Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   1994 F 250 7.5l 460 specs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1093115-1994-f-250-7-5l-460-specs.html)

nconsalo 08-20-2011 11:49 PM

1994 F 250 7.5l 460 specs

im just trying to get a round about number of horse power and torque its mostly stock, it has long tube headers with true dual exhaust & he also got a throttle body spacer. And in the future he was gonna get this hypertech chip( click link below), what do you think it will add in power?....

Hypertech 640231 - Hypertech Ford Power Modules - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Slip ford man 08-21-2011 02:45 AM

Try over here, more of a performance forum than here, which seems to be a troubleshoot oriented
General Tech - 460 Ford Forum

rla2005 08-21-2011 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by nconsalo (Post 10719798)
im just trying to get a round about number of horse power and torque its mostly stock, it has long tube headers with true dual exhaust & he also got a throttle body spacer. And in the future he was gonna get this hypertech chip( click link below), what do you think it will add in power?....

Hypertech 640231 - Hypertech Ford Power Modules - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Save your money, do not waste your $$ on that or any off-the-shelf chip on this vintage truck. You already have headers, bump the timing a few degrees. That is all those chips do, you can do it yourself and save the money for something else. The same can be said for that throttle body spacer....

nconsalo 08-21-2011 05:33 PM

bump timing a few degrees?

What do you mean bump the timing a few degrees? plz explain

DIYiT 08-21-2011 06:27 PM

Get a timing light, pull the SPOUT plug (computer control of the distributor advance), loosen the distributor, turn for more baseline advance, tighten distributor, reconnect SPOUT.

From the factory, these trucks are set to 10* of base timing. Most trucks can easily pull 12* of timing with no modifications on 87 octane fuel. If you've made modifications to the engine, intake, or exhaust or run higher octane fuel you might be able to get away with even more advance. If you do a search for the 6 liter tuneup, there are some that have been able to pull off as high as 16* of base timing on an otherwise stock motor.

nconsalo 08-25-2011 04:31 PM

okay thanks. so when i do this what will be different performance wise?

DIYiT 08-25-2011 05:38 PM

Depending on where your timing is set right now, it may just be a little more power, or a substantial amount. I don't know why it happens, but I seem to read a lot of posts where people say that they checked their timing and it was only 6-8° of advance timing when stock is 10°. Considering you can sometimes push it to 14° or more, those people see a huge gain in power (relatively speaking). I didn't notice any huge change, but that's because my timing was already set around 11° when I got the truck from my dad and I only advanced it by 1°. This weekend I'm looking to try pushing the timing a bit further again. It won't be a huge change, but every bit helps.

Generally speaking, as you increase timing, it's going to move the peak torque and horsepower up in the RPM range. If you stay with 87 or 89 octane fuels, you won't be able to advance the timing far enough to really feel any difference in where the power band is situated, but you should notice a bit more power overall. Also, as timing is increased, it will help improve the efficiency of the motor slightly, so you may see a slight increase in fuel economy (but don't bet on it with the 460).