Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   venting (mustang) tank in 54 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/109607-venting-mustang-tank-in-54-f100.html)

Jim VA. 04-04-2003 05:27 AM

venting (mustang) tank in 54 F100

Almost done with mustang tank install in my 54 F100. but need information on vent location. do to the minimum clearance between the tank top,fill neck and underside of bed I don't think a vented cap will work without spilling gas on the bed wood.have thought of brazing a tube to fill neck and exiting out fender well behind rear tire. has anyone else had this thought ? thanks in advance

blitzkraig56 04-04-2003 07:28 PM

I drilled a small hole just under the flange that pokes through the bedwood. Worked just fine, it's so small and so far up the filler tube that gas never spills.

DS02F250 04-05-2003 06:46 AM

Jim,
I ran a separate vent tube for fuel cell ventillation. I can send you some pix. If interested, send me an E-mail and I'll attach pix and send to you directly.
Regards,
Daryl

kustom56f100 04-08-2003 09:54 PM

Hello.This is my first post here.I have been enjoying reading this forum for a few weeks now and it has really helped me to get re-interested in my project.I have a '56 F-100 I am building as an early '60's Kustom.I just read this post about using a Mustang gas tank.Do tell me more.Which year tank is it?Does it interfere at all with the rearend?This sounds like an excellent alternative to a $400.00 aluminum tank.I would love to hear any details about this installation.
Thanks,
Charlie

Jim VA. 04-09-2003 06:12 AM

Charlie; The tank is a 65-67 sixteen gallon.from a place in Rising Sun MD. The install is sweet! and not ixpensive! Go to john's web site at jniolon@bham.rr.com it will help and john is informative. we just have not figured out the vent yet. Jim VA.

Jim VA. 04-09-2003 06:18 AM

Dayrl Yes I would like to see photos of your install please e-mail Thanks Jim VA.

DS02F250 04-09-2003 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Jim VA.
Almost done with mustang tank install in my 54 F100. but need information on vent location. do to the minimum clearance between the tank top,fill neck and underside of bed I don't think a vented cap will work without spilling gas on the bed wood.have thought of brazing a tube to fill neck and exiting out fender well behind rear tire. has anyone else had this thought ? thanks in advance
Jim,
Upon further review, it seems that my vent tube has been snapped off. I haven't looked at it (had no reason to) since my truck came back from body/paint. But, when I crawled under the back end to take a picture for you, I noticed it has been snapped off. Guess I'll have to have a little chat with my body shop guy. So, please disregard the E-mail I sent you as I wont be able to send you much of a picture.

To verbally describe what it was: There is a ninety degree anodized fitting on top of the fuel cell. We ran a aluminum tube (like you'd use for fuel lines) over to the rear wheel well. We bent the tube upward so it ran along the wheel well cavity. We put a couple of switch-backs in the tube to prevent spillage.

That's about it...
Daryl

Jim VA. 04-10-2003 06:41 AM

Daryl;Being a stock mustang tank I do not have a fitting on top of tank , I was thinking of brazing a tube or fitting for a 1/4" vent either thru top of tank at the highest point or thru the filler neck below the hose connection then have the tube exit out the fender well as you described. If you have any photo it would be a great help..Thanks Jim VA.

DS02F250 04-10-2003 07:40 AM

OK, Jim... I'll send what I've got, but there's not much of it left. Just a tube about 12" long that is pinched off as it heads toward the wheel well. Sorry for the let-down...

BTW, does your Mustang tank have foam inside it or is it just a plain-ol empty tank? Reason I ask: mine has a foam insert that prohibits the fuel from sloshing around so much, so a top-mounted vent is a viable solution. I am unsure if yours (assuming it does NOT have the foam insert inside the tank) would spill out when it's full ? Just a thought, so maybe the vent tube along the filler neck is a better way to go for you?

Some options to ponder; in the meantime, would you please re-send your E-mail address? In my frustration, I inadvertently deleted it. Thanks....

Daryl :-wink

DS02F250 04-10-2003 09:02 AM

here's 3 pix:
1. me pointing to where the vent line is snapped off. It is snapped off on its run from the top of the tank, along the side of the tank, heading towards the wheel well;

2. the top of the tank: 90 degree angle-fitting with tubing; and
3. a POOR rendering of how the vent tubing WAS when it was inside the right rear wheel well. NOTE: the end of the tube is facing downward.

Daryl
[IMG]A:[/IMG]

Jag Red 54 04-10-2003 12:18 PM

Hey Daryl, where are the three pix? Am I missing something here? John

Jim VA. 04-10-2003 12:46 PM

Dayrl; As I stated the tank I have is a stock replacement.(no foam) I therefore must exit as high as possible to avoid spillage.I couldn't get your photos if you could send again it would be great.Thanks Jim VA.

jniolon 04-10-2003 01:57 PM

if any one wants to send me copies of pics I'd love to see them... and add them to the article if they would help someone...

john

DS02F250 04-11-2003 08:22 AM

Originally posted by johntownsel
Hey Daryl, where are the three pix? Am I missing something here? John
Hi John!
I guess they didn't attach afterall. I sent them via E-mail. If you're interested, send me an E @ ddspdc(No Email Addresses In Posts!) and I'll shoot 'em to ya!

Daryl

DS02F250 04-11-2003 08:34 AM

All,
I have a few pix of my vent tube off my fuel cell. If anyone would like to see them, tell me how I post them on a reply to a thread here, and I'll give it a shot. (admittedly, I'm a flat-liner when it comes to this; but I'm great at attaching to regular E-mails... do I get honorable mention points for this?)

Basically, all I did was run an aluminum tube from the 90 degree fitting on top of the tank. I made sure the vent tube stayed higher than the tank itself (to prevent fuel spillage). My aluminum tubing somehow got snapped off after about 12", so yesterday I went to Napa and got some 3/8" fule line hose and a C-clamp. I guess that's what it's called, but it looks more like a "P" to me when you squeeze the two ends together! I drilled a hole in a support brace for the nut and bolt that holds the C-clamp in place. I ran the rubber hose off the aluminum tube and then held the hose in place tucked neatly behind the support brace. My thinking is: (1) hiding the end of the vent hose BEHIND the support brace will prohibit dirt, etc from getting into the vent line; and (2) I maintained an angle on the vent line that is HIGHER than the fuel cell so fuel doesn't spill out.

I guess I'll see how well it works at the next fill-up...

Daryl :-tap