Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Test driving the new Rancho RS7000MT shocks for the 6.0L (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1103965-test-driving-the-new-rancho-rs7000mt-shocks-for-the-6-0l.html)

bismic 10-01-2011 10:18 PM

Test driving the new Rancho RS7000MT shocks for the 6.0L

Matt from Rancho (user name Rancho Suspension) graciously contacted my with an offer to try out the new Rancho RS7000MT shocks for the 6.0L. Rancho is a sponsor of this forum.

To start with, let me say I was very impressed with their sincere desire for an honest assessment of their product. They were clear about this at the very beginning.

I received the rear shocks (and installed them) about a month ago. I just installed the front shocks today.

The shocks I installed were:
Front: RS7043
Rear: RS7254

The shocks I had been running were Bilstein 5100 series shocks (and I must say I really like them).

Here are my pics of the installed shocks:
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - bismic's Album: Rancho 7000 shocks

First let me say, I have had Rancho shocks before - Rancho 9000's on my 7.3L. I personally really didn't care for them, but I do know folks that love them. I just couldn't find a ride that suited me with them.

My driving habits consist of towing a 7000lb trailer, driving back roads (some of them VERY rough) to the deer lease, and only occasional load hauling in the bed (usually things for the deer lease).

When I received the shocks, it was evident that they were heavy duty from the weight and the construction. Very similar in size (tube and shaft) to the Bilsteins.

Nothing unusual about the install - all went well. I do like the "backup" nut that they have welded onto the shaft on the front shocks (just below where the boot attaches at the top). The Bilstein's don't have that so with them, I had to hold the shaft w/ vice grips to tighten the top nut on install.

The rear shocks performed exceptionally well. During the month I have run them, I have run the deer lease "back roads" twice and hauled 1500 lbs (+) of corn and tools in the bed for 75 miles (again much of it on back roads). I have not towed with them. No sag from the load and no "shimmy" when going over the washboard caliche roads. I tried low speeds and high speeds and the shocks felt good. They certainly performed as well as the Bilsteins.

With the front shocks installed, I have now driven 75 highway miles, some city miles, and I have made one hunting trip. The first thing I noticed on the front shocks was that the Bilsteins were slightly easier to compress by hand. Not a lot different, but definitely noticeable. I expected that, based on this experience, that they would feel stiffer than the Bilsteins. I couldn't really notice that they were stiffer on the highway or the city driving. When taking the regular city speed bumps or hitting the average pot-hole, the shocks compressed and only oscillated 1 1/2 times before snapping back to the original position. Very crisp.

The stiffer performance was clear when I hit the back-roads. The back roads definitely felt a little rougher w/ the Rancho's when compared to the Bilsteins. It was not at all uncomfortable, but the difference was there. As I drive them more on the back roads, I will update the thread.

The only negative thing is that the top of the upper mounting stud on the driver's side comes VERY close to a wire bundle. It looks like a probable "future chaffing issue". I repositioned the bundle and tie-wrapped it, but I am going to have to protect it better some how. Neither of my previous shocks had this issue as bad - the mounting stud on the Rancho's is slightly longer than OEM or Bilstein shocks.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/m...-img-0244.html
It is no big deal to resolve and I bet that not all trucks will have an issue as it seems that the wire bundle routing isn't necessarily exactly the same in each vehicle. Something to watch out for though.

I am very pleased with these shocks. I think Rancho has a very good product with them. So far, I have seen nothing that would keep me from recommending these as a very good, heavy duty shock.

I know that this thread doesn't deal w/ the diesel engine, so I don't mind if the thread gets moved. I just thought I would start here (force of habit)!

bpounds 10-01-2011 11:04 PM

First I have heard of this model. Thanks for the well written report.

I would rep, but you know how it is.

Maxium4x4 10-02-2011 07:36 AM

Great to hear Mark, keep updating on the shocks as you get more time on the back roads and Happy hunting..:-X22 Rancho stepped up and delivered as promised and Matt has been great to answer any questions on the new 7000's

smokersteve 10-02-2011 10:16 PM

Thanks mark!

Lets hope that these BRAND NEW shocks sustain their performance.

Rancho Suspension 10-03-2011 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the review. What inspired this was seeing Epic Cowlick's video review of the shocks/stabilizer, that video was amazing to see how the 9000XL and a steering stabilizer worked. I reached out to a mod and he pointed me to bismic. What I wanted was someone who would get out there and use them a lot. The back roads was key to test dampening/rebound and performance. I have only used these shocks on a Jeep Wrangler JK, and coming from the RS9000XL's, I also noticed the firmness. But I really liked them. I went on a 1,000 mile journey across Colorado, a lot of highway and a lot of hard core trails and these shocks performed great.

Another great shock to consider. We offer are 90 day performance guarantee. If you aren't happy return them for a refund. We also offer our limited lifetime warranty as well.
Rancho Suspension: Shocks » RS7000MT™

We have rolled out a lot of different applications, with a lot more to be launched in the next few weeks as well.

Attachment 233638

Feel free to PM me. I sometimes miss posts in various threads but I do answer PM's fairly quickly. Thanks again!

bismic 10-03-2011 10:17 AM

Matt -
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to give these shocks a try. I plan on a few more hunting trips soon, so I should have plenty of chances to "beat on them" some more - lol.

Mark

bismic 10-03-2011 01:15 PM

One thing to add -

I run tires that are Load Rated "E" and keep them aired to 80 psig. I do this to keep from getting flats. The high tire pressure is great for shedding mesquite tree thorns, cactus thorns, etc.

This is going to inherently make the ride a noteiceable amount more rough.

cheezit 10-03-2011 05:48 PM

hey Matt I have about 75k miles on my truck and its about time to replace the fronts. truck spends 90% of its time on the highway. not real pleased with the ranchos that came oem on the fx4. any suggestions?

Rancho Suspension 10-04-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by cheezit (Post 10880948)
hey Matt I have about 75k miles on my truck and its about time to replace the fronts. truck spends 90% of its time on the highway. not real pleased with the ranchos that came oem on the fx4. any suggestions?

I would look at the 9000XL's with that much highway time.
The reason being is that being the adjustable style you can find what you like (not what engineers who are trying to balance full load/empty/trailering demands).
The main reason is that (like the new RS7000MT) they come with a 90 day performance and ride guarantee, which as a consumer myself, is a nice peace of mind.

Zmann 10-05-2011 03:20 PM

I absolutely love My 9000's I wasn't impressed with My Bilsteins but the adjustability of the 9000's is where it's at for Me

Why the 7000 series? whats it about ?

Maxium4x4 10-05-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zmann (Post 10888952)

If I had to guess, price to fit all budgets, a great choice between OEM and the 9000's.

Rancho Suspension 10-05-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zmann (Post 10888952)
I absolutely love My 9000's I wasn't impressed with My Bilsteins but the adjustability of the 9000's is where it's at for Me

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4 (Post 10889262)
If I had to guess, price to fit all budgets, a great choice between OEM and the 9000's.

Maximum 4x4 nailed it. We have been approached by both consumers and vendors looking for something like this for a while now. Many consumers like the mono tube design as well from who ever the manufacturer is. I can't wait to drive these on a truck as well, as a truck is my DD.

Maxium4x4 10-05-2011 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension (Post 10889356)
I can't wait to drive these on a truck as well, as a truck is my DD.

Walking the thin line Matt? :-missingt or should I not go there....:-X04

Rancho Suspension 10-05-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Maxium4x4 (Post 10889380)
Walking the thin line Matt? :-missingt or should I not go there....:-X04

WHAT!?!?! :-X03
DD Daily Driver!

Maxium4x4 10-05-2011 05:36 PM

}> F-Series are the leading seller, just saying....