Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   New X Owner (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1089808-new-x-owner.html)

jasoncw 08-08-2011 08:51 AM

New X Owner

Hi Guys,

I first want to say thanks for all the great info here; I learned a lot while searching for a new-to-me Excursion. I previously had a Dodge Ram 1500, and it was getting a bit cramped with our 3 kids and dog going on camping trips. Plus it was over the GVWR and GCWR by almost 1,000# towing our ~7,500# TT.

After quite a bit of time and looking at several, we finally pulled the trigger on one last weekend. It has more miles on it than I was looking for (just over 100k), but it was cared for extremely well by the previous owner. It is a 1-owner car. The lady took great care of it and NEVER towed anything with it. The engine runs very smooth (V10) as does the trans. There is absolutely no rust on it (she had it undercoated). Also has a set of 1-month-old BFGs on it. The only blemishes are a couple very small dings and surface scratches. To us the condition of the interior is more important than the miles, as we know the engine should last a very long time. And this one is essentially perfect.

I don't have any real good pictures, but here is one I took last night with my cell (seems to be the most common color scheme on the X):

http://jasoncw.globat.com/images/X/X.jpg

The only issue I am having now is trying to find the keyless entry code. I tried the couple tricks looking under the dash but could not locate it. I guess I need to keep looking.

Jason

Trevor.801 08-08-2011 09:53 AM

That is freakin sick!!!

TXtinct 08-08-2011 09:54 AM

Welcome and congrats on your X, I just got mine last week and absolutely love it. Here is a link that should help you with you key code, look towards the middle of the page, beachcomer1962 posted some great info to help you.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ey-code-2.html

Trevor.801 08-08-2011 10:11 AM

What are your plans, if any. Or do you plan on leaving it stock?

jasoncw 08-08-2011 10:26 AM

Thanks for the comments and link.

Trevor, for now the plan is to stay stock. It is mostly my wife's vehicle during the week (my commuter car is the Focus in the pic above). I will just be driving it on the weekends. My last truck was lifted with 35" tires though, so we shall see what will be down the road... lol

BigPigDaddy 08-08-2011 01:31 PM

Very nice X!

By any chance did the dealer or owner write the keyless code in the owner's manual?

jasoncw 08-08-2011 01:35 PM

Thanks! And no, they did not. I already checked.

jasoncw 08-09-2011 07:24 AM

Aside from pulling the radio out, I cannot find the module. So I guess I will need to do the trial-and-error list to figure it out. Should be fun...

That post above mentioned "above the right front kick panel." To me this would be the side panel at the front passenger's feet (by the fuel reset switch). Is this correct?

jasoncw 08-10-2011 07:37 PM

Update: FINALLY found the code! Also tightened my gear box up 1/2 turn, which got rid of almost all of the slop. This site is great! :D

jh818 08-10-2011 09:36 PM

Now for the real fun stuff. You may want to consider switching out your 3.73 gears to 4.30 for towing. Add a rear sway bar and RAS. If you haven't got a Prodigy brake controller yet, you may want to consider one.

jasoncw 08-11-2011 08:12 AM

Gears will have to wait for now, but I would really like to get them done. It came with the sway bar (didn't see it at first, since it is in front of the pumpkin, rather than behind it). Already transferred the P3 from the Dodge. Oh, and RAS is already on its way. :) Thanks for the input.

HDBiker67 08-11-2011 09:09 AM

You will absolutely love the power for towing. I replaced my 1500 'Burb and love it.

What about the shocks, are they still stock? I put the heavy duty Bilsteins on. It made another improvement on handling and towing. I also replaced the stock steering stablizer with the Bilstein.

Looks good. Black leather interior...looks hot..and it will be...:-X22

Good luck & enjoy.

jasoncw 08-11-2011 09:37 AM

I haven't towed with it yet, and I believe they are stock shocks, but they feel fine on the road. I will see how it tows next weekend. When I need to replace them, I planned on Bilstein 5100s (the silver ones, not the yellow ones), which I had on my Dodge. I love they way they handled. Is there a thread that talks about shock compatability? Bilstein doesn't list a 5100 shock for the stock height Ex, only the standard OEM yellow shock.

Steering stabilizer looks good for now, but will probably replace with Bilstein once I replace the shocks.

The leater is black and tan, so not as hot as all black. I used to have a black-on-black car with leather seats, so I know how hot they can get. ;)

njneer1 08-11-2011 07:27 PM

Welcome !.........lift it !

AlaskanEx 08-11-2011 08:33 PM

very clean looking truck! nice find!