Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oregon Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum190/)
-   -   Oregon... Speed Limit? or Speed Suggestion? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1087273-oregon-speed-limit-or-speed-suggestion.html)

dchamberlain 07-29-2011 06:32 PM

Oregon... Speed Limit? or Speed Suggestion?

The other day I was talking with some friends and for some reason we got around to the 55 MPH typical speed limit in Oregon. They told me that some time ago Oregon changed the laws such that the speed limits in many cases weren't "limits" per say, but more "suggestions."

Being intrigued, I have been doing some searching. I haven't found anything definitive, but I have found some things interesting.

First off, from the Oregon Traffic-Roadway section.

Traffic-Roadway Section (TRS) Speed Zoning Program

It has an Overview, some basic definitions, the Basic Rule, which we should all know, then gets down to speed limits and then says this...

In addition to the Basic Speed Rule, some roadways in Oregon have specific speed limits. Speed signs posted on interstate freeways, any roadway within a city, and school speed zones reflect speed limits. In addition, speed limits apply to certain types of vehicles -- large trucks, school buses and vehicles transporting children or workers.

Speed limits do not authorize speeds higher than those required for compliance with the Basic Speed Rule. Conversely, the Basic Speed Rule does not authorize speeds higher than those established as speed limits.
It seems to me that they leave a lot of room for people not on interstates, in cities, school zones and driving certain vehicles.

Now we move on to this one, which appears to be the law itself.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/e...oc/orspeed.pdf

Again, we see the basic rule, then we see this...

It is prima facie evidence of a violation of the basic speed rule to
exceed the following speed limits.
A) 65 MPH on rural interstate highways ''811.105(2)(f), 811.112(1) & 811.123(1)(e)
B) 55 MPH on other highways '811.105(2)(g) & 811.123(1)(f)
C) 25 MPH in a public park '811.105(2)(d) & 811.123(1)(d)
D) 25 MPH in a residential district if the district is not located within

etc. etc.
So again, violating posted limits is evidence of violation of the basic rule, but not necessarily actually violating the basic rule.

So what says everyone? Limits or suggestions?

Seabiscuit-P3 07-29-2011 08:29 PM

http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/811.html

811.100 Violation of basic speed rule; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of violating the basic speed rule if the person drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard to all of the following:

(a) The traffic.

(b) The surface and width of the highway.

(c) The hazard at intersections.

(d) Weather.

(e) Visibility.

(f) Any other conditions then existing.

(2) The following apply to the offense described in this section:

(a) The offense is as applicable on an alley as on any other highway.

(b) Speeds that are prima facie evidence of violation of this section are established by ORS 811.105.

(c) This section and ORS 811.105 establish limitation on speeds that are in addition to speed limits established in ORS 811.111.

(3) Except as provided in subsection (4) of this section, violation of the basic speed rule by exceeding a designated speed posted under ORS 810.180 is punishable as provided in ORS 811.109.

(4) The offense described in this section, violating the basic speed rule, is a Class B traffic violation if the person drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed that is not reasonable and prudent under the circumstances described in subsection (1) of this section even though the speed is lower than the appropriate speed specified in ORS 811.105 as prima facie evidence of violation of the basic speed rule. [1983 c.338 §563; 1987 c.887 §9; 1989 c.592 §4; 1991 c.728 §5; 1999 c.1051 §229; 2003 c.819 §5]

811.105 Speeds that are evidence of basic rule violation. (1) Any speed in excess of a designated speed posted by authority granted under ORS 810.180 is prima facie evidence of violation of the basic speed rule under ORS 811.100.

(2) If no designated speed is posted by authority granted under ORS 810.180, any speed in excess of one of the following speeds is prima facie evidence of violation of the basic speed rule:

(a) Fifteen miles per hour when driving on an alley or a narrow residential roadway.

(b) Twenty miles per hour in a business district.

(c) Twenty-five miles per hour in any public park.

(d) Twenty-five miles per hour on a highway in a residence district if:

(A) The residence district is not located within a city; and

(B) The highway is neither an arterial nor a collector highway.

(e) Fifty-five miles per hour in locations not otherwise described in this section. [1983 c.338 §564; 1985 c.16 §286; 1987 c.887 §10; 1989 c.592 §5; 1995 c.558 §3; 1997 c.404 §5; 1997 c.438 §3; 2003 c.397 §6; 2003 c.819 §6; 2007 c.367 §3]

811.108 Relationship between speed limits and basic rule. (1) The speed limits established by ORS 811.111 do not authorize speeds higher than those required for compliance with the basic speed rule.

(2) The basic speed rule does not authorize speeds higher than those established as speed limits by ORS 811.111. [1987 c.887 §5; 2003 c.819 §8]

(Maximum Speeds)

811.111 Violating a speed limit; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of violating a speed limit if the person:

(a) Drives a vehicle on an interstate highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour or, if a different speed is posted under ORS 810.180 (3), at a speed greater than the posted speed.

(b) Notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this subsection, drives any of the following vehicles at a speed greater than 55 miles per hour on any highway or, if a different speed is posted under ORS 810.180 (3), at a speed greater than the posted speed:

(A) A motor truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 10,000 pounds or a truck tractor with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 8,000 pounds.

(B) A school bus.

(C) A school activity vehicle.

(D) A worker transport bus.

(E) A bus operated for transporting children to and from church or an activity or function authorized by a church.

(F) Any vehicle used in the transportation of persons for hire by a nonprofit entity as provided in ORS 825.017 (9).

(c) Drives a vehicle or conveyance on any part of the ocean shore in this state at a speed greater than any of the following:

(A) Any designated speed for ocean shores that is established and posted under ORS 810.180.

(B) If no designated speed is posted under ORS 810.180, 25 miles per hour.

(d) Drives a vehicle upon a highway in any city at a speed greater than a speed posted by authority granted under ORS 810.180 or, if no speed is posted, the following:

(A) Fifteen miles per hour when driving on an alley or a narrow residential roadway.

(B) Twenty miles per hour in a business district.

(C) Twenty-five miles per hour in a public park.

(D) Twenty-five miles per hour on a highway in a residence district if the highway is not an arterial highway.

(E) Sixty-five miles per hour on an interstate highway.

(F) Fifty-five miles per hour in locations not otherwise described in this paragraph.

(e) Drives a vehicle in a school zone at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour if the school zone is:

(A) A segment of highway described in ORS 801.462 (1)(a) and:

(i) The school zone has a flashing light used as a traffic control device and operated under ORS 811.106 and the flashing light indicates that children may be arriving at or leaving school; or

(ii) If the school zone does not have a flashing light used as a traffic control device, the person drives in the school zone between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. on a day when school is in session.

(B) A crosswalk described in ORS 801.462 (1)(b) and:

(i) A flashing light used as a traffic control device and operated under ORS 811.106 indicates that children may be arriving at or leaving school; or

(ii) Children are present, as described in ORS 811.124.

(2) The offense described in this section, violating a speed limit, is punishable as provided in ORS 811.109. [2003 c.819 §4; 2003 c.819 §4a; 2005 c.573 §1; 2005 c.770 §6; 2007 c.367 §4]

Oregon does not like to follow the KISS rule. Trying to not be overly complicated and yet too simple: The speed sign says 55 or you are in an area that is "designated" 55, a rural 2 lane hwy then at 56 theoretically you could get a ticket. Throw in ice - snow, other traffic, limited visibility like fog and you could get a VRB for driving 40 in that same 55 zone.

The condition of your vehicle such as worn tires, bad brakes etc can also figure into VBR.

dchamberlain 07-29-2011 08:56 PM

Interesting stuff

Speed limits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
State Traffic and Speed Laws

Seabiscuit-P3 07-29-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by dchamberlain (Post 10637456)

Like I said, Oregon does not believe in the KISS rule. If they did they would cause a panic and a loss of membership in the Oregon Bar Association.

Old93junk 07-31-2011 12:06 AM

The speed limit in Oregon should be 75 in rural areas..............EXCEPT, anywhere around Eugene and Portland, these people should be forced into mass public transit, and driving privileges forever revoked.

Seabiscuit-P3 07-31-2011 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Old93junk (Post 10640992)
The speed limit in Oregon should be 75 in rural areas..............EXCEPT, anywhere around Eugene and Portland, these people should be forced into mass public transit, and driving privileges forever revoked.

Never gonna happen.......not as long as Oregon has to live with what Portland and Eugene dictate.......oops, I mean elect.

customcab66 08-03-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Old93junk (Post 10640992)

I think they should send them all to L.A. and locked in that area so they can kill each other and leave the rest of us alone:-drink

joe_13894 08-03-2011 10:57 PM

The majority of the idiots in Portland are bay area transplants. The bay area is the origin of the busybody liberal who wants to tell you how to live your life. I don't mind libertarian liberals who want to be left alone. It's the busybodies that think they know what's best for me that piss me off.

The way to think about it: Wyoming is conservative. So is Alabama. But what's the difference? Wyoming is conservative because of ranchers and other rugged individuals. Alabama is conservative because they are Southern Baptists. In Wyoming they don't give a rip what you do as long as you leave them alone. In Alabama they consider it their mission to save your soul.

San Fransisco is the Alabama of liberalism.

As city dwellers go, LA is actually a conservative area. Not LA city proper, but the whole entire metro area. Without the bay area, California is a conservative state.

If our transplants were from LA, our state wouldn't be being over-run with busybody libs. Unfortunately the LA folks tend to be unable to take the rain so they go to AZ and NV.

Rgd9664 08-04-2011 12:49 AM

i am i college for Criminal Justice and had a chance to speak with a officer about the speed limit, the will give you a 5 mph up break if you are speeding but it is up to the officer.
he will make the call on the weather and conditions of the road and how traffic is moving.
i agree that the speed limit should be higher but only for some cause some people here cant drive worth $h!+.......... lol

Seabiscuit-P3 08-04-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Rgd9664 (Post 10657257)
i am i college for Criminal Justice and had a chance to speak with a officer about the speed limit, the will give you a 5 mph up break if you are speeding but it is up to the officer.
he will make the call on the weather and conditions of the road and how traffic is moving.
i agree that the speed limit should be higher but only for some cause some people here cant drive worth $h!+.......... lol

The officer was correct but, there is no hard or fast rule. All traffic law enforcement including speed is usually a jurisdictional policy with Officer discretion thrown in.
As an example, they may ignore you if you drive 10 over in Sandy, Mollala or Oakridge while at the same time you may get a ticket in Oregon City, Sweet Home or McMinnville. On top of that, there are "maximum" enforcement areas where there are a high rate of accidents or resident complaints.
Then there are the officers who are assigned to a "traffic enforcement unit". Their primary focus is traffic law enforcement. They will take enforcement action on a lot of traffic laws and speeds that officers assigned to regular patrol choose not too or don't have time for............so the bottom line is to drive the posted or designated speed. Anything over that and you're gambling.
A recent example: About 3 months ago, on a rural section of Hwy 99W (55 zone) I was driving 62 MPH. Can't even begin to count the number of times I have gone by Officers in this area at that speed with out so much as getting a look. This particular morning an OSP trooper pulled me over. I was lucky and got a warning but, it could just as easily have been a ticket. And no, this was not a "rookie" out to prove job performance to the new bosses.

joe_13894 08-05-2011 12:47 PM

I'd suggest not trying 10 over in Oakridge. Whenever I go through there is usually someone pulled over.

CSIPSD 08-05-2011 01:20 PM

I run typically 5-8 over the limit if I am looking to avoid a ticket.

When I am caugh speeding its usually 75-or so in a 55...

Old93junk 08-05-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by joe_13894 (Post 10662875)
I'd suggest not trying 10 over in Oakridge. Whenever I go through there is usually someone pulled over.

Oakridge is hurting $$$ wise...............I would suggest strictly adhering to the speed limit as you pass through on hi-way 58.

Seabiscuit-P3 08-05-2011 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by CSIPSD (Post 10662979)
I run typically 5-8 over the limit if I am looking to avoid a ticket.

When I am caugh speeding its usually 75-or so in a 55...

I can't ever remember looking for a ticket, so I guess I fit in the 5 to 8 MPH range except when I go through Amity. In Amity you drive 5 under the limit and keep your fingers crossed!:-hair

joe_13894 08-06-2011 01:28 AM

Add Adair Village to another town that thinks 99W is a revenue stream.

It tell you, if I was a State Trooper, I'd figure out who the mayor, town council members and the police officers were. I'd then make sure that all of their spouses are good drivers.

In the interest of safety of course....