Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Hot start problem: 6.0L (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1098614-hot-start-problem-6-0l.html)

shane90dsm 09-11-2011 02:11 PM

Hot start problem: 6.0L

I have a 2006 turbo D 6.0L and this week I started to get a hot start problem. The truck starts ok when cold, go the store, turn off; go to start and it just cranks. Came up with a p2290 fault code. Injector control pressure too low.
From what i looked up was, it can be a number of things. High Pressure oil pump etc. Could this be a fuel pump issue? I replaced the glow plug control box, and im going to replace the FICM next. Im also going to change the fuel filters in hope that its an easy fix. :-banghead
any other ideas?

BLADE35 09-11-2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by shane90dsm (Post 10798034)
I have a 2006 turbo D 6.0L and this week I started to get a hot start problem. The truck starts ok when cold, go the store, turn off; go to start and it just cranks. Came up with a p2290 fault code. Injector control pressure too low.
From what i looked up was, it can be a number of things. High Pressure oil pump etc. Could this be a fuel pump issue? I replaced the glow plug control box, and im going to replace the FICM next. Im also going to change the fuel filters in hope that its an easy fix. :-banghead
any other ideas?

Id hold off on a new FICM maybe just check th volts on it

P2290 is your Hgh Pres Oil system start there

Your drivability issues are from a Bad STC fitting,standpipes,and dummey plugs
Your HPOP is Fine
change above mentioned and problem will be solved when you change those parts on your HPO system

this is very common on an 05+

shane90dsm 09-11-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLADE35 (Post 10798044)
Id hold off on a new FICM maybe just check th volts on it

P2290 is your Hgh Pres Oil system start there

Your drivability issues are from a Bad STC fitting,standpipes,and dummey plugs
Your HPOP is Fine
change above mentioned and problem will be solved when you change those parts on your HPO system

this is very common on an 05+

Thanks man. I was worried about that. This is an ambulance aplication and i have a spare ambulance that is over miles. (no longer able to funcion as an ambulance) so i took the FICM off of it. But i guess i don't even have to worry about that now. :-arrgh

texans 09-11-2011 03:14 PM

What benny said. Your problem is going to be in the hpo system. Most likely the stc fitting.

69cj 09-11-2011 05:03 PM

Quite possibly not the stc. Those problems were mainly in the 05 models. Check 1st by unplugging your icp connector. That sounds more like your problem on an 06. Then you can look further. Simple things first.

Coronado 09-11-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 69cj (Post 10798479)
Quite possibly not the stc. Those problems were mainly in the 05 models. Check 1st by unplugging your icp connector. That sounds more like your problem on an 06. Then you can look further. Simple things first.

He speaks the truth, true diagnosis is the key to any problem on modern vehicles/equipment. Besides, you learn nothing when you just throw parts at something.

texans 09-11-2011 09:21 PM

I agree with both post above. I would never suggest throwing parts at anything. You will need some sort of a scanner that can read pids to help diagnose this. Scan gauge II from autozone is a good choise for this on a budget. Or go with autoenginuity with ford enhacements a little more pricy, but great tool to have.

I would not suspect the icp with a hot no-start situation, but you never know. Typically this situation is due to a leak in the hpo system somewhere. Either way you will need a way to verify hpop at time of no start. As 69cj said try unplugging the icp sensor next time it happens and try to start.

Coronado 09-11-2011 09:29 PM

If you happen to be located someone near north Texas then I would be more than willing to meet you and help diagnose your problems!

BLADE35 09-11-2011 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Coronado (Post 10799383)
He speaks the truth, true diagnosis is the key to any problem on modern vehicles/equipment. Besides, you learn nothing when you just throw parts at something.

Gauges would be a great start as Scotty said
I use SGII although AE would be awesome

I really hope its as easy as a New ICP Sensor
just thought there would be diffrent symtoms and diffrent code

The only parts I recomended went along with his P2290

shane90dsm 09-12-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BLADE35 (Post 10799667)
Gauges would be a great start as Scotty said
I use SGII although AE would be awesome

I really hope its as easy as a New ICP Sensor
just thought there would be diffrent symtoms and diffrent code

The only parts I recomended went along with his P2290

Thank you guys for all the posts. I might have to just take it to the dealer. :-arrgh When the truck runs it seams to run ok, no loss in power ect. but turn it off.... anyways. I think there may be a new leak somewhere. Im going to look up how hard it is to replace the STC fitting. one thing to keep in mind is although it is an 06 it might be an 05 engine. It takes time to build the box on the back. And not sure about year splits ect. but again thanks guys.

egregg57 09-12-2011 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by shane90dsm (Post 10800904)
Thank you guys for all the posts. I might have to just take it to the dealer. :-arrgh When the truck runs it seams to run ok, no loss in power ect. but turn it off.... anyways. I think there may be a new leak somewhere. Im going to look up how hard it is to replace the STC fitting. one thing to keep in mind is although it is an 06 it might be an 05 engine. It takes time to build the box on the back. And not sure about year splits ect. but again thanks guys.

You're describing what was happening to my truck. It's an 05 though. Had to have the fitting replaced on the HPOP. All set now.

David Jansen 08-26-2017 03:04 AM

2004 6.0 hot start issue

2004 6.0 powerstroke it has 244.000 miles has been deleted but not bulletproofed seems to have a hot start issue starts right up and runs great when its cold after it warms up and you shut it off come back 10 mins later it will crank over but wont fire when i tried to pull my car trailer i got about 15 miles and started to cut out and eventually shut off once it cools down it will fire back up and do the same any answers would help thanks

bismic 08-26-2017 05:23 AM

We need to know if it is an early or late 04.

Can you tell us where your ICP sensor is located? It is on the passenger valve cover if it is a late 04.

You need to have it scanned for codes, and you need to get yourself a scan tool that reads engine parameters (PIDs). You can get a phone app for it (with a bluetooth adapter) pretty cheap.

In the mean time, a search on air testing of the high pressure oil system would be a start.