Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Last year for manuals (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1080330-last-year-for-manuals.html)

buck_ 07-04-2011 11:27 AM

Last year for manuals

I was looking at some 2011 F350-550 trucks and found out that you can no longer get a manual with them. That just blew me away. What the h is Ford thinking? It looks like I will never get a new vehicle again. I just don't like anything being made these days.

So my question to all the smart guys out there, what was the last year you could get a manual trans, T-case, and hubs in these trucks?

Also, I like the interior in my Dad's 2003, but can't say that for the 2010-11 I looked at. What year did Ford change the interior away from my Dad's truck?

My perfect truck would be the V-10, 6 speed manual, manual T-case, hubs, windows, locks, and no carpet, but that's just me.

Thanks

dkf 07-04-2011 11:29 AM

The 2010 MY was the last year for the 6 speed manual transmission in the SD.

Pili 07-04-2011 01:34 PM

2007 was the last of the good looking interiors

fordmanbrad 07-04-2011 10:36 PM

Model year 2010 was the last one that you could still get the ZF 6 speed. I ordered mine in 2009 when first the 2010 orders could be placed, as I heard that the stick was being discontinued and didn't want to miss the deadline. Of course I also got the standard manual hubs and transfer case to round out a simple, reliable drivetrain.

Sadly, if I were to have to replace the truck, I would be looking at a ...........Dodge, still available with a stick.

On the F250 and up, the manual hubs and transfer case continue to be available in 2011, however.

Zedrive 07-04-2011 11:57 PM

I understand where you guys are coming from.
You give up way to much road feel in an automatic. I hate autos they are for the infirm and those who know bollocks about driving. Ford abandoned drivers with this move. Used or Dodge for now, for me too. One of the Ford engineers, who posted on site said, they sell primarily stick in Mexico.
Mexicans obviously have Balls.
I like leaf sprung axles too, go figure.

lakedweller 07-05-2011 12:17 AM

I am sure this was not a snap decision. Ford sells a lot of trucks every year and their marketing is telling them that it is time to stop offering manual transmissions. Ok with me and aparently the majority of their market. I say express your dismay to Ford and if enough do they may reverse their decision. Worked for convertables could work for this.....

buck_ 07-05-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by lakedweller (Post 10536823)
I say express your dismay to Ford and if enough do they may reverse their decision.

The thought has seriously crossed my mind.

What ever happened to options? Make a "car" your own. Used to be a time when you could get what you wanted. Now it's like this, don't like our cookie cutter "cars"...tough.

galaxie641 07-05-2011 06:06 PM

IIRC take rate was 17% on manuals, didn't pay to keep making them. Blame all the people that want a truck that is just a glorified car. If it makes you feel any better you can somewhat manually shift the new 6spd auto's.

FORDF250HDXLT 07-05-2011 07:03 PM

why not keep an opened mind and go test drive one and see what ya think?
iv always driven manual shift trucks and decided to go auto with my current "new to me" truck.i tell ya what......................

i don't miss that hand shaker one bit.you just might not either.
clutch repair,throw out bearings etc. replacements....i won't miss ya.lets face it,that ain't no fun job.nor is it cheap,even if you do it yourself.
shifting all the time on these back hilly roads before,during,after work.i won't miss ya.i work hard all day long,i got sick of working in my truck too.
just go try out one.tell 'em you want to hook onto something with it.bring your trailer or RV with ya.if they won't let ya actually test drive the truck,try another dealer.
you just may be pleasantly surprised.......warning though,the auto will grow on ya real fast.if (big if) ford ever brought the old stick back,you likely wouldn't want it then anyway.;)

severedthumbz 07-05-2011 07:27 PM

My 2011 came with a manual??? :cornfused:

redford 07-05-2011 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by severedthumbz (Post 10539832)
My 2011 came with a manual??? :cornfused:

A manual transmission?

TexasRebel 07-05-2011 10:08 PM

IIRC take rate was 17% on manuals, didn't pay to keep making them
was the take rate 17%?

or was the take rate 100% of the 17% build rate?

If the take rate was actually 17%, you would have been able to find a stick on the lots... Since they didn't build them in the first place, only a few lucky ones could buy them... and then they claim that nobody wanted one... biased stats if you ask me.

you can still get a stick in a 2011... 550 or bigger (maybe 750, I can't recall exactly... whichever one you can still get the V10 in)

Slop in the torque converter when you push on the accelerator... I won't miss you... heck, I'll never even have to deal with you... my clutch means I'll never have to wonder if my vehicle will actually move forward or not. I'll know it by the feel of the release. Gear hunting computer... I won't miss you. Heck, I'll never have to deal with you either. My transmission was acting funny while driving across a pasture not too long ago... turns out I was drunk.

KOESTNER 07-05-2011 10:26 PM

I don't know how to drive an automatic, I'll need to learn some day, but not today.

Kajtek1 07-05-2011 10:54 PM

Well guys .. welcome to the 21 Century. For a generation automatic transmissions are offered with manual shifting, where some models even have paddles on steering wheel for gear changes. With converter locks available on all higher gears the automatic will not lower mpg, while computer controlled gear shifting saves lot of wear making transmissions outlasting even diesel engines. Some of them even come with lifetime transmission fluid in them, so you can drive it 20 years with no service required.
Ford was about 10 years behind in technology, but is catching up.
So why would Ford make special assembly lane just for the few percent of potential buyers that elevate warranty claims abusing their clutches and synchronizers?
I never owned a Corvette, but aren't those coming with automatic only for years?

TexasRebel 07-05-2011 11:18 PM

nope...

the 'Vette is still available with a stick

So are the following:

the Viper
the Mustang
the Camaro
the Challenger
the Scion Tc
the Ram
the Peterbilt 389

...and Bicycles.