Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   '68 Ford has two flashers? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1084687-68-ford-has-two-flashers.html)

Khauler 07-19-2011 09:33 PM

'68 Ford has two flashers?

Only one of my blinkers was actually blinking on the instrument panel and on the taillight so i dug around and found that i had two flashers. One mounted behind the instrument panel and one hanging under the dash. My right taillight blinks and makes the click noise like usual but my left one is just a solid light both on the taillight and the instrument panel. One of the flashers is made of plastic and the other is made of metal. Is this common for '68 f-250?

catln7 07-19-2011 10:18 PM

Yes, one is for the turn signals the other is for your hazard flashers.
What is your front (parking) flasher doing?
That could be why it won't flash on left turns.
Bad grounding is notorious on the front light/ flasher housings

Chris

Khauler 07-19-2011 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by catln7 (Post 10598166)
Yes, one is for the turn signals the other is for your hazard flashers.
What is your front (parking) flasher doing?
That could be why it won't flash on left turns.
Bad grounding is notorious on the front light/ flasher housings

Chris

I didn't even realize i had a parking flasher. Where is it located?

Also do you know why on my truck the right taillight has two bulbs in it. One in a big chamber then the other is in a smaller chamber located right behind the white square on the taillight lens.
But on my left taillight i only have one main bulb. in the big chamber and where the second bulb would be there is a delete plate riveted on with nothing behind it.

Is this stock? or something the previous owner rigged up? I was thinking they maybe took a taillight housing from a different year and put it in...

catln7 07-19-2011 11:02 PM

You should have parking lamps in the grill, they are dual filament bulbs, like your rear stop lights. One filament is the parking lights the other filament is your front turn signal, I wasn't too clear on my initial reply. Any way your front left lamp may not be working.
It sounds like you have mixed Rear housings. The clear lens is for your back up lights.

Chris

Khauler 07-19-2011 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by catln7 (Post 10598331)
You should have parking lamps in the grill, they are dual filament bulbs, like your rear stop lights. One filament is the parking lights the other filament is your front turn signal, I wasn't too clear on my initial reply. Any way your front left lamp may not be working.
It sounds like you have mixed Rear housings. The clear lens is for your back up lights.

Chris

If my front left lamp is not working will it affect my rear tailight? Also the previous owner had changed transmissions but did not hook up any backuplights to the tranny so if i get matching housings with the backup lights could i wire the backuplights to a switch in my cab?

NumberDummy 07-20-2011 03:51 AM

Same taillamps: 1967/72 F100/350 Styleside; 1967/77 Bronco; 1969/74 Econoline.

Double filament bulb-clear: 1157 / Double filament bulb-amber: 1157NA.

4 way flashers use a H/D flasher, can also be used for the turn signals.

The 4 way flasher nestled inside a bracket that was mounted (w/1 screw) behind the dash adjacent to the radio.

VV01F13 07-20-2011 03:32 PM

I JUST BOUGHT A 68 F100 SHORTBED TURN SIGNALS AND BRAKE LIGHTS DONT WORK COULD THIS BE A FUSE? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME VV01F13@YAHOO.COM IM A CHICK DOIN THIS ALL MYSELF COULD REALLY USE SOME HELP CANT GET A REPAIR MANUAL FOR THIS THING.

gfw1985 07-20-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Khauler (Post 10598438)
If my front left lamp is not working will it affect my rear tailight? Also the previous owner had changed transmissions but did not hook up any backuplights to the tranny so if i get matching housings with the backup lights could i wire the backuplights to a switch in my cab?

What transmission do you have? Backup light switch is in different locations depending on tranny. Check the grounds as mentioned, possibly turn signal switch itself is dirty or def. Spray can of electrical cleaner can sometimes get them working.

77blue 07-20-2011 08:13 PM

What do your parking lights do when you turn them on? I sound to me like you might have either a burned out filament in your bulb or a bad ground. Another possibility is what I found on my truck, is that someone put in a single filament bulb into my park/turn housing. The blinker light staying on constant is a sign to the driver that something is wrong. As for your backup lights, is there a socket laying around somewhere back there? Perhaps it shorted and someone just cut it off. If the P O didn't hook up the switch to the transmission it should still be hanging around somewhere under your truck. Good luck.

Khauler 07-21-2011 01:22 AM

I got all my lights workin it turned out just to be a bad bulb up in the parking lamps on the front. Turn signals and everything work a o ok now luckily it was a simple fix. I'm runnin a BorgWarner T-18 4 speed mannual transmission.

mk 07-21-2011 11:04 AM

Your tail light housing with no backup bulb is likely from a 64-66 pickup.

mike

gfw1985 07-21-2011 11:12 AM

T-18 is one I don't know where the backup light switch is. Sure someone on here does. My NP435 is on the transmission itself. Much better to have it working correctly than seperate switch on dash somewhere and you forget and leave it on.

mk 07-21-2011 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by VV01F13 (Post 10600679)
I JUST BOUGHT A 68 F100 SHORTBED TURN SIGNALS AND BRAKE LIGHTS DONT WORK COULD THIS BE A FUSE? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME VV01F13@YAHOO.COM IM A CHICK DOIN THIS ALL MYSELF COULD REALLY USE SOME HELP CANT GET A REPAIR MANUAL FOR THIS THING.

By all means, check the easy stuff first like fuses and flasher units. As the brake lights and turn signals are routed through the turn signal switch, that will probably be your next suspect. Here's a link to a 68 wiring diagram that may help....

http://www.fordification.com/tech/wiring/68-23.jpg

mike