Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   1951 V8 Flathead Fuel Pump Block Off (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1101232-1951-v8-flathead-fuel-pump-block-off.html)

1951flatheaddave 09-21-2011 01:58 PM

1951 V8 Flathead Fuel Pump Block Off

Hello, My 1951 F1 V8 flathead has an electric fuel pump connected right to the carb. The mechanical pump is still there but just not hooked up. I ordered a block off plate for the intake manifold and someone told me the intake needs removed and the fuel pump pushrod hole needs a plug put in or the engine would lose a tremendous amount of oil pressure. Others have said they have blocked the fuel pump off and left the pushrod hole alone and have had no problems.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

ALBUQ F-1 09-21-2011 02:06 PM

No, nope, uh-uh. Pull the rod out the fuel pump hole and put the block-off plate on. You're done. 59-series engines (pre-'48) needed the bushing for the pushrod plugged or there would be a loss of oil pressure. 8BA/8RT engines do not.

1951flatheaddave 09-21-2011 02:17 PM

Thank you!!! I really wasnt looking forward to pulling the intake off!

4tl8ford 09-21-2011 04:39 PM

or
Plugging the Fuel Pump Pushrod Bushing on a Flathead - THE H.A.M.B.

flathead fuel pump rod hole - THE H.A.M.B.

Technical Flathead fuel pump rod? - THE H.A.M.B.

ALBUQ F-1 09-21-2011 05:01 PM

Did you find a definitive answer in any of that, Dick?! Personally, I cut the old pushrod, welded a nut on top, and dropped it in, because at the time I was so confused by the discussions on the Flathead Forum. It's been bantered around back and forth so many times that I lean towards the real experts (Bruse Lancaster, Ol Ron, etc) not these guys who say an old-timer "who must know" told them such-and-such. The differences between 59 and 8BA are frequently lost in those discussions; on the early engine the breather is right there, on the 8BA it isn't.

Dave, you can't go wrong leaving a chunk of the rod in there, enough to fill the bushing but not so much it touches the cam lobe, with something permanent on top to keep it there. But there are plenty of them running with nothing in the hole. Watch your oil pressure and judge for yourself.

4tl8ford 09-21-2011 06:07 PM

I always plug them cause all the Ex-Sperts confuse me - I use wooden dowels mostly so I don't damage the bushing

tinman52 09-21-2011 07:20 PM

I used a piece of dowel......I was told that oil mist would would escape if left open. No biggie, just a peace of mind thing. Either way, you won't lose oil pressure.

52flatheadf1 07-07-2015 08:11 PM

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I just bought a 52 ford f1. Previous owner put in an electric fuel pump and left the mechanic fuel pump mounted to the intake, but disconnected except for the vacuum line. Should I at least disconnect the vacuum line to it? If I do, and I do a PCV on this, can I plug the PCV into that vacuum port? Sorry for my ignorance, I am new to working on these vehicles and want to learn!!

Thanks!

ALBUQ F-1 07-07-2015 10:45 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Is your fuel pump the kind with both a fuel pump and a vacuum pump? It sounds like it. If the vacuum pump still works, just leave it be. Are the fuel connections plugged, or does it also work?

No, the PCV cannot go to that vacuum connection.

petemcl 11-26-2020 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 10834807)
No, nope, uh-uh. Pull the rod out the fuel pump hole and put the block-off plate on. You're done. 59-series engines (pre-'48) needed the bushing for the pushrod plugged or there would be a lose of oil pressure. 8BA/8RT engines do not.

Thanks Ross. I am glad that we can search for answers on this forum. I had read about a bushing plug but I have never had a problem without it on my 8BA.

ALBUQ F-1 11-26-2020 05:06 PM

When I first went to an electric pump, I cut the old pushrod and welded a heavy nut on the top, dropped it in the bushing. It didn't touch the cam eccentric. Two years later I had occassion to pull the manifold and found the plug laying in the valley! I put it back in, and started the engine with the blanking cover off -- the plug shot right out of the bushing! I'd been driving it like that with no ill effects or noticeable change in OP. At the time I had a lathe so I took a long 1/2" bolt and made a plug that came to just under the blanking plate, so it couldn't pop out. Overkill but always looking for a lathe project!

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...98f6d4cc0f.jpg