Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   '51 F4 project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1091253-51-f4-project.html)

ibuzzard 08-22-2011 09:39 PM

Big Bump For You.

Mervy49 08-22-2011 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 10712985)
No, the filter was a Fram, so I cleaned it (since I didn't have one) and reinstalled it. Actually, I don't even know what you're talking about... the toilet paper filter.

Back in the old days we used to unwrap a roll of toilet paper and rewrap it in the filter holder to make our own filters. My uncle showed me how to do this back in the day. I never thought of it again until I saw Ibuzzards post above.

Jolly Roger Joe 08-22-2011 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by ibuzzard (Post 10726570)
Big Bump For You.

Yeah, thanks. I see how that works now, I think. So, anyone who's following threads you post in will see mine when you post here. :-jammin

Jolly Roger Joe 08-22-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mervy49 (Post 10726685)
Back in the old days we used to unwrap a roll of toilet paper and rewrap it in the filter holder to make our own filters. My uncle showed me how to do this back in the day. I never thought of it again until I saw Ibuzzards post above.

Makes sense. I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper than buying a filter element. But mainly, it would be there when you need it so no extra trip would be needed.

Jolly Roger Joe 08-22-2011 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by jbrittonjr (Post 10715222)
If it's the canister I'm thinking of you'll need to disassemble the oil filter canister & replace the rubber gaskets. NAPA stores carry the filter element. Enjoy your truck, once you've got it sorted out they can be a lot of fun.

I haven't been back out to look at it yet (gone all weekend) but do you mean there are rubber gaskets besides the ones on the top and bottom of the Fram canister? I did see a gasket on the top lip which the lid bolts down onto. But I think you mean there's one on the bottom which is leaking. I don't see how removing the canister would cause that one to leak, but something is sure leaking.

I really need to get the shop manual so I don't have to keep asking these questions. Maybe next payday...

Here's what it looks like:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...071568&thumb=1

ibuzzard 08-23-2011 10:04 PM

Let me bump this back to the top for you.

Jolly Roger Joe 08-23-2011 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by ibuzzard (Post 10731038)
Let me bump this back to the top for you.

Thanks. I checked the dipstick tonight to see how much oil was left. It's at the same level as when I got the truck. When I changed the oil, I filled it to the correct level. After I ran it for a few minutes, it drained out the filter canister to the previous level.

Is it possible that when the oil level is dangerously low on the dipstick that oil is not pushed up into the filter? That would explain why the filter canister did not leak until I filled the crankcase to the right level with clean oil. Just a guess on my part.

ALBUQ F-1 08-23-2011 11:35 PM

Some oil filter canisters have a drain on the bottom of the canister; if there, it could be loose. I believe it's a pipe thread plug. The "normal" drain out of the canister is a pipe off the bottom that has a compression / flare fitting, that could also be loose. Also where that line connects to the block it could be cracked or loose.

The oil filter will hold some oil, that will slowly drain out when the engine is off. How many quarts did you put in when you changed it?

Is your dipstick attached to the side of the pan? If so, there is a gasket that can leak and cause loss of oil. On the V8's, the dipstick tube screws into the fitting on the pan, and if loose it can leak there too.

Jolly Roger Joe 08-23-2011 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 10731306)
Some oil filter canisters have a drain on the bottom of the canister; if there, it could be loose. I believe it's a pipe thread plug. The "normal" drain out of the canister is a pipe off the bottom that has a compression / flare fitting, that could also be loose. Also where that line connects to the block it could be cracked or loose.

The oil filter will hold some oil, that will slowly drain out when the engine is off. How many quarts did you put in when you changed it?

Is your dipstick attached to the side of the pan? If so, there is a gasket that can leak and cause loss of oil. On the V8's, the dipstick tube screws into the fitting on the pan, and if loose it can leak there too.

Thanks, I'll check those fittings and the drain. I didn't realize they were there until tonight, when I Googled "226 flathead oil filter" and saw some pictures of canisters for sale.

I put slightly over 4 quarts in when I changed it. That brought the level to about the middle of the safe area on the dipstick.

The dipstick is between the filler pipe and the filter. It does not appear to be the source of the leak, as it's dry around the base. The oil definitely looks to be coming from somewhere around the bottom of the filter.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...071568&thumb=1

Jolly Roger Joe 08-24-2011 11:29 PM

I crawled under tonight to check out the bottom of the oil canister... no lines, no plugs, nothing to indicate where the oil's coming out. I don't see any cracks, and the three bolts holding it to the engine look solid, so no leak there.

But it "looks" like this one I found on vanpeltsales.com.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ictureid=78493
So, as was suggested earlier by jbrittonjr, I'll probably need to disassemble the whole thing to replace the rubber gaskets.

Would seals like that still be available at an auto parts store? Could I get that lucky?

ibuzzard 08-25-2011 07:32 AM

"Jolly", I'll wager the selfsame internet that you, a admitted newb, used to make yourself so quickly versant on flatheads in such a short time,will also tell you which vendors have the parts you need.Someone in the San Diego area will likely be on here to inform you of any local sources.Try C & G Early Ford Parts,in Escondido,for starters.

As a last resort,shoot me a Private Mail with your address, I'll try to see if my buddy will let go of a catalog.I'm coming down to SoCal over Labor Day weekend,I'll deliver it personally.I'd love to see your truck in person,might even drag a buddy and fellow-FTE'r along.Hope you're not too bothered by the occasional advertising SPAM in the Private Mail,though.

ALBUQ F-1 08-25-2011 08:16 AM

I'm not that familiar with the flat-6's, but it looks like they eliminated the piping used on the bottom of the flat-8's with a direct bolt-on fitting on the side of the crankcase. It could be that gasket that's leaking.

I would be pretty certain that your engine uses 5 quarts for a fill. It's never been clear whether you are supposed to add a quart for the filter.

I had a leak the first time I changed my filter, because there was an additional gasket/O-ring stuck in the groove of the lid.

51PanelMan 08-25-2011 09:41 AM

JRJ wouldn't have this problem if the motor was a 351 in the truck. Also, a flip front end would make it a lot easier to work on the truck.

Jolly Roger Joe 08-25-2011 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan (Post 10736064)
JRJ wouldn't have this problem if the motor was a 351 in the truck. Also, a flip front end would make it a lot easier to work on the truck.

Great idea! Do any of those things cost money? Oh, then I guess they're not gonna happen for a while anyway. Just need to fix what I have. ;)

51PanelMan 08-26-2011 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe (Post 10738271)
Great idea! Do any of those things cost money? Oh, then I guess they're not gonna happen for a while anyway. Just need to fix what I have. ;)

I was only joking. What you have is absolutely fine and actually preferred.;)