Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Idler Pully Replacement (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1082367-idler-pully-replacement.html)

dwild 07-11-2011 07:03 PM

Idler Pully Replacement

Hi

The Idler pully is shot on my 2003 5.4L 4x4 Off road model. The question I have is, can I replace this pully without removing the serpentine belt? The belt does not go around this pully, it only rubs against it.

I am thinking I can have a helper relieve the belt tension, while I remove the old one and replace the new one. Does this sound like a plan? Will the belt fall off any of the pully's when I relieve the tension?

On another note, is there a special tool I need to replace the belt just in case I do need to remove it?

Thanks
Dwild

d5332 07-12-2011 08:04 AM

Remove the belt, follow the diagram under your hood for re-installing the belt.

Rent the special tool from your local chain auto parts store.

shorebird 07-12-2011 02:02 PM

Take the tension off of the belt.
I use a breaker bar for that.
Slip the belt off of the pulley.
(This is when I would go ahead and change the belt too.)
Replace the idler pulley.
Reroute the belt into place.

93 mix 'n match 07-12-2011 02:14 PM

wtf? special tool? i just replaced mine not to long ago. its not like you have to completley remove the belt, just slide it off the alternator and bam, access to the idler pulley.

d5332 07-12-2011 02:51 PM

The tool is special bc it provides leverage...so yes, its a special tool, if you have a breaker bar that can work too

dwild 07-12-2011 11:33 PM

Idler Pully Install

There is not much to slip off, the idler only rubs up against the belt on this 5.4L motor.
This is why I think this may be possible with a helper holding the breaker bar.

Dwild.

BFTUFF 07-13-2011 01:01 AM

It's simple. You just have to remove a little tension off the S- belt and the idler pulley can be swapped out. There is no need to remove the S-belt unless your removing the tensioner and replacing that, then you will have to remove the S-belt. Getting that serpentine belt on an off with just two hands is a little tough though.

khadma 07-13-2011 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by 93 mix 'n match (Post 10566373)
wtf? special tool? i just replaced mine not to long ago. its not like you have to completley remove the belt, just slide it off the alternator and bam, access to the idler pulley.

Who doesnʻt like buying tools.:D

Although I donʻt have this particular tool, I created one to do this task.

BTW, having this special tool whether bought or made helps on different model cars and trucks.

Removing a serp belt on an older Taurus or a Windstar needs this type of tool.

Once you take tension off the serp belt, the rest of the job should be a snap.

Just keep you hands clear from in between the belt and pulleys when replacing the belt.

pommesdeux 07-13-2011 06:46 PM

Take a 1/2 drive bar loosen and remove the belt and replace the stock bearing with a $ 2.00 6203-2RS bearing (think that's the number) and reuse your Idler wheel. Pop out one of the rubber seals and pack it with a good synthetic grease replace and way to go, 20 min done.