Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   BED PLATE LEAKING OIL (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1098971-bed-plate-leaking-oil.html)

NORTHLAND06 09-12-2011 07:58 PM

BED PLATE LEAKING OIL

The last two years in row i have had to take my truck for oil leak and turns out to be the bed plate gasket leaking oil. At least it's under warr. or cost way to much to fix. Because you have to pull the motor out. That means the cab comes off and you pull the motor out. 3 to 4 days in the shop. The first 3 years i own the truck no problems with it, but now oil leaks. They hope it's fixed now. They resealed it and let set overnight to make sure the bed plate gasket had seated right and and the other stuff set up right also. Anybody herd this problem or had this problem?:-huh:-huh:-arrgh

Tom 09-12-2011 09:37 PM

Yup, this was an unfortunately common problem with the 6.0L engine, which shares the same basic architecture as the 6.4L engine. It happens from time to time, but isn't what I'd call common at this point.

The repair is a tough one if you're not under warranty, with any luck yours won't give you any more trouble!

senix 09-13-2011 06:22 AM

I hope it is cured for you. I watch mine all the time and so far so good. Not sure at which point I would no longer worry about looking for it.

I wonder if the first time they did the job they did not get a proper seal?

952X4 09-13-2011 04:59 PM

Had the same problem with mine, was in the shop for over a week... My truck leaked like a sieve, if it wasn't oil it was coolant, one of the many reasons I traded it in on a new 6.7

Dim Sum 09-13-2011 06:34 PM

I had the same problem with my 2010. Bedplate was warped bad enough that they replaced it.

Its not "common" but it isn't "uncommon" with the motor. If you search leaky bedplate, you'll find pages of repairs.

The good thing I read was that once the procedure was completed, they don't leak.

Mine spent 4 weeks in the shop as the had had leaks from several other places. I would plan on your truck being gone a week. I was leaking about a quart a week out of mine when I brought it in.

cheezit 09-13-2011 07:48 PM

you dont replace just a bedplate for being warped... the bedplate is the lower cradle for the crankshaft and it is as to be expected line board for the crank bearings. if it is warped then the short block requires replacment.

Dim Sum 09-13-2011 08:58 PM

Interesting.....maybe that's why it took so long :/.

NORTHLAND06 12-30-2014 04:55 PM

It's been three years sense repair no leaks good. Than after that radiator leaked.

GPSK61 01-03-2015 01:39 PM

Bed Plate

Just one of the many 6.4 issues I've also had. What was really nice about it was how many things the tech broke or didn't properly reinstall. When I put the Banks system in I found lots of issues including a broken clamp for the wiring harness plug. Just ripped off without a care. Flat rate = shoddy workmanship. And unfortunately no recourse for the customer.

Can't tell you how many professionals I've seen pound u-joints out with a ball peen hammer. Hacks.

davalt75 03-12-2015 02:26 PM

I've got a 2010 with a little over 67,000 miles on it. Yesterday I noticed a few drops of oil in the driveway. I crawled underneath today to check it out and it looked like the oil was coming from the rear of the engine somewhere above the oil pan. Not leaking bad, but enough for the tell tale drops on the driveway. Digging around online, I've read a lot of posts about the bed plate leaking and it sounds like that might be what I've got. Truck is not under warranty and I imagine it's a pretty expensive repair being a cab off job. Anyone have any ballpark figures of what the repair is out of pocket? I'm sure it will probably get worse if I let it go but as long as it is only dripping, I will try to hold off for a while. Any harm in that?

Tom 03-12-2015 07:57 PM

As long as you keep oil in it you won't have any problems. This isn't a cheap repair, the engine has to come out to replace the bedplate gasket. One of the techs can chime in with exact labor times, but you can expect at least 10-15 hours of labor to fix this. NOT cheap. :(

m-chan68 03-12-2015 08:06 PM

To do a bedplate reseal, requires the engine to be removed, mounted on a specific engine stand. Once mounted, the front and rear engine covers need to be removed and then the engine flipped upside down to have the engine oil pan and then finally the bedplate itself removed to reseal. With all that in mind, figure in a larger labour hour figure than even outright engine replacement itself, plus all the needed gaskets and you get a pretty good idea of what it will cost. As for dollar amount, that will depend highly upon what the parts will cost from your local dealership, the hourly labour rate of the dealership, as well as the actual labour hours the servicing tech will quote for the repair and your geographical location. So that's a lot of variables to take into consideration.

davalt75 03-12-2015 09:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I read somewhere online that it was in the neighborhood of $12,000-$15,000. That can't possibly be right.....can it? I know things like this tend to get worse rather than better over time, but as long as it's not hurting anything, I'll keep watching it for a while. Like I said, it's only a few drops right now. I'm not 100% sure it's the bed plate, but from what I've read, sounds like there's a good chance. It's almost time to change the oil. When I get under there to drain it, I'll clean it up real good and see if I can better pinpoint where it's coming from or tell if it's gotten any worse.

fatboytx 03-12-2015 10:20 PM

My front cover leaks a bit and it runs back along the top lip of the oil pan. At first glance one might think bed plate but that isn't the case for me. Oil is cheap and it has never leaked enough to drip on my driveway.

Tom 03-13-2015 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by davalt75 (Post 15172195)
Thanks for the info. I read somewhere online that it was in the neighborhood of $12,000-$15,000. That can't possibly be right.....can it?

No it's not. You can get a new engine put in for about that at most dealerships. THIS GUY was quoted $3,500 to fix a leaking bedplate and an axle seal.

I'd expect to pay around $3K or less depending on your local economy.