Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cooling, Heating, Ventilation & A/C (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum61/)
-   -   Correct Expansion Valve (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1078882-correct-expansion-valve.html)

ydaveitsu 06-28-2011 05:49 PM

Correct Expansion Valve

I've got a 1997 Ford Mark III conversion Van. It has the "Pro Air" Series 1100 A/C Heater unit installed. My question is, does anyone know a correct part number for the expansion valve for this unit. East Coast Toys who have parts for these Ford Mark III conversions want $65.00 plus shipping for their replacement. I'm use to spending 25-30 dollars for expansion valve. I ordered one for a Ford OEM rear air unit. Then I started thinking if this was going to work. Both units are rated for about 15,000 BTU's

lsrx101 06-30-2011 09:05 AM

The Ford valve most likely will be different.
Most add on AC units are made from generic, off the shelf parts except for the housing itself. Take the valve to NAPA and match it up to one in their Climate Control catalog.

Why are you replacing the TXV? They rarely fail.

ydaveitsu 06-30-2011 05:45 PM

I did that today. Got the other expansion valve today in the mail. It looks just like the one that was in there. The only difference was the capulary tube was a little longer. I just gave it and extra coil. Both expansion valve even had the same casting markings on them. The reason I'm replacing it because when I had the whole system apart, I thought I would get smart and make sure the inside passage ways were clear of any crap. I took my allen wrench and uncrewed the valve. I counted the number of turns so I could put it back the same way. Well a long story short I guess I didn't. So when the unit was together, I was getting cold from the front A/C but not so cold from the rear. I checked the heater valve to make sureit was closing in the A/C position, and it was. So here I am replacing the expanion valve. I'm evacuating the system now and then put a new charge in.

ydaveitsu 07-26-2011 08:11 PM

Just wanted to update my situation with my van's A/C. I put the new expansion valve in the rear unit and I put in a new self adjusting orifice tube for the front unit. This orifice tube is made for high temp climates, 100* plus. I thought at first it was a sales pitch. I evacuated the system for about 4 hrs and gave it a new charge. The day I did this was 97 degrees. I was getting air out of the front vents about 42* at a stand still. When I drove the van on the road, the temp out of the vents dropped into the high 30's. The back vents were not as cold but were still in the high 40's low 50's. I am more then pleased with the outcome. The other day it was about 101-102 and I was still blowing air in the front vents in the mid 40's. I had to turn down the blower fan motors to low.

hhott71 08-05-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by lsrx101 (Post 10520305)
The Ford valve most likely will be different.
Most add on AC units are made from generic, off the shelf parts except for the housing itself. Take the valve to NAPA and match it up to one in their Climate Control catalog.

Why are you replacing the TXV? They rarely fail.

Does it look like this one? Click that link below.

CLICK HERE >>>> Expansion Valve Internal

I also have the Externally equalized and the Block valve expansion vlaves in stock.