Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Starter, solenoid, or ground issue? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1090011-starter-solenoid-or-ground-issue.html)

dbuck50 08-08-2011 08:36 PM

Starter, solenoid, or ground issue?

my truck sometimes starts fine. The often when it hasn't been started for the day, it doesn't. I turn the key, can hear the fuel pump pressurize and hear a loud click...like a solenoid. I turn the key back and forth several times, it keeps doing it and eventually it will turnover and run fine.

I had the same problem a couple years ago and replaced the starter and it seemed to go away for a while, but slowly started back again. Could it be the starter again? I have a feeling it might be something else, like a grounding issue or I think there are two solenoids? any ideas?

hoss khaos 08-08-2011 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by dbuck50 (Post 10674402)
my truck sometimes starts fine. The often when it hasn't been started for the day, it doesn't. I turn the key, can hear the fuel pump pressurize and hear a loud click...like a solenoid. I turn the key back and forth several times, it keeps doing it and eventually it will turnover and run fine.

I had the same problem a couple years ago and replaced the starter and it seemed to go away for a while, but slowly started back again. Could it be the starter again? I have a feeling it might be something else, like a grounding issue or I think there are two solenoids? any ideas?

I would check the wire that runs from the solenoid to the starter. If it has corrosion on it, it'll do that. My truck does that too sometimes. If the starter operates how it always did (meaning normal speed and sound) when it actually decides to turn over, I'd think it's ok. If it's sluggish, it might be bad. But check that cable and even the other battery cables for a loose or dirty connection. Sometimes a solenoid can do that too

ArdWrknTrk 08-09-2011 04:43 AM

Check the neutral safety switch or clutch interlock.
You may just be hearing the fuel pump relay.

tjc transport 08-09-2011 06:30 PM

check if there is a small wire going to the solenoid on the starter. the connection there is a known problem, and will cause the very issues you are describing.
but a bad starter, bad fender mount starter relay, and bad cable connections will also.

dbuck50 09-01-2011 09:43 PM

is there a way to fix the wire/connection? it is a bit corroded...how to I make it a good connection again? it looks like it is permanently attached.

skaterbro 09-03-2011 01:45 AM

Best thing to do would be to get a starter with the post style connection for the relay wire. That spade style connection is the problem as it's much more susceptible to corrosion.

You can try cleaning the connection but i'm sure that day will soon come again when you're sitting there turning the key back and forth waiting for it to catch. :D

muscletruck7379 09-03-2011 02:02 AM

sounds like its most likely a connection issue. you don't have those 99 cent battery cable connectors do you?

ArdWrknTrk 09-03-2011 04:35 AM

Clean up the spade connection really good and pack it full of dielectric silicone before plugging it back in.
It will help keep the water out.

dbuck50 10-16-2011 08:53 PM

OK, the issue continues. I cleaned up the spade connection...even replaced the spade connector and it is still doing the same thing. Checked the voltages with a meter and I have 12 Volts at the starter, but with the key turned to the starter position (where it would normally turn over) I have nothing at the spade connection...I would think it should be 12 volts when the key is turned all the way to start. The fendrer mounted relay is clicking when the key is turned.

Does anyone know where the signal to the spade comes from? is it the relay? or maybe the ignition switch? I think whatever it is might be the problem.

again, if I turn it back and forth enough time, it will eventually engage the starter and startup.

hoss khaos 10-16-2011 08:59 PM

Either the starter solenoid or the cable from the solenoid to the starter.

White 97 xlt 10-16-2011 09:11 PM

I just replaced the solenoid on the inner fender of my 93 T-bird Friday, it was acting exactly the way you describe..

It would clunk every time you turned the key to the start position, but nothing happened. Checked voltage out of the solenoid to the starter, with the key in start position, you guessed it NUTTIN' :D Changed it out and it hasn't missed a lick since..

Hardest part of the job was finding a solenoid NOT made in China!!!!!!!

ArdWrknTrk 10-17-2011 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by White 97 xlt (Post 10928827)
Hardest part of the job was finding a solenoid NOT made in China!

And how did you do that?

dbuck50 10-17-2011 08:27 AM

Thanks!...I just looked online for a new fender mounted solenoid...looks like the china ones have real bad reviews. I ordered a motorcraft one...so hopefully it will be of good quality.

thanks everyone. I'll post the results once installed for the benefit of others.

dbuck50 10-24-2011 07:30 PM

sure enough...the starter solenoid on the fenderwall was the culprit. I bought a motorcraft OEM replacement (from Rockauto) and the problem is now gone...thanks everyone.

blkF250HD 10-24-2011 07:44 PM

Glad to hear it's fixed. One other thing to keep in mind for the future: check the ground cable connection to the engine block. We had in a 95 E150 5.8L and it was kicking the tech's ass. Put a battery in, a starter, a solenoid, still had a constant click at the starter. Another tech looked around and noticed some corrosion around the ground cable terminal, along with the bolt being loose. On this particular vehicle the cable connects to the block on a pad below the air pump.