Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Rear end "clunk"..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1103012-rear-end-clunk.html)

redranger1 09-28-2011 09:36 AM

Rear end "clunk".....

Ok fellas, i have an 08' 4x4 with the 5.4. When i back out of a parking spot for example the rear end "Clunks" when i but it in drive and give it gas to move. Also does the same when your driving fwd, put it in reverse and try to back up. I had a 98' 4x4 ranger that had the same noise under same circumstances and it was recalled and repaired. Anybody got any ideas? Is this an issues that needs to be addressed? Thanks!

FSeriesGuy04 09-28-2011 10:21 AM

Have you checked your U-Joints? :-X22

redranger1 09-28-2011 01:08 PM

I forgot this was a public forum and there is always that one guy that assumes that everybody else is ignorant and that the problem is always the obvious. So to clear this up the u-joints are good, there is lube in the rear, none of the seals leak, the tires have air, the brakes work, yes it is a 4x4 and the 4x4 works, the tank has fuel, and i just replaced the wiper blades.

So ill restate my question. Anybody else ever had anything similar? Thanks.

FSeriesGuy04 09-28-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by redranger1 (Post 10861721)
I forgot this was a public forum and there is always that one guy that assumes that everybody else is ignorant and that the problem is always the obvious. So to clear this up the u-joints are good, there is lube in the rear, none of the seals leak, the tires have air, the brakes work, yes it is a 4x4 and the 4x4 works, the tank has fuel, and i just replaced the wiper blades.

Well let me apologize for trying to eliminate the minor things that may pertain to your symptoms. Try checking your pinion bearing? Could be a loose axle mount as well...

ssrider 09-28-2011 09:54 PM

Are you sure its coming from the rear and not the driveshaft slip yolk? I have the same clunk when I accelerate from a stop. It has been doing it for about a year and at first I could fix temporarly it by taking the driveshaft off and greasing the splines. Its gotten considerably worse in the last 6 months and the grease isn't helping anymore. I'm not sure where to go from here

redranger1 09-29-2011 07:37 AM

I suppose i cannot be %100 sure it isnt the slip yoke splines. Ill check into that. How did you figure out thats where it was coming from?

ssrider 09-29-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by redranger1 (Post 10864643)
I suppose i cannot be %100 sure it isnt the slip yoke splines. Ill check into that. How did you figure out thats where it was coming from?

Did some searching on this forum as well as F150online. Other guys were having the same problem and found it to be the slip yolk. Then when I greased it the first time it went away for about a month. Its bad now though, some guys said they ended up having to buy a new driveshaft

GDog68 10-01-2011 11:50 AM

My truck did that at one time. Took it back to the dealer before my warranty went out and they had to replace the "clutches" in the rear end.

lakeforkfisherman 10-01-2011 09:29 PM

My 04 SCrew 5.4 has done it since about 20k. Had rebuilt tranny under warranty at 56k- probably overkill but the dealer wanted to do it. Was fine til around 70k and started doing it again. Seems to be slowly getting worse. Not sure what to do about it either. I don't tow anything and I treat my SCrew with utmost care and maintenance. I just turned 100k last week.

BMLocal175 10-02-2011 11:44 AM

I have a 05 that has clunked since day one. I've learned to work the throttle as I start off. Seems the higher the rpms on takeoff the less chance of a clunk. I don't get it to often because I know when its going to do it. There are TSB's on this and when I printed one out to go to local dealer I pretty much got the shaft. Didn't apply to this truck, didn't have this or that blah blah.

Some guys have put in a grease fitting where they could add grease whenever and I would like to know how and where to do this if it helps. I think it is where the slip yoke is.

cb_13 10-02-2011 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by redranger1 (Post 10861721)

Maybe its the driver because you are obviously a douche with an attitude like that.

redranger1 10-04-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by cb_13 (Post 10876043)
Maybe its the driver because you are obviously a douche with an attitude like that.

Another problem with public forums. The third party guy that thinks he has to stink his nose into something not concerning him by add in his two cents after all is said and done instigating even more problems.

You Sir, should be a lil more productive member on the forum if you would like to build more then 100 posts and gain some credibility. If not perhaps you ought to find another forum stir up trouble on.

billbrasky 10-09-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by cb_13 (Post 10876043)

I would have went with jerk, douche just makes me think of the guys on the jersey shore tv program.