Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   regens every 125 to 150 miles--should I be worried ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1086637-regens-every-125-to-150-miles-should-i-be-worried.html)

Tom 09-18-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10822154)
Impossible. PCM will command a regen at just over 600 miles if one has not occurred.

Impossible is a strong word, Scott. Do you have a source to confirm this? I've read this before as well, but haven't seen any kind of official Ford or Navistar document to confirm this.

Not sure how a dirty air filter can cause more regens, but I know there is some relationship because of the CEL that can be generated by some aftermarket air filters. It's a DPF efficiency code, so there's something related there...

ab257z 09-18-2011 07:04 PM

My truck regens pretty much every 140 miles when loaded, and takes about 10-15 minutes to finish. It only drops the mileage .1 or .2 mpg from the start of the tank (I reset when I fill the tank). With the new flash, even with the display blanked, it is not unusual for me to miss the message - it is only displayed for about 2 seconds.

slowmans 09-18-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy001 (Post 10823128)
Impossible is a strong word, Scott. Do you have a source to confirm this? I've read this before as well, but haven't seen any kind of official Ford or Navistar document to confirm this.

Not sure how a dirty air filter can cause more regens, but I know there is some relationship because of the CEL that can be generated by some aftermarket air filters. It's a DPF efficiency code, so there's something related there...

I wonder the same thing, and maybe it has changed with the new flash?

senix 09-18-2011 07:22 PM

I have been looking...I could swear I had it somewhere. So far the TSB's have wording to the effect of 100-600 range.

I will keep looking.

cheezit 09-18-2011 08:24 PM

regen will failsafe at 600 miles. thats part of the programing. I also have not seen this written but have been told by tech support.

jdcass 09-18-2011 08:49 PM

i have had multiple regens in the 6-700 range. my last regen caught me off guard in the mid 500's but i had been doing some city driving. my miles are almost always straight highway in the 60-65 mph range.

jdcass 09-18-2011 09:07 PM

i have an 08 cc 4x4 swb,20's, 3:73's,, s&b intake, bed cover. i use cetane boost in every tank and do my own maintenance by the book. i run 70-75 psi in my front tires and 65 in the rear unless i'm towing.

jdcass 09-18-2011 09:11 PM

cheezit, i see you are a ford tech. i work at alliance airport and am willing to let you check my truck.

Tan_Hands 09-19-2011 01:59 AM

I just took my truck on a 900 mile Highway trip. I regen 14 times in 900 miles. Those are the ones I noticed.
I love that I have a fully stock truck on stock tires that got 15 mpg out of the box now gets 9.3 on paper. I love my truck because it is so efficient and runs so well. I love having Ford Certified repair technicians who can plug in and tell me there is nothing wrong.
The truck goes back to the shop in the morning and it will stay there until they fix it, I get a rental car every day they have it. I am very tired of this, it is a waste of my time and money to have this truck. I could not even sell it without feeling bad for the fool who ends up with it. I am so close to calling Ford Motor Credit and telling them to pick it up at the dealership. We can go to court to figure it out.

jdcass 09-19-2011 07:22 AM

wow!! that is bad Tan.

i have had the same dealership experience. i consistently have been told that "there aren't any codes" and "couldn't duplicate problem". if you can't take a tsb to them i have no confidence that they can fix the problem.

senix 09-19-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tan_Hands (Post 10825088)
I just took my truck on a 900 mile Highway trip. I regen 14 times in 900 miles. Those are the ones I noticed.
I love that I have a fully stock truck on stock tires that got 15 mpg out of the box now gets 9.3 on paper. I love my truck because it is so efficient and runs so well. I love having Ford Certified repair technicians who can plug in and tell me there is nothing wrong.
The truck goes back to the shop in the morning and it will stay there until they fix it, I get a rental car every day they have it. I am very tired of this, it is a waste of my time and money to have this truck. I could not even sell it without feeling bad for the fool who ends up with it. I am so close to calling Ford Motor Credit and telling them to pick it up at the dealership. We can go to court to figure it out.

I'd push to have them check the sensor fore and aft of the DPF. Maybe they are just out of tolerance?

Tail pipes clean? Using any coolant?

DesertRider 09-19-2011 09:52 AM

Sorry this thread is getting a little off course, but it's evolving into something that has always made me mad. No code, no problem. I have a problem with my 08 F450 that only occurs when towing and usually in hot weather or pulling a steep grade. Of course they can't reproduce it, and I can't reproduce it for them in town,,,so my problem does not exist and they do nothing to try and fix it. Anyone have a strategy to deal with Ford in times like these?