Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   The first Thousand Miles..... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1085450-the-first-thousand-miles.html)

Jettix2 07-22-2011 09:38 PM

The first Thousand Miles.....

Aaah, got my new ride last Thursday.

11 F250 CC 4WD Lariat 6.2L
Tri-Coat White Platinum Metallic w/ black leather
Lariat Interior Package, 3.73 ELD, Chrome Package, Plow Prep, and a couple other small items.

LOVE the truck......coming from a juiced up 2008 6.4L F250 XLT.....

Interior is very, very nice........as nice as my wife's Infiniti QX56, love the A/C seats, dual-zone auto climate control, factory stereo is killer with the subwoofer......backup camera makes trailer hitching a breeze. Power extend mirrors, power rear window, and the manual shift controls on the column are all handy......I also love the LCD command center.

Ford did a great job with this truck..........Super quiet, decent mileage (about 16 mpg at 55mph, 14.x at 65mph.....and about 12 mixed driving city/hwy....less than 1000 on the odo, it's not quite broken in yet:)

The 6.2 is a great motor. It doesn't have as much low-end grunt as my tuned 6.4, which would spin the tires from 10-50 if you rolled onto the throttle, but it's good:) Sounds great above 3500 rpm, too:)

The only things that annoy me are drivetrain related........

1) the transmission wants to upshift to 2nd gear too early, and NEVER wants to drop back down to 1st, even if making a sharp turn onto a side street, etc........in Tow/Haul mode it is much better, and I may simply get into the habit of hitting T/H when I'm in a hurry..... I realize Ford did this for mpg, but it still annoys me.

2) Power delivery in 1st gear is jerky......at about 3000 rpm and again at 5000 rpm, there is a noticable increase in power.....as though the ECU just did something drastic. Not sure if this is an effort to save mpg, or durabilty related on the drivetrain (I know Nissan witholds full-throttle on the Titan until like 45mpg to prevent people from tearing up the drivetrain), but I find it annoying.... For all I know, it could be the A/C compressor disengaging under WOT;)

On one hand, I do wish for a bit more "snap" off the line that a 4.30 would have given, but appreciate the mpg the 3.73 gives on the road.......and I'd have had to special order a '12 to have gotten a 4.30....... I knew this ahead of time, and it was a compromise either way. Off the line until ~~20mph, the truck isn't in it's power band and isn't moving with a whole lot of spunk. After that, it's fine.....:) Plenty of passing power, and towing is a non-issue. I pulled a 3,000 lb trailer about 5 miles yesterday, and the truck accelerated (even from a standstill) as though the trailer wasn't there. Makes me more confident about pulling my 7500lb trailer later this year:))

I love it.......no real regrets:)))

Ben

krewat 07-22-2011 10:02 PM

Great report, Ben...

I think I can safely say we'll all be interested in hearing about the NEXT 1000 miles, and the next, and the next... :-X14

Jettix2 07-22-2011 10:07 PM

....for sure, at 500 miles a week they rack up quickly:)

I forgot to mention how much more bounce there is in the rear suspension on the new truck without my 300# fiberglass topper present........it's currently at the body shop getting re-painted;)

2000silverbullet 07-23-2011 06:21 AM

Check out mikes comments in this thread: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...-response.html

Ford is holding back the throttle open angle even when you floor it. Mikes tunes correct this.

Super08 07-23-2011 06:55 AM

Yup makes a huge difference in how it drives.

kmonty2 07-25-2011 02:43 PM

If your only issues are withe the way the truck accelerates, then you would LOVE the tune Mike at 5 Star has. I got them and it is like a different truck. Shift point are in a lot better spots and getting off the line is no problem. The tow tune is awesome while towing and gives you much better power with the down shifts.