Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Wheels:Chrome or powdercoat? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1103899-wheels-chrome-or-powdercoat.html)

1949 F6 10-01-2011 05:49 PM

Wheels:Chrome or powdercoat?

It has come time to decide what finish I want on my 19.5 inch 5 luggers. My question is should I go with powedercoat (at about $75 a pop) or chrome (double that)? Chrome goes with anything and just looks awesome but black or white powdercoat is pretty neutral as well. I think powdercoat would hold up better too. I have heard of chrome powdercoat but I would have to see to believe. What do you guys think?

For those of you interested about how I came across my particular set, I found a set of 6 nearly new Goodyear G159s (I am aware of the recall but it only pertains to hauling very heavly loads long distances at highway speeds, which I will not be doing) with 8 lug wheels for sale on craigslist. I beat the guy down to $600 from $750, took the wheels to a local RV parts place and traded them for 5 of the 5 luggers. I am not going to run duals so Ill even have a spare!

truckdog62563 10-01-2011 06:56 PM

I have mine powder coated. Durable, and the classic look. I've also known of guys with chrome rims on light duty trucks that don't hold lug nut torque. Powder coat, or just regular paint, is my vote. Stu

Moe Craig 10-01-2011 08:30 PM

I like the powder coated rims... Nice and durable... Chrome is hard to get done good... A lot of times it only last a short time and then starts to rust or flake...

havi 10-01-2011 08:50 PM

Count me in on the black powdercoat. Black is stock.

However, Harleymsn's truck with the white wheels look great.

1949 F6 10-01-2011 11:05 PM

Ok so powdercoat it is. Now I just need to decide black or white. Any pictures of trucks with white rims?

Damifiknow 10-02-2011 07:54 AM

Powder coat. You gotta clean chrome or it will pit and rust. I had american racing wheels on my van and they were a pain to keep clean.

tinman52 10-02-2011 10:13 AM

Chroming wheels would cost a fortune.....powdercoat looks nice, but I dislike it because it is applied over bare metal and can trap moisture with bad results. I'll stick with paint myself.....plus it comes in EVERY color you can imagine!

PresaMax 10-02-2011 10:28 AM

Powder coat!

Moe Craig 10-02-2011 10:50 AM

Everything is only as good as who is doing the work... Chrome, Powder Coat or paint...

1949 F6 10-09-2011 04:52 PM

Just to close things up, I decided on black powdercoat. Should look nice when i get it done.

ALBUQ F-1 10-09-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by tinman52 (Post 10875702)
Chroming wheels would cost a fortune.....powdercoat looks nice, but I dislike it because it is applied over bare metal and can trap moisture with bad results. I'll stick with paint myself.....plus it comes in EVERY color you can imagine!

Powdercoat can't be touched up after the goons at the tire shop wrangle them on, either. If it isn't too late to suggest painting the centers black and the rims argent, I think that is a great Big Truck look.

Moe Craig 10-09-2011 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 10902790)
Powdercoat can't be touched up after the goons at the tire shop wrangle them on, either. If it isn't too late to suggest painting the centers black and the rims argent, I think that is a great Big Truck look.

When you go to have custom powder coated rims mounted with new rims... You need to talk to the company that is doing the work and make sure they know that they need to take care with mounting and dismounting tires... if they know that they are special they will take speachel care and not dig into the rims....