Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   how to use my dvd player in my nav while in drive (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1084338-how-to-use-my-dvd-player-in-my-nav-while-in-drive.html)

dennd 07-18-2011 08:23 PM

how to use my dvd player in my nav while in drive

Hello There,
I have a 2011 F350 Super Duty Diesel with navigation. The dvd only plays in park for safety reasons. I want to be able to watch dvd's in drive while in line ups like to the border etc.. I was told it is only cut one wire or something very simple. Can someone tell me how to do this. Maybe you know of a you tube video or can explain it simply. I am a mechanic so it will not be a problem.

ebexp94 07-18-2011 08:42 PM

I have heard in the past that if your ground the parking brake, it will allow you to pull this off. Hoever, this is only for aftermarket units, I doubt the factory unit reads the status of the parking brake, probably the transmission.

http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm
I googled and found this. It's far from cheap, but may be the only option for such a new vehicle with such complex technology.

I am a software engineer with one of Microsofts partner companies, and while I personally have never had anything to do with Sync, I highly doubt you will be able to mechanically overcome this systems safety/security features.

ebexp94 07-18-2011 08:44 PM

Excuse the spelling in my above post. I am on my cell phone. (mobile version of FTE has no Edit feature!)

Also, I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything, just giving my opinion.

awq134 07-18-2011 11:54 PM

do you have a column shifter? if so, i would look in the column and see if there is a simple switch that when the lever is in the park it grounds out the citcuit that allows the dvd to operate. as said above, the after market one require you by law to wire it to the parking brake, however if you put on a grounded toggle switch you can flip the switch and watch to your heats content. i would advise against it tho, unless it's for the passengers only. just my .02 cents

shotgunz 07-19-2011 06:16 AM

The Clarion HU/NAV uses the GPS signal to determine if the vehicle is in motion. Hard wiring a switch or ground will not work.

If you decide to install the lockpick, please make sure 1) it's not illegal in your state/county/city and 2) it is ONLY used for passengers.

dennd 07-19-2011 11:12 AM

my dvd in my navigation

Hello Again,

Thanks for the reply. I have found out how to do it. It is a five minute or less job. It is a simple cut of a wire under the dash. It will be for me to watch in drive....but only for when I am in a line up or waiting for a train, border etc. Trust me, I am a very saftey type guy and I will not be using the dvd while going doen the road.

Thanks Again

shotgunz 07-19-2011 11:27 AM

I'd love to know the source of this information 'cause I'm pretty sure he/she is wrong and you're going to end up with a non-functioning Nav unit.

A Clarion employee used to frequent the Audio Forum and he was pretty adamant that you cannot simply cut wire(s) to bypass the safety feature.

Then again, I've been wrong before and if you're right you could save a lot of people a lot of money (vs. buying the lockpick).

Pale Screw 07-19-2011 11:59 AM

He might be referring to the speed sense wire. This could affect how the Nav system works, or render it useless. This may also affect the operation of the cruise control. You never know now a days with all the electronics. A lot of systems, and sub-systems share wiring / components to function properly. I would use extreme caution when modifying, or hacking into the factory harness for anything.

shotgunz 07-19-2011 12:16 PM

Could be, but the current Nav/HU doesn't use the speed sense wire - it used the GPS signal.

See post No. 6: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...unit-help.html

gomerpyell 12-13-2011 12:46 AM

wat wire did you cut and where and did it work for you

LxMan1 12-13-2011 04:14 PM

Moved to correct forum!

bigal614 12-13-2011 07:49 PM

FORD LOCKPICKS
I googled and found this. It's far from cheap, but may be the only option for such a new vehicle with such complex technology.

I bought this unit and have to say that it's well worth the money.

How much did your truck cost and your worrying about a couple hundred bucks for something that works and won't mess your vehicle up?

shotgunz 12-14-2011 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by bigal614 (Post 11150743)
FORD LOCKPICKS How much did your truck cost and your worrying about a couple hundred bucks for something that works and won't mess your vehicle up?

And how much are you out when it does?

J Bossman 09-29-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by dennd (Post 10593030)
Hello There,
I have a 2011 F350 Super Duty Diesel with navigation. The dvd only plays in park for safety reasons. I want to be able to watch dvd's in drive while in line ups like to the border etc.. I was told it is only cut one wire or something very simple. Can someone tell me how to do this. Maybe you know of a you tube video or can explain it simply. I am a mechanic so it will not be a problem.

Did u find out how to bypass the DVD while driving is so can u tell me

MX727 09-30-2013 11:02 AM

You have to remove the GPS signal to the head unit and fool the unit into thinking that the parking brake is set. I'm sure you can find the GPS wire and put a switch on it. At that point, you may be able to set one click on the parking brake and have it work. However, the Lockpick is a cleaner, reversible, albeit, more expensive solution. The Lockpick will also allow you to add additional cameras and you can use your cameras while in motion.