Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   FE & FT Big Block V8 (332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum51/)
-   -   Head Gasket on a 360 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1099514-head-gasket-on-a-360-a.html)

Tedybear 09-14-2011 08:56 PM

Head Gasket on a 360

Fast question:

Working out all the issues with our 360:

I noted they offer a head gasket..and a head spacer.

Main question: What is the purpose of the spacer in relationship to the gasket? Is it always needed, optional, etc... If I have to pull the right head off the engine to repair the exhaust problems on that side...I need to know if it is required to use both a spacer (and how it goes in) with the gasket.

Thanks!!!

S-

FFR428 09-15-2011 06:51 AM

There are 2 (on each side 4 total) metal O shaped dowels that lineup the head on the block. Is that what you mean by spacers? If so then yes you need them.

FFR428 09-15-2011 06:53 AM

Forgot to add they just push in by hand.

Tedybear 09-15-2011 07:44 AM

Those would be the dowel pins or guide pins.

When I look up the head gaskets at Napa or Advance auto they list two. One is an actual head gasket and the other is a head gasket spacer shim

Felpro Head Gasket Spacer Shim
Part No. 8554 SP

Felpro Head Gasket
Part No. 8554 PT

Felpro Cylinder Head Alignment Dowel Pin
Part No. ES 74007

Now I know what the dowels pins are used for :D

Question is? When I pull the cylinder head to repair the exhaust manifold bolts and all that fun jazz...what is the purpose behind the spacer shim--and is it always used, and if so--How? (I've worked on newer engine heads in the past, never one that used a spacer shim)

Just trying to save a buck where possible. If I do not need the part, it's not going to get replaced. Or is this the case of not knowing if a spacer is used until I rip it apart?

Best Regards-

S-

FFR428 09-15-2011 07:58 AM

8554 sp is the copper head gasket. Like the old OEM steel shim gaskets. You just need the std head gaskets unless you need to bump compression up. You don't use both together. Does not say what tyhe thickness is on the copper gaskets but the oem steel shim are around .015 to .016 on stainless.

Tedybear 09-15-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by FFR428 (Post 10812107)
8554 sp is the copper head gasket. Like the old OEM steel shim gaskets. You just need the std head gaskets unless you need to bump compression up. You don't use both together. Does not say what tyhe thickness is on the copper gaskets but the oem steel shim are around .015 to .016 on stainless.

Felpro Head Gasket
Part No. 8554 PT

Not needing extra compression. (that old gal runs pretty decent, considering the last owner ran it for a longgggggggggg while with a blow fuel pump dumping gas into the oil)

So the 8554 PT should be the only gasket I'll need, along with the exhaust manifold gaskets once I get the cob-job repaired.

This is going to be 'Fun'..... (NOT.....) (Ok...Sure..it's a ford..it's not work it is therapy)

S-