Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Heater Control Valve Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1082323-heater-control-valve-question.html)

jasonodsky 07-11-2011 03:51 PM

Heater Control Valve Question

YES, I know it's summer but, still...

While diagnosing a problem with my rear AC not working, I pulled the rear plenum apart. I noticed the rear heater coil was really hot even though I did not turn the heat on at all that day.

I suspect a bad heater control valve. The one that stops hot coolant from going to the core when the AC is on. I have manual temp controls so I assumen it is vacuum controlled. Alldata does not give me a loction or vacuum routing specs for the valve so I am asking here.

1) Where do I find the heater control valve? Anyone have a picture?
2) Does it shut off the coolant to both the front and rear heater cores or just the front?

Thanks!

william_04_x 07-11-2011 05:15 PM

If you have a heater control valve, you should be able to find it fairly easily in the engine compartment. Trace your heater hoses, and look for the valve. The vacuum line may have come off of it, causing your hot coil issue. One valve should shut off the flow from both front, and rear coils.

My 04 is a diesel and the valve is on the passenger side of the engine compartment, back towards the firewall, with a small grey vacuum line attached to it.

wpnaes 07-11-2011 07:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Jason, check on the passenger side. I used this to fix my 'no heat' situation, but I never did check the rear heat (just camping gear back there and it doesn't complain):-X03
Disconnect the hoses gently else get coolant everywhere and down those cops!
Sean

While you're in there scraping knuckles clean up the PCV - (pic 3 stinkin' coolant everywhere.:-X19)

jdw1 07-11-2011 07:52 PM

What exactly do you do there?

william_04_x 07-11-2011 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by wpnaes (Post 10563275)
Jason, check on the passenger side. I used this to fix my 'no heat' situation, but I never did check the rear heat (just camping gear back there and it doesn't complain):-X03
Sean

While you're in there scraping knuckles clean up the PCV - (pic 3 stinkin' coolant everywhere.:-X19)

I'm guessing you're in Anaheim, Sean.

wpnaes 07-11-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by jdw1 (Post 10563465)
What exactly do you do there?

Veggies at work, but prefer camping.

Originally Posted by william_04_x (Post 10563470)
I'm guessing you're in Anaheim, Sean.

Live in Camarillo, check Trey's map (So Calif Chapter).

william_04_x 07-11-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by wpnaes (Post 10563592)
Live in Camarillo, check Trey's map (So Calif Chapter).

I was thinking "Where in So C"......

Nevermind. :-X21

Great post and pics :-X22

jasonodsky 07-12-2011 10:14 AM

Thanks Sean and william_04_x. It was really obvious to find once I looked :-X19. My '04 has the electrically heated PCV so there is no heater line going to it. I just replaced the PCV last week.

The '04 in line valve is still vacuum acuated but there is actually an arm and diaphram I can watch actuate when I change from AC to heat. I moved it a couple of times manually and then tested it from the cabin switch. It moved as expected but since I disturbed it before checking it from the cabin, it could have been stuck.

I'll do some testing and check the temp of the line behind the valve to see if it is getting hot and possibly leaking past the valve. I'll also clamp the hose and see if that changes things. I'll try to post a pic of the '04 version of the valve later today.

WeldWerx 07-04-2016 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by wpnaes (Post 10563275)
Sean

So does the flap stop the coolant from going out the bottom of the fitting? Trying to figure out which line to put a shut off valve in...and yes I've searched and searched so this is a last resort. Thanks.

wpnaes 07-04-2016 03:45 PM

My guess is the bottom hose goes to the rear heater in the Ex. The upper left
one goes to the front passenger heater. I've never investigated this though. The one valve controls both heaters.

I was replacing this valve yearly with cheap parts; since I used a Ford part, haven't had any issue for a couple of years.

WeldWerx 07-09-2016 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by wpnaes (Post 16401209)
My guess is the bottom hose goes to the rear heater in the Ex. The upper left
one goes to the front passenger heater. I've never investigated this though. The one valve controls both heaters.

I was replacing this valve yearly with cheap parts; since I used a Ford part, haven't had any issue for a couple of years.

i could probably replace mine, but my ac isn't too cold, I was just hoping if I cut the coolant off to the front heater core it would improve a bit, I just don't want to put a manual valve on the wrong line.

Vwags 07-09-2016 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by WeldWerx (Post 16411426)
i could probably replace mine, but my ac isn't too cold, I was just hoping if I cut the coolant off to the front heater core it would improve a bit, I just don't want to put a manual valve on the wrong line.

I went/am going through this very thing. It drives me crazy that the vehicle just doesn't seem get that cool. Then the other night we were driving home at about dusk, it was still about 95 outside and I noticed the ac seemed cooler. I think we have so much surface area that the sun has a huge advantage. Now I am thinking about ceramic window tint again.

wpnaes 07-09-2016 01:37 PM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15048442

Give your fan clutch a check, if it's not working on a hot day, that a/c will never be cold.

05MilMachine 07-09-2016 02:33 PM

The heater control valve only gets vac when on "MAX A/C" any other settings it opens up. My black truck in the Texas heat takes quite a while to cool down if I don't crack the windows while parked. After a few miles on the freeway though, its blowing nice cold air. I think its just the size of the greenhouse we drive around.

WeldWerx 07-09-2016 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vwags (Post 16411609)
I went/am going through this very thing. It drives me crazy that the vehicle just doesn't seem get that cool. Then the other night we were driving home at about dusk, it was still about 95 outside and I noticed the ac seemed cooler. I think we have so much surface area that the sun has a huge advantage. Now I am thinking about ceramic window tint again.

mine is need of a re-tint, but I've popped the heater core box open when on max ac and that ting is red hot so I just want to keep the air blowing through the vents from starting at a 190-200* disadvantage.