-03-2011 05:46 PM

If i'm not mistaken the '73-'75 F100 4x4's used only Garrison power assist components, on the other hand, F250 4x4's used both Garrison and Bendix power assist components i.e. power cylinder and control valve, Garrison parts were used '73 to mid-year '74, Bendix parts were used mid-year '74 to mid-year '77.

PhilD 10-03-2011 07:27 PM

Using Bendix steering units instead of Garrison on a 73 F-100 4x4

Hey Montana,

Thanks for the info. The only problem I foresee is a potential difference in the length of the control valve as it runs from the Pitman arm to the steering knuckle(?) on the back of ds wheel. I put the Bendix control valve on and I'm not sure I'm getting the same degree of turn to the left as to the right. The manual steering box is probably the same as whats used with the trucks w/ Bendix system so I'm thinking the only difference is maybe pump and length of control valve and power cylinder. As an option would I just be better converting to ps from a later model?

Phil

HIO Silver 10-03-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by PhilD (Post 10881379)
Hey Montana,

I just be better converting to ps from a later model?

Phil

Lemme interject... I highly recommend retrofitting the 78-79 integral PS system. I did the swap to my 73 in mid-2009. My cost using JY and some new parts was $355. PM me your email address and I'll send you my write-up.

PhilD 10-03-2011 08:43 PM

retrofitting 78-79 ps to a power assist 73 F-100

Thanks HIO! That would be great to get that info on the conversion. I'll have to figure out how to send a PM to get that info though.

The most affordable potential option for me right now would be the Bendix units. Does anyone know if the Bendix control valve and power cylinder would work on a 73 F-100 4X4?

Regards,
Phil

montana_highboy 10-03-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhilD (Post 10881379)
The only problem I foresee is a potential difference in the length of the control valve as it runs from the Pitman arm to the steering knuckle(?) on the back of ds wheel.

Are we talking about a F100 or F250 here? on a F100 the control valve mounts parallel to the power cylinder, as part of the drag link, on a F250 the control valve mounts as you described above.

PhilD 10-03-2011 09:43 PM

73 F-100 4X4 power assist set-up

I got the truck without a control valve and just a leaky power cylinder. I wasn't familiar with these power assist systems prior to this truck. The only power assist set up I've been able to see in person is the Bendix, that has the set up as I described in the previous post. I have a 73/79 truck series 100/500 illustration (section 36) which shows the Garrison control valve in the same location as the Bendix schematic. Do you have any pics or site I could go to of the different set up for the Garrison system?

On another but possibly related note, this F-100 has 8 lug wheels. A buddy of mine says there probably was a frame swap as it should only be a 5 lug. I had a tech at an aftermarket Ford parts place tell me there were 8 lug 4X4 F-100's, so I may or may not be dealing with the original frame.

Thanks!

montana_highboy 10-03-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by PhilD (Post 10882075)
On another but possibly related note, this F-100 has 8 lug wheels.

Someone either swapped 3/4 ton axles under your F100, or, swapped a F100 cab onto a 3/4 ton chassis, based on the mounting of your control valve i'm pretty certain it's the latter.

PhilD 10-03-2011 10:47 PM

Bendix steering swap

So no F-100 4X4's had 8 lugs? I'm thinking if thats the case, I should be OK going with the Bendix power cylinder and control valve. There should be a frame # somewhere right, that'll help determine year of frame? You mentioned previously that F-250 4X4's used both Garrison and Bendix units. So if what I have is an F-250 frame, does that mean either can be used w/o issues?

Sure appreciate the help with this. I'm starting to think I'm getting somewhere with this thing again.

montana_highboy 10-03-2011 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by PhilD (Post 10882347)
So no F-100 4X4's had 8 lugs? You mentioned previously that F-250 4X4's used both Garrison and Bendix units. So if what I have is an F-250 frame, does that mean either can be used w/o issues?

Correct on both counts, though the Bendix units are more readily available, or you can opt for the 78/79 integral power steering swap HIO mentioned above.

'73-'75 were closed knuckle/drum brake axles, '76-'77 were open knuckle/disc brake axles (to help narrow down what year chassis you have).

PhilD 10-04-2011 10:09 AM

73 F-100 Power Assist Steering Questions

Alright Montana, Thanks alot for all your help. I appreciate you taking your time to help me sort out my truck issues.

My truck has the drums all the way round, so it looks like I'm in the 73-75 range for the frame.

I'll pick up the Bendix unit this week and hope that brings some power to the steering.

One last note, I'm interested in getting that info from HIO on the integral steering swap, but not sure how to send a private message.

Thanks again!

montana_highboy 10-04-2011 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by PhilD (Post 10883822)
Alright Montana, Thanks alot for all your help. I appreciate you taking your time to help me sort out my truck issues.

No problem, just so i'm sure we're on the same page here i've posted a link with a pic of both the Garrison and Bendix control valves, the Bendix is a much better unit imo....

http://www.stangerssite.com/TruckCVparts.html

PhilD 10-04-2011 12:13 PM

Bendix control valve & Garrison power cylinder compatiblity?

Thanks! I saw that site on another thread. I have the Bendix control valve but my power cylinder is a Garrison. I guess the two are not compatible. After I hooked up the control valve and turned the wheel, the steering started moving back and forth by itself. I have to shut the truck off for it to stop. I had someone locally tell me that its just air in the system that needs to be bled out, but I think I read a forum post where a member said the units are incompatible. I guess I should get some verification of that before I potentially run off again and get parts that won't work on this truck.

montana_highboy 10-04-2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PhilD (Post 10884155)
After I hooked up the control valve and turned the wheel, the steering started moving back and forth by itself. I have to shut the truck off for it to stop..

This is directly from the same site i linked to above... http://www.stangerssite.com/HowItWorksControlValve.html

"The Adjustment Nut compresses the Centering Spring so that the Spool Valve is centered inside the Housing under non-power situations. This adjusment must be correct or the Spool Valve will not center in the Housing and fluid will not go around it evenly. This will cause the power assist to favor turning one way over the other, or in extreme cases, actually want to turn the car and steering wheel by itself. The adjustment of this nut and the condition of the Centering Spring are important to prevent this from happening."

PhilD 10-04-2011 02:09 PM

Could my problem also be the incompatibility of the Bendix control valve and the Garrison power cylinder?
I also had a local guy say he had the same problem(steering going from side to side by itself) with an explorer and it was just air in the system. When he jacked up the front and bled system, it was fine.

I can get a used Bendix power cylinder to match up to the Bendix control valve but I'd hate to buy another part and put it on and have the same problem. I'm trying to explore all the possibilities and do a little more research this time.

Thanks again for the help.