Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Water seperator warning (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1102294-water-seperator-warning.html)

Rob381 09-25-2011 06:49 PM

Water seperator warning

My water seperator warning light came on while driving today, but after i drained it, the only thing that changed was the wrench warning light is now on also. I have drained the seperator four more times and every time there was no water in the seperator. Could the sensor be bad? As for the wrench the only thing I found on that is for the DPF needing to be de-ashed. The truck has 125,000 miles on it and I got the lattest flash a month ago. I usually get my fuel from Shell and add Power Service Cetane booster. I have a SCT livewire and dpf delete pipe ready to go on. Hope this is enough info.

bigcountryfs 09-25-2011 07:55 PM

mine did that once and i had gel built up at the sensor. i had to remove the drain spout and the filter and use my air hose to blow thru the holes where the drain spout was to the filter hole. use low pressure and watch o-rings.

Tom 09-25-2011 08:13 PM

The HFCM can get clogged up with gunk and cause problems with the sensor, but I think it's likely that your wrench light is something different. I would suggest getting it checked out by your local Ford dealer. This could be a serious problem, I would get it checked out ASAP.

Jessef250 09-25-2011 09:06 PM

The wrench light comes on when the water separator light comes on. Thanks to the new flash, nothing major. Get a water separator sensor, take the fuel filter out and spray b-12 through the sensor hole and clean best as possible. I wouldn't suggest air hose! But this is what we do at the dealership!!

senix 09-26-2011 05:07 AM

What makes you think they DPF is bad BTW?

Rob381 09-26-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10851945)
What makes you think they DPF is bad BTW?

The only mention I saw of the wrench warning light was in the suplement manual on page 47. It stated the filter may need to be removed for ash cleaning at 120k and I'm at 125k.

Rob381 09-26-2011 09:11 AM

Thanks for the great info guys. I will try cleaning it out today and let you know if that was the issue.

Jessef250 09-26-2011 11:53 AM

Rob381, are you going to clean the dpf first?

Rob381 09-26-2011 12:31 PM

So while I was looking at the HCFM to see what I needed to clean it out I diconnected the sensor and reconnected. This seems to have cleared out all the faults. I still plan to take it apart and clean it but its running great now. As for the DPF delete there is a problem with the Livewire device and I have to send to SCT to udate the firmware. Thanks again for the great info guys.

Slick60ZX14 08-20-2014 06:55 PM

Got a question.... I have a 2008 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.4 and was going down the road the other day and the wrench light came on.. then the panel lit up that the fuel/water separator needed draining... but I also noted a loss in power.. how much fuel is suppose to run out of the separator before it stops???... the key is out, and ignition is off... and I have run out 2 gallons and it will not stop running... it acts like it wants to drain the tank...

senix 08-20-2014 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Slick60ZX14 (Post 14599506)
Got a question.... I have a 2008 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.4 and was going down the road the other day and the wrench light came on.. then the panel lit up that the fuel/water separator needed draining... but I also noted a loss in power.. how much fuel is suppose to run out of the separator before it stops???... the key is out, and ignition is off... and I have run out 2 gallons and it will not stop running... it acts like it wants to drain the tank...

After about a pint you are doing no good. Any water is out by now.

If you have reduced power then I would advise a tow. You have water throughout the system.

bubbasz1 08-21-2014 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Slick60ZX14 (Post 14599506)

When you drain the separator do it into a glass dish so you can see if there was water in it. Could be that your sensor needs to be cleaned also. As above you only need to drain a pint or so to get the water out, if you still have water in the system after the first pint you have a contamination issue that needs to looked at. Water is not your friend, drive as little as possible or not at all if you think you have a bad batch of fuel.

Tawn 08-21-2014 06:24 PM

I had the EXACT same symptoms. It was a flogged up fuel/water separator.

See my thread on it:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ch-symbol.html