Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   HELP!! Air suspension problems on 2000 Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1101861-help-air-suspension-problems-on-2000-navigator.html)

browntown3 09-23-2011 08:11 PM

HELP!! Air suspension problems on 2000 Navigator

Guys, Never had any problems with my air suspension until today. Got out at the grocery store and noticed it was already low, like it had released the air but didnt think much of it. Came back with a load of groceries and started home immediatley i never heard my compressor kick on and it never did the whole way home. No check suspension light or anything happend ?
I just got home and checked all the fuses first and made sure the suspension switch was on. All the fuses were fine. So im thinking i have a bad compressor but wouldnt that make the Check Suspension light come on ??

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to troubleshoot my suspension. I have a ton of work planned this weekend and the next couple weeks i need my Navigator for. Gotta get it fixed ASAP............Thanks guys!!

Also, this thing is totally bottomed out right now as in its the lowest ive ever seen it riding............will it do any damage to drive it this way ? i have to pull a trailer tomorrow with about 2000 lbs on it?? I'm thinking im goin to have to borrow my dads chevy :(

browntown3 09-24-2011 07:33 AM

Does anyone know if you can bypass the relay to see if the compressor is getting power ? I think ive narrowed it down to either the relay or compresor? Or again would the Check suspension light come on with either of these not working correctly ?

Moto Mel 09-24-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by browntown3 (Post 10845960)
Does anyone know if you can bypass the relay to see if the compressor is getting power ? I think ive narrowed it down to either the relay or compresor? Or again would the Check suspension light come on with either of these not working correctly ?

The Check Suspension light should come on with nearly any malfunction of the system. You can go the the relay that is behind the bumper and fog light on the pass. side and jump around there. If the compressor comes on it is most likely not the problem. Pump the suspension up and turn the switch off once the truck is up and watch it to see where the problem might be. There are a bunch of solenoids and valves that could be the problem, first you have to narrow the search down. There is a pressure relief valve in the back of the Navigator that could be the poblem.
I'm sending you a P.M.

browntown3 09-26-2011 06:25 AM

Update

Just an FYI for anyone that has clicked on my thread hoping for answers. I found the culprit to be a bad connection at the wiring harness on the relay. It looks like the plastic housing has gotten hot and melted slightly around one of the 4 connectors and made the connection go bad. Might want to check that also when you are troubleshooting. I dont know if thats 100% of the problem I am thinking there are some underlying factors making the harness get that hot but for now its working.