Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Escape & Escape Hybrid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum36/)
-   -   Turn off ignition and everything powered shuts off. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1088984-turn-off-ignition-and-everything-powered-shuts-off.html)

Dan0923 08-04-2011 10:23 PM

Turn off ignition and everything powered shuts off.

I recently had my ignition lock up in my '01 Escape. No matter what I did, it was stuck in the off position and nothing could get it to turn one degree. I removed the ignition cylinder by drilling out the "pin" on the bottom. After I got it out, I realized that the instrument cluster lcd screen was blank, too. This puzzled me. I tried to jump the car and it didn't help.

Since then I've replaced the ignition cylinder and the ignition switch, but the power to the car keeps going out when I turn the car off and remove the key. It doesn't happen when I'm driving. Only after I take out the key.

My temp. fix is to disconnect the Neg battery terminal and let it sit for 5 minutes or more, then reconnect it and the car has power again.

Any idea's? I searched the forum but wasn't too sure on wording, so I didn't find anything related to my specific problem.

First time ever here. Thanks.

tomw 08-05-2011 07:05 AM

I would check the fuses in the box under the hood near the battery and also check the relays. There is also a "GEM" assembly or SJB, Smart Junction Box, depending on vintage.
The GEM/SJB do the things like lock the doors, leave the accessories powered up for a time after you turn the ignition off, one-touch window down, locks, etc.
Your description doesn't tell me what's really going on. Does it start and run normally? Do you have accessory power & operation after you start it?
tom

Dan0923 08-05-2011 07:33 AM

The escape runs fine. I only have problems when taking out the key. That's when I lose power to everything (about 50% of the time). What could happen, by just taking out the key, to make the power shut off?

tomw 08-05-2011 12:09 PM

The power for most things will shut off when you turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position. Some accessories are kept powered up for a limited period of time by the GEM or SJB using a timer and a relay.
Is this the power, i.e. radio and power windows, that you are missing when you turn the key to OFF and remove it from the lock cylinder? If so, it is a relay operated by the GEM or SJB.
tom

Dan0923 08-05-2011 02:22 PM

As I said in my first post, second line - the instrument cluster lcd screen was blank

ALL power to the Escape is OFF. Not just the normal things like radio and such. Nothing is lit up - the light on the alarm sensor in the upper window, no dash lights, no dome lights - Nothing. Something connected to the ignition is turning off power to the whole vehicle at random times, when I turn the key to OFF and pull it out.

tomw 08-06-2011 07:14 AM

the instrument cluster lcd screen was blank

It is supposed to get blank. It does not display with the power off and the key out of the switch.
If you have one, the red light should flash indicating the PATS is working. No dash lights should be lit, the dome lights only when the door is opened or the handle lifted. If you don't have a PATS flash, and the interior and dome lights don't light when you open the door, then check the link from the battery, actually the main underhood power distribution box to the GEM/SJB. There are feeds that are enabled all the time with the key out or in.
tom

Dan0923 08-06-2011 12:02 PM

Thanks Tom. I'm used to seeing the cluster LCD "on" when I open the door. By on / lit, I mean it shows the mileage and P R D 1 2 .... all that. It happened today, but this time it was slightly different. I got in and all power was on as usual. The LCD was on and the ingition started to chime when I put in the key (with the door still open). As I turned the key, the power went out. I was forced, once again, to remove the Neg battery terminal and let it sit for 7-10 minutes. Of course it started raining at the same time.

I also noticed a small drop in engine power as I was pulling onto the highway, earlier today. I just happened to look at the dash and saw the THEFT light on for a second. Could the factory anti-theft system be causing this?

What is the GEM and PATS? Sorry, new here.

tomw 08-06-2011 12:53 PM

I just went out to the garage, and checked the LCD on my 07. No mileage, no PRNODL indicator lit, nothing. Nada. Bupkis. Zip. The only thing I saw was the red PATS light with its usual ~1 second blink rate.
PATS is Passive Anti Theft System
GEM is Generic Electronic Module
SJB is Smart Junction Box
Someone at FoMoCo had fun making up names .. a $100,000 a year job if I ever saw one.

Quote: As I turned the key, the power went out.
Now that's a horse of a different color. What happens when you turn the key is that the sliding or linear ignition switch mounted further down the steering column from the lock cylinder starts to move the contacts. It will make and break stuff as it moves. If you remove the upper and lower steering column plastic covers, you may be able to see the real ignition switch. It may be damaged from age, or just have loose connections. The older ones that Ford used can start to come apart as the 'crimp' ears start to lose their grip. I have pushed them back together, bent the crimps over again tighter, and gotten a few more years use in that case. The snap in connector may be not so snapped in place, and just moving it tighter into the switch may solve your problem.
That's where I'd look. Also, of course, the connections at the PDB .. Power Distribution Bay, under the hood right aft of the headlight on the drivers side. Loose cables there will affect everything...
tom