Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Washington Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum188/)
-   -   Truck Shopping in WA ('73-'77) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1080750-truck-shopping-in-wa-73-77-a.html)

highwayman507 07-05-2011 10:05 PM

Truck Shopping in WA ('73-'77)

Hello, as you can see I am a new member here on FTE. I apologize if this is not the appropriate location for this post. However, I wanted to get localized feedback on my question.

I am currently shopping for a 1973-77 F250 4x4. I am in the Everett area but I have looked at several pickups all over that state. I am looking for something that has minimal rust or dents. However, I am not looking for a cherry pickup, just not something that will need require a full restoration project as I am pretty new to wrench-turning as well.

I have never purchased an older vehicle before. After doing some research I feel like I may be able to get something decent for between $3,000 to $5,000. My question is - in this area - what type of vehicle can I expect to get in this price range? It also feels like this particular truck can be difficult to find without a ton of aftermarket parts on it. Should I expect to pay more for an all original truck with some dents/rust than I would on a repainted and 1/2 restored project?

If anyone here could help me out with a list of items look out for or pitfalls to avoid (particular to this model or when buying older vehicles in general) I would be appreciative.

52 Merc 07-10-2011 11:05 PM

Welcome to the forum!
I haven't kept up on prices of the trucks you're looking for. But I can tell you, as you've discovered, it will likely be very difficult to find an all original, nice condition truck that meets your criteria. Back in the 80's, that was one of the most popular truck to modify and go off-roading in. (read: thrash) I know because I had a couple friends that did just that, and they had 2 friends, and so on, and so on.

I guess my best advice would be to try and find one in the best condition you can, that hasn't been butchered into oblivion. (wiring is probably one of the biggies to look out for) No matter what you find, there's going to be something on it you'll want to change, to make it 'your' truck anyway, so don't get too hung up on being all stock or all original. Like I said, as long as it hasn't been hacked to death, little stuff is pretty easy to fix, even for a beginner.

Good luck. :-X22

buttwheat 07-13-2011 08:32 AM

Just a note to you since I was searching for the same. There is a '76 sitting in O'Donnells's restaurants parking lot for sell 1 block east of I5 on 128th. it's in pretty good shape. It does have some small amount of rust at the bottom of the doors. Ge was asking $5500 for it, I offerd $3000 he said he had to talk to someone and I drove off and bought a different truck. He called me 2 days latter to accept the offer. Go and offer him $3000.

KrautBurner 07-14-2011 04:57 PM

I know of a late 70's 4x4 for cheep in Kitsap
looked fairly clean (From the road)

I called the guy, he will let it go very cheep (said it's got a burnt valve (or a few))

let me know if you want more info

Russ

highwayman507 07-16-2011 04:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I took a look at the one by O'donnell's yesterday. It seems like it is in super good shape. I'm a bit turned off by the color though. From what I have seen so far $3000 seems like a smokin' deal for that pickup. I'm heading down to Lacy today to take a look at '77.

buttwheat 07-16-2011 10:27 PM

Don't waste your time on the one in Lacey it is a 77 1/2 so it's not a high boy. I wasted my time and drove down last week it looked like Vern painted it with a paint brush.
Also don't waste your time going to Squeim that one is a total rust bucket. And the one in Sedro Wooley was to F'd withed for me.
Good luck

highwayman507 07-16-2011 11:19 PM

I got your message a bit too late! You were right - it was a '77 1/2. That paint job was bad for sure.

Does anyone have any recommendations for mechanics in the Everett area (or north)? Once I find one I'd like to know of someone I could take it to with specific knowledge on these trucks in case I get in over my head.

buttwheat 07-16-2011 11:40 PM

Ivers auto clinic on Everett ave. I haven't used them but have heard good things.
Speaking of Everett ave. there was a truck just off of it to the south for sale super clean looking (from the street) I didn't have time to stop plus I was driving my new truck. This is on Everett ave East of Broadway by maybe 10 blocks.

highwayman507 07-17-2011 04:15 AM

Has anyone taken a look at the dark green '76 in Renton? I'll go take a look at the one on Everett Ave. tomorrow.

buttwheat 07-17-2011 09:53 AM

No it looks nice. I don't know if you are just using f250 as your search on CL but try searching theses also highboy,high boy, hi boy, hiboy, f 250.
Oh and stay away from the red one in Renton with the bull horns on it.

PACNWHiboy 07-17-2011 12:06 PM

Take your time. Thats the biggest advice ill give ya. I have always wanted a hiboy and my budget was $3,000. I picked up a decent one for $2,000. I live in puyallup and found one in graham. I went and looked at it and the guy wanted 1800 for it. After looking at it i thought it was a killer deal. Until i pulled the oil dipstick that is. It was almost rusted shut. i pulled it out and there was tons of rusty oil in there. The guy tried to tell me there was no water in the motor but i know better. With your budget you should be able to find something good. Good luck. I am new on here as well. these guys are great if you have any questions. I know quite a bit about working on cars but this is the first ford i have owned. So if you have a question dont be affraid to ask. these guys are awesome and someone will have the answer or help you find it. Good luck and welcome!

highwayman507 07-19-2011 08:00 PM

I was about to pick up that green '76 in Renton - until things got super sketchy and I walked away from the deal. Long story short, I was about 80% sure that vehicle was being sold under duress from the seller's drug dealer - or some other equally shady situation.

Highboy shopping is a dirty business.

buttwheat 07-19-2011 09:56 PM

Oh I drove by the one in Everett the price was $10,500
I thought it was weird on the green one in Renton that all the pics are in front of some sort of auto repair place and they couldn't find a screw to put into the front license plate before taking pics.
Go offer the guy on 128th $2500 for it and spend the left over money on a paint job. It drives real nice.

highwayman507 07-20-2011 09:33 PM

Does it kill the value to repaint to a different color than what is indicated on the tag? Also, do you recall the color of the interior?

buttwheat 07-20-2011 09:41 PM

Yes but thats only if you are restoring it otherwise the value is what someone is willing to pay for it. I don't remember the interior color but if I remember correctly the original color of the truck was blue.