Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   What temp do you plug in (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1099927-what-temp-do-you-plug-in.html)

kawcrasher 09-16-2011 12:14 PM

What temp do you plug in

This will be my first winter with this truck. I have lots of experience the Diesels, but not the PSD. My other Diesel's all are different for when they need plugged in so I'm sure this one will be too. At what temp do you guys plug in overnight and what temp do you need to plug in at work (10 hours)? I'm thinking 30 for overnight and 5 for work?

Currently the Big OTR Series 60 gets the cord at 35, it will start easy into the twenty's (has a Quick start system on it Quick Start Products & Solutions | Diesel Engine Ether Injection Systems )but the neighbors don't like not being able to see. The old 12V Cummins p/u liked it around twenty,but you'd freeze waiting for heat. And the Kubota will light right off at -10, if the fuel will flow.

ToMang07 09-16-2011 12:18 PM

I have a timer, and I set it to turn on 2.5 hours before I need to leave, and I only set it when it is 35* or below. Don't really need it till the 20's, but it helps save the batteries a little. Don't forget some Anti-gel additive, I loke the Power Service/Diesel Kleen in the white bottle. Had it as low as -25* (Cold Start) with no gelling issues. :-X22

SteveH-CO 09-16-2011 12:42 PM

Now that I have synthetic oil, I won't be as paranoid, but below 30-ish is where I plug in. I don't drive it every day, so I can plan ahead the night before and set it up on a timer to come on at 3 AM.

nlemerise 09-16-2011 12:47 PM

Before winter comes, check out your glow plugs and the glow plug relay (GPR). Put an LED on the dash to monitor the glow plugs, so you wait until they have shut off BEFORE trying to start the truck (on real cold mornings I run the glow plugs for two cycles). Consider switching over to 5-40 synthetic oil (really helps cold starts). I don't bother with a heater unless we are going to single-digits or lower...but when I do use the heater, I run it for 2 hours using a timer.

cj45lc 09-16-2011 01:14 PM

like Neal says if everything is up to snuff it'll start, mines been plugged in one time just to see if the heater worked.

cps 09-16-2011 01:18 PM

i like to plug in when it is near freezing, for about 3hrs, just so the heater will work faster. i use 5w-40 sythn oil so cold starts never been a issue with out it being plugged in.

RainStroked 09-16-2011 01:54 PM

Yea I usually don't plug in even down into the teens and as low as single digits, never had a problem starting even with Delo, but it's rarely that cold here. I just replaced my o-rings, GPR, and glow plugs last March so I think I should be ready to go, and I will run T6 this winter.

7.3 Rocket 09-16-2011 02:27 PM

I rarely, if ever, plug my truck in.

The only thing it does for me is keep the snow from sticking to the hood as much and give me heat faster.

We saw -2* this winter and with no additive (NOT recommended) and no plug in (not concerned) it started right up with one cycle of the plugs. It sputtered for a minute or so but after that she was happy.

That's with 5w40 synthetic and 2 year old Optima red tops.

clem1226 09-16-2011 02:34 PM

I have started mine as cold as -17, stone cold sat overnight with Delo 15/40. It sounded like hell.....kind of like a pete jackson noisy gear drive on a small block chevy, so I shut if off an restarted and it was fine.

I usually plug mine in at 35 or below with a 3 hour timer and set the hvac control to full heat and defrost so when I use my remote start she will be ready to go.

Brother Les 09-16-2011 03:42 PM

took me three years to find the plug ... :-missingt When I did, I just shoved it back where I found it..... and that has been many years ago.

miller_feed 09-16-2011 04:31 PM

Not much need for the heater down here. :-drink

snakedoc 09-16-2011 04:35 PM

we dont have the cold temps down here but for me 35* for 2 hours.

ghig1967 09-16-2011 08:02 PM

I agree.. 2 winters ago, I was running Rotella dino & had a horrible time with cold starts.. Last winter...I found my GPR wasn't working properly so I changed it out, added the LED & changed to Rotella semi-synthetic & I rarely plugged it in unless we were in the single digits or below & never had an issue...

Originally Posted by nlemerise (Post 10816841)
Before winter comes, check out your glow plugs and the glow plug relay (GPR). Put an LED on the dash to monitor the glow plugs, so you wait until they have shut off BEFORE trying to start the truck (on real cold mornings I run the glow plugs for two cycles). Consider switching over to 5-40 synthetic oil (really helps cold starts). I don't bother with a heater unless we are going to single-digits or lower...but when I do use the heater, I run it for 2 hours using a timer.

ToMang07 09-16-2011 08:06 PM

Anyone have a link on how to hook up the LED for the glow plugs? I'm tempted to do that.

ghig1967 09-16-2011 08:28 PM

Here ya go

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...wmriceman.html