Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum64/)
-   -   made in USA brake parts (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1087642-made-in-usa-brake-parts.html)

jmcder53 07-31-2011 10:35 AM

made in USA brake parts

ok i've got a 2000 f150, recently had oil change at ford dealership.
they told me i need new front rotors and pads, total charge for this is $400. rotors are 108 apiece and pads were about 60, so labor would end up being around $100.

does anyone know if the ford brake parts are made in the USA.

i've heard it is easy to do yourself, i just don't have the time. went to napa got decent rotors and pads, all of it was MADE IN CHINA. Returned the parts, had a local tire/service shop quote me 300 to do the job but not sure about the parts they use.

anyone know how to find out what parts a shop uses?

jade79 08-04-2011 09:08 PM

This topic comes up from time to time, and don't get me started on this, because I feel the same as you.
I will be replacing the entire brake system on my latest project (78 F100 shortbed) I've always understood Bendix was the OEM supplier when they were new, so that's what I ordered. Most of my parts have arrived and almost half the order has "made in china" on the Bendix box. I'm thinking about sending that half back.
Some companies are getting wise to the "anti made in china" movement and are now labeling their boxes "assembled" in the USA. (using components made where?)
On the other hand, I've gotten a few "made in the USA" parts that were junk as well, so what's a guy to do? :confused:
What it all boils down to is, are the quality control inspections being done before the parts roll out the door? If the original brake parts on your truck were not made in the US, yet lasted 11 years?????? I try to buy "local" parts as much as possible to help our brothers and our economy, but when it's not available or unaffordable, what's a guy to do?:confused:

fmtrvt 08-07-2011 09:05 AM

Bendix for the last decade has only been on OE supplier for drum brake parts, out of the running for disc brakes for many, many years.

All manufacturers source the brake parts from a variety of rotor, drum, foundation (caliper and drum) and friction sources. I’ll give the example of the ’99-2004 F-350’s: Rotors by Kelsey Hayes (USA), calipers by Akebono (Japan), and brake pads Federal-Mogul (USA). Then lets go to a Ford store and buy some “aftermarket” Motorcraft parts: Rotors by Federal-Mogul (Wagner – Chine), pads by Federal-Mogul (USA – but different then OE), and rebuilt calipers by Federal-Mogul (Wagner USA).

If you are looking for rotors cast and machined in the USA, then you only chance is going OE, and that today is changing. Some OE parts are coming from Japan or China, China if driven by cost. With people using their wallets to buy replacement parts, the rise of stores like Autozone, O’Rileys, and Advance have pushed the aftermarket to a further price competition that requires going to Asia for reduced costs to maintain profit margins.

But as mentioned companies like Ford will require the supplier to meet their own internal specific for fit and finish, therefore the Motorcraft branded Federal-Mogul rotor will be to a tighter spec the then Wagner branded Federal-Mogul rotor. And you will pay for that.

jade79 08-10-2011 07:01 PM

"If you are looking for rotors cast and machined in the USA, then you only chance is going OE" (by fmtrvt)
Wow, I guess that doesn't leave much of a choice for older models.

"But as mentioned companies like Ford will require the supplier to meet their own internal specific for fit and finish, therefore the Motorcraft branded Federal-Mogul rotor will be to a tighter spec the then Wagner branded Federal-Mogul rotor. And you will pay for that." (by fmtrvt)
Which aftermarket brands keep a close eye on what rolls out their door?

There were a few brands that were once known for producing quality parts. It's like rolling dice when you go to buy something now. That's pretty much everything, not just auto parts.