Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   1996 C6 transmission and 1996 351 W. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1087340-1996-c6-transmission-and-1996-351-w.html)

Dylanpan214 07-29-2011 10:12 PM

1996 C6 transmission and 1996 351 W.

HELLLLLPPPPPPP, i got a 1966 ford f100,i recently updated it, should be right there on the forum anyway, i recently got a 1996 C6 transmission and i put it together with a 1996 351 W. But the question is do i need anything to make the original radiator work with the Transmission and how do i get the original speedometer to work with the transmission?
heres some pics
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...4/Unknown1.jpg
1996 C6 transmission
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...-50-26_556.jpg
Here's the Tag
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...-48-08_992.jpg
the gear
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...-02-24_406.jpg
when me and my dad got the transmission hookedup to the 351 and put it in
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...-01-47_913.jpg
Another View
Any help is Reallllllly Appreciated, thanks
Dpan.

jowilker 07-30-2011 06:09 AM

Are you sure the C6 is a 1996? I thought the C6 had been replaced by then.

Radiator swapping shouldn't be a major deal, find a new or used one with the ports at the bottom for the tranny, or you can mount a tank for the tranny on the radiator.

John :-X06

66f-100 07-30-2011 07:07 AM

When I swapped mine for a C6, I noticed that my radiator had plugs where the fittings for the tranny cooler go at the bottom of the radiator. Took the plugs out and installed the appropriate fittings and I was good to go.

Dylanpan214 07-30-2011 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jowilker (Post 10638256)

Radiator swapping shouldn't be a major deal, find a new or used one with the ports at the bottom for the tranny, or you can mount a tank for the tranny on the radiator.

Yeah i guess, the guy who found the transmission and set up everything for me to buy it, hes a friend of my dad's so he called a car shop about 40 mins away, we went there and picked it up, then my dad called the same guy to find any info, he said it was a 96 so i guess it is. I'll Ask again, and thanks on the info for the radiator

Tobys351.9 07-30-2011 12:19 PM

C 6

Hey Dylan, that may be a "Rare Bird" of a transmission there.
You may have to have a dealer figure that out (or the Number Dummy) Speaking of which, where the heck is the ND?
After a little digging on these internets, I found this this electronic controls place that claims that they are still used today on some applications.
Baumann Electronic Controls Home Page
I have worked in factory environments for over 30 years and even today with all of the on time inventory, whatever, where they don't get the parts until the use them... but a company like Ford that has all of the resources that they do, may have a warehouse full of them somewhere, since they probably installed several millions of them in the 20 years from '66-'86. it is entirely possible.
The bottom left number on the tag used to indicate the motor size that it was attached to but the stuff on yours may indicate a F250? ya never know till ya get the right decode but until then don't get too worried because most of the folks on here could be like me, it is the weekend and time for my wifey to give me more extra instructions on how to expeditiously complete some very important tasks that have nothing to do with any sort of vehicle or parts thereof.
You will make it work.
Peace

Dylanpan214 07-30-2011 05:53 PM

this is dylans dad here and i think our biggest concerns right now are with hooking up the shifter (we are looking at a lokar trans mount shifter) on the 96 transmission we have here you can notice in the picture that there are two shifter linkage arms , im told one is for shifting the gears and the other is for the detent(down shifting) the detent on this trans looks like it is run in the valve body with electronics thru a plug. IS THIS TRUE???? how do we get around this? - the other is how can we run our 1966 speedometer with the transmission we have. thanks for your help , im afraid we may have the wrong transmission for this truck. Im a hard core chevy guy and my son has drug me into your world , so you should be proud of him.hahaha (as am i)

any help here is GREATLY appreciated

Tobys351.9 07-30-2011 09:07 PM

I know how it is man.

This is my first old ford that I have worked on extensively, I think only the third one I have owned in my life and I have gone thru a lot of vehicles, especially when I was young and learning to fly them.
Don't say evyshay ootay oudlay on this site, some people get a little uptight.
My best friend from primary school on, owns one of every generation of Z28 except the last one, and they are nice. 69 302 4 speed Orange + black, we were tearing it up in that when it was a 5 year old car in high school.
I don't know that much about that C6 trans myself, I don't like automatics in a truck, they're Ok in the car but I'm old now and prefer 4 doors also.
That site in My last post may help when the weekend is over, as far as the operation of the attachments go because the sell those controls.
I have a hardcore Ford friend that I am going to talk to tomorrow, he might know something about them. He don't have one of those fancy cellular telephones yet so I stop by unannounced like the old days.
Gook lucks

jowilker 07-31-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dylanpan214 (Post 10639785)
this is dylans dad here and i think our biggest concerns right now are with hooking up the shifter (we are looking at a lokar trans mount shifter) on the 96 transmission we have here you can notice in the picture that there are two shifter linkage arms , im told one is for shifting the gears and the other is for the detent(down shifting) the detent on this trans looks like it is run in the valve body with electronics thru a plug. IS THIS TRUE???? how do we get around this? - the other is how can we run our 1966 speedometer with the transmission we have. thanks for your help , im afraid we may have the wrong transmission for this truck. Im a hard core chevy guy and my son has drug me into your world , so you should be proud of him.hahaha (as am i)

any help here is GREATLY appreciated

Dad, For your own good, take the ID numbers to your local Ford dealer and find out what transmission you are dealing with. I don't have number dummys books but am somewhat certain (but not positive) the C6 had been dropped by 96. Calling it something, trying to get parts for it when it aint what you think it is can run you in a circle with no end.

When I swapped a C6 in my 66 F100 the shifting arm slanted down, had a heck of a time connecting to it, could not shift into 1st gear no way no how. Found out that I had a tranny out of a car, the truck C6 shift arm was more horizontal. After several years I had it corrected.

The shift arm is much different from mine on your tranny. You are correct, one is passing gear downshift, it is limited on movement, connects by rod to carb linkage. You should feel clicks for gears as it would go form P to R to N to D etc.

Find out what you have and getting to where you want to end up will be easier.

ford390gashog 07-31-2011 06:35 AM

The C-6 was used in 96 but only for special purpose! Mostly used on fleet orders. Remove the plate on the tailshaft that is covering the the speedo hole and look inside you should see a plastic gear inside if not then the tailshaft needs to come off and you need to slip one on the output shaft to run your cable (your cable will bolt right up to the housing) the electronics on the shifter is just the Neutral safety switch which also controls brake lights.

Dylanpan214 08-01-2011 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by ford390gashog (Post 10641269)
The C-6 was used in 96 but only for special purpose! Mostly used on fleet orders. Remove the plate on the tailshaft that is covering the the speedo hole and look inside you should see a plastic gear inside if not then the tailshaft needs to come off and you need to slip one on the output shaft to run your cable (your cable will bolt right up to the housing) the electronics on the shifter is just the Neutral safety switch which also controls brake lights.

if its not a c6 then what could it be???

ford390gashog 08-02-2011 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dylanpan214 (Post 10648389)
if its not a c6 then what could it be???

Its obvious its a C6.

Scndsin 08-02-2011 07:50 AM

Count the pan bolts, then look here:

LMC Truck Parts - Pages 8 and 9

hollygreenman 08-02-2011 10:01 AM

I think John's on to something here. C is the decade code 1960's, d-70's, e-80's and f-90's. 2 is the year code, so I'm guessing a '92 year whatever it is.

Dylanpan214 08-09-2011 11:27 PM

Hey Numberdummy, Welcome back, can you please help me with the Transmission? thanks-Dylan

NumberDummy 08-13-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jowilker (Post 10638256)

It's a C6, but it's not from a 1996. Trans ID tag on servo cover F2UP-GA = 1992 C6 from an Econoline (if from a 1992 F Series truck, it would be F2TP).

John, besides 1968/89's, the C6 was offered on 1990/96 Econolines, F150/350's & F Super Duty's.

Originally Posted by Ford390gashog
Remove the plate on the tailshaft that is covering the speedo hole and look inside...you should see a plastic gear...

The speedometer DRIVE gear on a C6 is not plastic, nor it is replaceable. It's steel, since it's made as part of the output shaft.

The speedometer DRIVE and DRIVEN (end of the cable) gears are not plastic, they are nylon. Nylon is more resistant to wear and chipping than plastic.

And, depending on the applications, some (replaceable) DRIVE gears are steel, and on some 1970's and earlier trucks, some DRIVEN gears have teeth that are made of a fiber material.

The fiber teeth are then attached to either a steel or cast iron shaft.