Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Crossovers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum219/)
-   -   Edge Rear Brakes (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1101681-edge-rear-brakes.html)

soondg 09-23-2011 02:24 AM

Edge Rear Brakes

Since we've owned the vehicle we get a groaning noise when ever the vehicle is in reverse. I took it to the dealers a couple of times and he said there was nothing wrong. Now I'm getting a noise as though it's metal to metal. I checked from the outside and the rotors are okay but, I didn't pull the wheels yet. It's an 07 AWD with approx. 45,000 miles. I bought it as a rental buy back with 24,000. Seems I read some where there may be a problem in the rear, but I don't remember where. I checked the TSB's and didn't see anything, if anyone is up on this I would appreciate your feed back,

grec-o-face 12-02-2011 12:52 PM

My wife's 07 AWD has the same groaning noise when backing up. It seems to go away though. There's no sign of rotor damage either. I think the rear's are worn anyway (the pedal is really low) - and the noise just tells me I'm probably right.

It has about 38000 on it. I'm going to replace all the brakes very soon.

trfield58 12-05-2011 06:11 AM

My wife's 2007 Edge had all kinds of noises from the rear brakes.(around 50k miles) The groaning that you are talking about, AND..after driving for about 40 - 50 miles, we would hear a loud whine from the rear. If you tapped the brakes, it would stop for a minute or so. I alsonoticed that the right rear rotor would get very hot after driving for awhile (I would shoot it with a Temp gun) I suspected a bad caliper but it ended up being the parking brake hanging up. The parking brake is small brake shoes on the inside of the rear rotors. There is a Tech bulletin on the noises caused by the rear brakes, etc. Anyhow, I simply did a complete brake job using new rotors and pads from EBC and loosened up the E-brake shoes. Wow, the brakes were never this good AND....QUIET

grec-o-face 12-05-2011 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by trfield58 (Post 11115329)
My wife's 2007 Edge had all kinds of noises from the rear brakes.(around 50k miles) The groaning that you are talking about, AND..after driving for about 40 - 50 miles, we would hear a loud whine from the rear. If you tapped the brakes, it would stop for a minute or so. I alsonoticed that the right rear rotor would get very hot after driving for awhile (I would shoot it with a Temp gun) I suspected a bad caliper but it ended up being the parking brake hanging up. The parking brake is small brake shoes on the inside of the rear rotors. There is a Tech bulletin on the noises caused by the rear brakes, etc. Anyhow, I simply did a complete brake job using new rotors and pads from EBC and loosened up the E-brake shoes. Wow, the brakes were never this good AND....QUIET

I think I'm going with PowerStop pads and rotors. I've always had good luck with them - I even have them on my Super Duty.

trfield58 12-05-2011 01:58 PM

I agree. I have used Powerstop pads and rotors and they are very good. I went with EBC because my brother had tried them and loved them. So far, I'm happy with them

soondg 12-06-2011 11:55 PM

It turned out to be from her right rear also. I replaced the rotor and pads and also adjusted the parking brake. The noise is gone now and your right it stops much better.

trfield58 12-08-2011 03:55 PM

Great. I'm glad it worked for you.

Tim