Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Temporary fix for exhaust manifold leak. Worth it? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1096789-temporary-fix-for-exhaust-manifold-leak-worth-it.html)

aerodj1 09-04-2011 02:31 PM

Temporary fix for exhaust manifold leak. Worth it?

Part of my exhaust manifold gasket blew out at the #8 cylinder on my 89 351W. How it happened is a whole other story in and of itself, but now I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I bought the truck a month ago knowing that I was going to have to replace the exhaust system, so I started saving money, expecting to drop it off at the shop around the middle of October. Now I have a leak that is bad enough that I can feel it by hand near the port. Performance is not affected, but it sounds like hell driving thru my neighborhood. I have three options, and am looking for opinions. Keep in mind, all of the emissions stuff has been removed, and it's my mudding / run to Lowe's truck. By no means a daily driver.

1. Use the Permatex High-Temp patch kit. Claims to work. Should carry me over until I can afford to bring it in.

2. Leave it as is and keep an eye on it. Runs fine, and I'm not sure I want to goop glorified JB Weld on, as I can only imagine the added labor for clean up when the time comes.

3. Park it and wait. This is a last resort, as I have several missions planned over the next 6 weeks.

What say you? Thanks for any input you can provide.

Ryan

400 .040over 09-04-2011 02:44 PM

replace the gasket

86F150302 09-04-2011 02:47 PM

Put a new gasket on. Took me like 2 hours to replace both mine.

Jaime74656 09-04-2011 02:50 PM

i would put a new gasket on and if your going to redo exaust (well if i was) I would do that at the same time honestly...make less work for my self when ever possible!

aerodj1 09-04-2011 06:36 PM

I'm an aircraft electrician who knows just enough to get into trouble when it comes to cars. How can a guy pull the manifold without busting bolts? I don't have a torch...

ChristopherN 09-04-2011 07:09 PM

Very carefully with PB blaster, or just prepare yourself and get a couple of easyout's.

L. Ward 09-04-2011 07:10 PM

soak the h e double hockey sticks outa them with PB Blaster. Do this over a couple days and they should come right out.

Jaime74656 09-04-2011 08:11 PM

PB blaster and plunty of it as L. Ward said...just drench it and carefully proceed ;) so what if you use three cans on them? its worth it if they come loose ;) even WD40 would probably help too...

actuall mileage may vary depending on rust and other factors...

aerodj1 09-04-2011 08:42 PM

Thanks guys! Looks like I'm going to the parts store tomorrow.

Eddiec1564 09-04-2011 08:48 PM

When you do soak them bolts down and start the engine up, just don't mind the smoke from the PB blaster as the manifold heats up! Do a few heat cycles and when its cooled off respray them and those bolts should come right off. Also use a good 6 point socket so it gets the best bite on the bolt heads with out rounding them rusty things off.