Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   EL Owners...Would You Buy the EL Again? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1084122-el-owners-would-you-buy-the-el-again.html)

kailor 07-18-2011 07:53 AM

EL Owners...Would You Buy the EL Again?

I'd like to pose a question to all of you EL owners out there. Knowing what you know now about your EL, if you could go back to the time of purchase, would you buy the EL again? Please share your likes and dislikes with me. Also, if you have comparisons against other Expedition models to share I'd certainly like to hear that as well. It will one day be time to graduate from my 2000 Expedition. Which model year EL is best?

Thanks in advance.
Keith

bigal614 07-18-2011 01:44 PM

This is very good question as I'm thinking about selling my Xcursion and buying a new EL.

The problem that I see is that Chevy is the only other big/long SUV on the market and I'll never buy a GM product after they sold their soul to the Govt.

chuck s 07-18-2011 07:14 PM

The EL will not fit in my garage without extensive loss of storage space. I can take 8 passengers (1+7) in my standard model and don't need the extra cargo space.

-- Chuck

cstanley44 07-18-2011 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by chuck s (Post 10592657)
The EL will not fit in my garage without extensive loss of storage space. I can take 8 passengers (1+7) in my standard model and don't need the extra cargo space.

-- Chuck

If you dont need the extra space, then the standard model is perfect.
I have 2 kids, strollers etc and always seem to have the grand parents with me so I need that extra space when the 3rd row is up.

After owning an EL I do prefer the longer look too.
Towing should be better with the longer wheel base
the rear doors are bigger on the EL too and because of that 3rd row access is a little easier.

I love my EL, but Ive never owned a standard model.
I have nothing but good to say about it.

The power rear gate and back up camera are almost a must.

Tylus 07-19-2011 06:35 AM

Love it. Wife loves it. Waiting for the 6.2 motor option and well likely be upgrading

Btw, EL and shorty are identical in all respects except for cargo area. EL has 18" more of "trunk" space. All doors are same size and 100% interchangeable

Only complaint I have is that it is a 4x2. Want a 4x4

cstanley44 07-19-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 10594592)
Love it. Wife loves it. Waiting for the 6.2 motor option and well likely be upgrading

Btw, EL and shorty are identical in all respects except for cargo area. EL has 18" more of "trunk" space. All doors are same size and 100% interchangeable

Only complaint I have is that it is a 4x2. Want a 4x4

They are not identical in all respects...
As I mentioned wheel base is longer, doors are longer and not intechangable

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/934650..._side_view.jpg

http://newcarbuyingguide.com/images/...ditionEB01.jpg

neitz 07-19-2011 07:57 AM

I went through this same decision making process last fall. I have had two explorers, and now with two kids we were looking for something a little bigger. Was really just looking at the regular sized models as I felt the seats would be down most of the time and wouldn't need the extra space. I'm a used buyer and ended up missing out on two regular models, and my wife started getting really upset that I kept missing out because of my negotiating.

Low and behold, one of the dealers I was working with called me with an EL Limited, and the price was right where I was looking to pay for the regular sized limited. To get to my point, I am so glad that we got the EL even though I wasn't really looking for it.

It's my wife's daily driver and she adapted from the explorer to the EL within a week, so that took care of one of my concerns. I was worried about gas mileage as well, but I understand there is not that much of a difference, and if I was really serious about MPG I wouldn't be looking at Expys to begin with. The main thing I realize now, is that if I would have gotten the regular sized model, I would probably be "wanting" every time I saw the ELs on the road, even thought that isn't what I wanted to being with (interpreted, I know myself, and with the EL, there is nothing really left to want). I know now that mine doesn't look all that big to me anymore that I'm used to it, but the regular ones definitely appear short.

So unless you have garage limitations or other serious concerns, and you are 50/50, I would lean towards the EL simply because I'm so glad that I did. Funny enough, I can't say I have used the extra space as of yet, but I don't really see the down side to that.

cstanley44 07-19-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by neitz (Post 10594823)
I went through this same decision making process last fall. I have had two explorers, and now with two kids we were looking for something a little bigger. Was really just looking at the regular sized models as I felt the seats would be down most of the time and wouldn't need the extra space. I'm a used buyer and ended up missing out on two regular models, and my wife started getting really upset that I kept missing out because of my negotiating.

Low and behold, one of the dealers I was working with called me with an EL Limited, and the price was right where I was looking to pay for the regular sized limited. To get to my point, I am so glad that we got the EL even though I wasn't really looking for it.

It's my wife's daily driver and she adapted from the explorer to the EL within a week, so that took care of one of my concerns. I was worried about gas mileage as well, but I understand there is not that much of a difference, and if I was really serious about MPG I wouldn't be looking at Expys to begin with. The main thing I realize now, is that if I would have gotten the regular sized model, I would probably be "wanting" every time I saw the ELs on the road, even thought that isn't what I wanted to being with (interpreted, I know myself, and with the EL, there is nothing really left to want). I know now that mine doesn't look all that big to me anymore that I'm used to it, but the regular ones definitely appear short.

So unless you have garage limitations or other serious concerns, and you are 50/50, I would lean towards the EL simply because I'm so glad that I did. Funny enough, I can't say I have used the extra space as of yet, but I don't really see the down side to that.

Your story is very close to mine too :-X22
I had 2 Explorers, but with our second child, and it seems the grand parents are always with us, the 3rd row was up.
The 3rd row in the Explorer is basically built for kids
I didnt have rear air which is almost a necessity in FL
When the Explorer 3rd row is up, there's enough space for a small stroller, nothing else. How often do you carry 7 people and no bags? Plus I needed 2 strollers!

So I was thinking about a super crew F150, and Id sell off my older explorer - a 1996 (I miss you Dora)
And thought here I am getting rid of a 5 seater, and going to spend a lot of money on another 5 seater.
Expedition was the next choice and when I realized I could get an EL my decision was firm.

I can access the auto auctions here, so I started watching for an 08 Limited EL as those were about my price range.
The problem with auction listings is they dont list all the options, just some or none sometimes. I really wanted the back up camera and power lift gate. And it was becoming a PITA to drive to the auction to be let down by the lack of detail on the report.

I then found one 3 hrs away in Miami on a dealer lot, and called. It was black, had the options I wanted... so I negotiated over the phone to almost auction price! I figured a little higher price was worth getting exactly what I wanted. Rented a car, drove down, picked it up and spent the weekend in Ft Lauderdale with the family. A good experience. The dealer detailed it, gave me new headphones and remote for the DVD too, it was shining! Felt like the king of the world when I did valet parking at the hotel LOL:-X04

you're right, if you're worried about MPG, you're probably looking at the wrong vehicle if considering an EL. But I very happy its economy...

My 04 Explorer with a 4.6 gets 14 mpg if Im lucky in the city, 18 highway. Its 4x4, and has the towing package with shorter gears than regular Explorers...
In the EL, the trip computer is always over 15 mpg city. On the highway if I reset for a long trip, I can easily get 20+. The weekend I bought it, driving from Miami to Orlando it read 21.7 mpg when I got home. However that was with cruise on 70mph and the roads are very flat.

The 4.6L explorer will get about 290 miles / tank city.
EL tank is bigger, but I can easily get 400 in the EL in the city
A recent trip to TN from FL, I topped 500 miles / tank.
Towing a car back on a trailer I still got 400/tank highway.

All in all I have not looked back, I love the EL, as mentioned there's nothing more to want. In a few years I'll likely get another to replace the Explorer I still have

function12 07-19-2011 11:11 AM

07 EL loved it. Upgraded to an 11 EL in December still love it. Don't have a really big family but I like the extra space behind the seats. To me the price difference was not theat big and the EPA fuel mileage is the same for EL and non-EL.

glruff 07-19-2011 12:58 PM

I was shopping for and Expy in 2009. My dealer had a demo which was a King Ranch EL which I turned down because I thought it was too big.

In May of 2010, I went shopping again, same dealer, and a different demo. 2010 Limited EL. I am so glad I talked myself into the EL.

The extra 18" doesn't sound like much until you load up 6 people with luggage and half the rest of the house, then you can appreciate having it.

I also love the sync radio that came with the 2010. Bluetooth connection to cell phone for hands free talk and connection to Pandora internet radio so you don't have to pay for sirius unless you want it.

So my vote definitely goes for the EL! :-X22

neitz 07-19-2011 03:31 PM

CStanley-
That mileage is impressive. Is that a 4x2?

cstanley44 07-19-2011 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by neitz (Post 10596403)
CStanley-
That mileage is impressive. Is that a 4x2?

yes it is a 4x2.
I drive it for economy, slow smooth take offs....Im not racing at every stop light if you know what I mean. Drive like you've got an egg between your foot and the gas pedal and it increases your mileage LOL
Plus it does not have the tow package so Im assuming the regular taller gears.

neitz 07-19-2011 04:07 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I get 14 and my wife gets 13 (no comment) for mostly city driving, and we have the 4x4 with the towing. It's amazing how far along the engines have come in a short while, because my much lighter explorer only gets 16. I can't wait to see what 2013 might bring.

eddiemoney 07-19-2011 08:09 PM

4x8 sheets fit in the EL; nuff said for those of us that don't own a truck.

8 people + luggage without one of those roof boxes is nice too

cstanley44 07-19-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by eddiemoney (Post 10597501)
4x8 sheets fit in the EL; nuff said for those of us that don't own a truck.

8 people + luggage without one of those roof boxes is nice too

4x8 sheets with the lift gate closed?? I was wondering about that!! Nice to know!