Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum290/)
-   -   ANYBODY HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH DEXTER NEVER LUBE AXLES (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1084650-anybody-have-experience-with-dexter-never-lube-axles.html)

StanleyZ 07-19-2011 08:04 PM

ANYBODY HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH DEXTER NEVER LUBE AXLES

I have a Mobile Suites with Dexter Never Lube bearings. I need to repair the brakes in one hub. I'm on the road and have limited tools but I think it would cost less to buy a torque wrench and a socket/power bar then to take it to a dealer. Here's the question: Once I have the axle nut off do the dexter bearings just slide out like the outer bearing on a greased axle? Or, do I have to remove the spring clip I see in the hub? Also, does anyone know the size of the axle nut, my 36MM is just a tad too small. Thanks for any help you can give me.

RV_Tech 07-19-2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 10597466)
I have a Mobile Suites with Dexter Never Lube bearings. I need to repair the brakes in one hub. I'm on the road and have limited tools but I think it would cost less to buy a torque wrench and a socket/power bar then to take it to a dealer. Here's the question: Once I have the axle nut off do the dexter bearings just slide out like the outer bearing on a greased axle? Or, do I have to remove the spring clip I see in the hub? Also, does anyone know the size of the axle nut, my 36MM is just a tad too small. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I have not done one, but this link may be of some help. Noting you have to reinstall the clip when putting it back together, my thought would be you have to remove it to get things apart. Otherwise I would just call Dexter tech support

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Instr...59-831-00A.pdf

Good luck,

Steve

StanleyZ 07-19-2011 09:34 PM

Thanks Steve. There seems to be a typo on that page, like they combined the removal with the reinstall. But I think it tells me enough to get me going. There are two snap rings visible, a small one on the spindle and a large one that appears to be in a groove on the hub. If I read the page you sent me to right it is the small one that needs to be removed and then replaced. Thanks again.

RV_Tech 07-20-2011 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 10597930)
Thanks Steve. There seems to be a typo on that page, like they combined the removal with the reinstall. But I think it tells me enough to get me going. There are two snap rings visible, a small one on the spindle and a large one that appears to be in a groove on the hub. If I read the page you sent me to right it is the small one that needs to be removed and then replaced. Thanks again.

I agree there is a typo. I also agree with your conclusion and you can always call Dexter for clarification.

Good luck,

Steve

senix 07-20-2011 06:17 AM

Subscribing! I carry a bunch of tools with me when I am on the road but no snap ring pliers..guess I better add that to the list as well.

Keep us posted Stanley.

StanleyZ 07-20-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 10598966)
Subscribing! I carry a bunch of tools with me when I am on the road but no snap ring pliers..guess I better add that to the list as well.

Keep us posted Stanley.

It's not the pliers I'm short of, it's the 1.5 inch socket and the 150 lb torque wrench. I can buy the wrench but don't know where to get the 150 lbs of torque. Guess I'll get a 10 ft long pipe and jump up and down on it.

senix 07-20-2011 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 10598985)
It's not the pliers I'm short of, it's the 1.5 inch socket and the 150 lb torque wrench. I can buy the wrench but don't know where to get the 150 lbs of torque. Guess I'll get a 10 ft long pipe and jump up and down on it.

Yeah you are gonna have to judge it by how hard it is to get off, short of going to a heavy truck shop and borrowing one..which I bet they won't.

RV_Tech 07-20-2011 06:47 AM

The question of how many tools to carry is ongoing. At one point, when we had a large diesel motor home, I even carried a 3/4" socket set for a time. Now I have cut back. I carry a small basic set and rely on buying what I need, if the problem goes beyond what I have with me.

Steve

rvpuller 07-20-2011 08:35 AM

Mine uses a 1 7/16 socket. Just remove the outer small safety snap ring on the spindle and remove the nut and the drum and bearing will slide off. My torque to 145-150 ft lbs. I'm not sure how many miles you have on yours but when I checked my at 75K this spring the inner race would move around in the seal and could see where the grease had leaked out of them so I replaced all 4 bearings when I was checking the brakes.

Denny

rvpuller 07-20-2011 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 10598985)

My wrench is only is only at the most 24" long and I have no problem with the 150 ft lbs.

Denny

RV_Tech 07-20-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by rvpuller (Post 10599301)
My wrench is only is only at the most 24" long and I have no problem with the 150 ft lbs.

Denny

Ditto

Steve

StanleyZ 07-20-2011 05:08 PM

I'm pushing 70 pretty hard, but if I can untorque it I'm sure I can retorque. I found a shop that seems competent. They will do it but not til Monday. I want to be on my way Sunday. Think I'll go price the tools this evening and I may give it a go. If I recall right there was a small plastic or rubber looking band on the spindle, my thought was that it was there so Dexter could tell if someone had removed the axle nut. Am I right or is there something else to it? Thanks again, once more FTE is saving my butt. It's a great site with a lot of knowledge in it's users.

rvpuller 07-20-2011 10:23 PM

If you get the nut off just put it back on the same way it came off and go home, it's not rocket science just a big nut. If you look at it close the nut puts pressure on the inner race of the bearing. Just a big nut that is really tight:-drink

Denny

If you have to buy a new socket and you don't don't know the size buy a 1.5" 6 point and it will work if you have the 1 7/16 like mine. Don't ask

StanleyZ 07-21-2011 07:00 AM

OK, I won't. I'll just buy both and return the one I don't use. Thanks again for the help.