Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   DIY Auto Transmission Remove and Replace in driveway??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1095345-diy-auto-transmission-remove-and-replace-in-driveway.html)

Lex2002 08-29-2011 04:11 PM

DIY Auto Transmission Remove and Replace in driveway???

Hello Folks,

I have a 2002 F350 7.3L diesel. 195k miles. 4x4 Off Road package. Tranny is deadskies.

Has anyone tried to remove & replace their automatic tranny in their driveway, shadetree-mechanic-style?

I have a scissor lift but it would only get in the way if I used it and I dont even know if it would lift the truck....

Has anyone done this themselves using ramps? Jack stands? Mine is a 4x4 Offroad package so its relatively high up off the ground to begin with.

Think Im gonna go with a straight Ford replacement. Unlimited mile warranty for 3 years...$2200 AND they will repair or replace if it is defective even if I do the install unlike other tranny remanufacturers (Moveras, Drive Power etc).

Will replace cooler and flush or replace lines as well.

Thanks,

a

Mark Kovalsky 08-29-2011 05:41 PM

The worst part is that the transmission weighs 270 pounds. You'll probably want to take the transfer case off first, it adds about 150 pounds to that.

Tylus 08-29-2011 05:45 PM

I've done it on several trucks before. Last time was in my 1994 F-150 (stock height).

Get a good jack and jackstands and/or ramps. Get the tires about another foot of the ground so you have more room to play with.

I personally put the front tires on ramps (I built using wood. vary lengths of 2x8 (think steps)) and the rear axle was on jackstands.

I would suggest having a buddy help you. And a nice rolling floor jack. Unbolt the trans and let the floorjack take the weight. I'm a pretty big boy (6'3" at 250 lbs), so I just manhandled the last one. It was ticking me off and I got tired of playing with the jack.

it can be done. It wouldn't hurt to ask what a local shop would charge just for the labor of unbolting and re-bolting new one. It might be worth paying them $200-300. A trans swap is a pretty cake swap in any decently equipped shop

Tylus 08-29-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 10752562)
transmission weighs 270 pounds.

wow! yeah, have a buddy help

redford 08-29-2011 05:47 PM

It is not hard, just a heavy mofo. Beg, borrow or steal a transmission jack.

hotroddsl 08-29-2011 05:52 PM

I have done a couple on my back, not the best way but doable as Mark said xfercase off, and before you put the rebuilt unit in read up on the pros & cons of the ford rebuilt I'm not a fan! Look into John woods & brains truck shop, even ATS, IMHO
Jim...& fat Monty}>

Lex2002 08-29-2011 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 10752569)
I've done it on several trucks before. Last time was in my 1994 F-150 (stock height).

Get a good jack and jackstands and/or ramps. Get the tires about another foot of the ground so you have more room to play with.

I personally put the front tires on ramps (I built using wood. vary lengths of 2x8 (think steps)) and the rear axle was on jackstands.

I would suggest having a buddy help you. And a nice rolling floor jack. Unbolt the trans and let the floorjack take the weight. I'm a pretty big boy (6'3" at 250 lbs), so I just manhandled the last one. It was ticking me off and I got tired of playing with the jack.

it can be done. It wouldn't hurt to ask what a local shop would charge just for the labor of unbolting and re-bolting new one. It might be worth paying them $200-300. A trans swap is a pretty cake swap in any decently equipped shop

So you were able to clear the bellhousing under the frame? I am feeling empowered!

I have an exhaust leak as well which is easily dealt with once the tranny is off, so I have more incentive to do it myself so I can deal with the exhaust issue as well. Save some more $$$.

So ramps up front and jack up the rear and place on heavy duty jack stands? mmmm sounds like I can do this.

hotroddsl 08-29-2011 05:55 PM

It's one of the easiest trannys to do on the floor said from the weight but it comes out like it covered in crisco!

BigAlsPSD 08-29-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lex2002 (Post 10752594)
So you were able to clear the bellhousing under the frame? I am feeling empowered!

I have an exhaust leak as well which is easily dealt with once the tranny is off, so I have more incentive to do it myself so I can deal with the exhaust issue as well. Save some more $$$.

So ramps up front and jack up the rear and place on heavy duty jack stands? mmmm sounds like I can do this.

It would be a great time to tackle the up pipes if that's the leaks your are referring to?

Here is a pretty much permanent fix to not have to replace the donuts any more, Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit

Lex2002 08-29-2011 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by hotroddsl (Post 10752593)
I have done a couple on my back, not the best way but doable as Mark said xfercase off, and before you put the rebuilt unit in read up on the pros & cons of the ford rebuilt I'm not a fan! Look into John woods & brains truck shop, even ATS, IMHO
Jim...& fat Monty}>

John Wood is in Cali. Im in MD. What kinda of warranty service are they gonna offer? I wrote to Brian's....they never wrote back. But they arent close either. Need a nationwide warranty...maybe JASPER? $2700 for tranny from Jasper. Installation is another $800.

So I drop the transfer case first then tranny?

Thanks guys,

Lex

Lex2002 08-29-2011 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by hotroddsl (Post 10752601)
It's one of the easiest trannys to do on the floor said from the weight but it comes out like it covered in crisco!

That's what the diesel mechanic at Ford said to me...He said its like 8 bolts and the driveshaft and it falls out the truck. haha.

Thanks,

A

Lex2002 08-29-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by BigAlsPSD (Post 10752605)
It would be a great time to tackle the up pipes if that's the leaks your are referring to?

Here is a pretty much permanent fix to not have to replace the donuts any more, Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit

WOW thanks!

Yes the mechanic told me its leaking at one of the exhaust pipes located behind the turbo...and that it would be a peice of cake to R&R with the tranny out. If the tranny isnt out the turbo needs to come out to reach the leaking flange.

I assumed I could just change the leaking gasket, assuming the flange hasnt rusted.

I guess your implying that I the pipe wont be reusable?

Lex

hotroddsl 08-29-2011 06:16 PM

John Woods or BTS will take unlimited power (with a 7.3) ^so you won't be changing it again the ford rebuilt will be marginal parts from already failed trannys put together with new clutches and seals you will use the warranty over and over, I did! As did several of my friends, my John Woods gets hammered daily with 420hp for the last 2 years no slippage no missed shifts no burnt fluid, just rock solid operation! I had it shipped to me! ^so that's not an excuse!
Jim...&fat Monty}>

Lex2002 08-29-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by hotroddsl (Post 10752659)
John Woods or BTS will take unlimited power (with a 7.3) ^so you won't be changing it again the ford rebuilt will be marginal parts from already failed trannys put together with new clutches and seals you will use the warranty over and over, I did! As did several of my friends, my John Woods gets hammered daily with 420hp for the last 2 years no slippage no missed shifts no burnt fluid, just rock solid operation! I had it shipped to me! ^so that's not an excuse!
Jim...&fat Monty}>

Ya but IF his tranny fails, is he gonna pay for someone to fix it in Maryland? Or is he gonna make me take it off and ship all 300 pounds back to him so he can evaluate? .....ouch.

You sure have nice cleavage Mr.,

A

Tylus 08-29-2011 06:32 PM

are you replacing the torque converter as well?

Originally Posted by Lex2002 (Post 10752624)
So I drop the transfer case first then tranny?

yes

-unbolt driveshaft (x2 if 4x4)
-drop the t-case
-support the trans with a jack, and then unbolt and remove the trans crossmember
-remove the bellhousing bolts and all the linkages and electrical connections
-slide the trans backwards 2-3" to clear the input shaft, then slowly lower using the jack

FYI, when you put her all back together, make sure the Torque Converter is fully seated. The newer ones are tricky to get seated properly at times.