Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Taming the ride MOR/ryde spring hangers (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1078449-taming-the-ride-mor-ryde-spring-hangers.html)

porthole 06-26-2011 11:22 PM

Taming the ride MOR/ryde spring hangers

3 Attachment(s)
The 350 DRW is a great truck and can haul a boat load of stuff, not mention almost 22K of trailer. It does come at price though - ride quality, especially unloaded.

While at our Heartland rally in Elkhart last week we had a few seminars. One was given by MOR/ryde. I'm already familiar with most of their products as I have the MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes and pin box on our trailer. But I sat in anyway.

The speaker just very briefly mentioned a new product that caught my attention - MOR/ryde type spring mounts for light duty truck springs.
"Gary" couldn't tell us if the product was out for 2011 trucks so we took a ride over to the shop.
Although the schedule was full we managed to get Ben, the guy in charge, to squeeze our trucks in. My buddy Dan's on Friday and mine first thing Monday.

This kit replaces the rear spring hanger and shackle with an assembly that includes a mini version of the MOR/ryde rubber shear spring.
This kit takes away the metal connection between spring and frame and puts rubber between it.

The ride unloaded is noticeably smoother. Best way I can describe it is a “disconnected” feeling. You feels jolts and jars in the front that you know you should be feeling in the rear but don’t. Concrete expansion joints are a great place to try this out.
Although I wouldn’t say the same difference was evident towing (18+K, 3K pin weight).

This link has an older but similar system
MOR/ryde - Products - Suspensions - Tow Vehicles

Press release
MOR/ryde introduces the

The old spring hanger is riveted on and has to be removed. I kept my old parts as the kit comes with a money back guarantee. Doubt I will be returning it though.
A bit pricey at $695 for the kit, but you are paying for quality parts and engineering.
All the MOR/ryde stuff is top shelf.

porthole 06-26-2011 11:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The hitch has to be "relieved" on the right side.

Tom 06-27-2011 08:11 AM

Very interesting, Duane. Not sure how comfortable I'd be with my rear suspension being held together by thick bricks of rubber though.

Super08 06-27-2011 09:46 AM

I used to drive a 73 Kenworth with rubber block suspension. Tough as nails. I also just traded in my fifth wheel that was manufactured in 2006 on a new one. It had Mor-ride suspension and I never had a problem with it. My new one has it as well. If anything happens to the rubber blocks they can be replaced individually and also come in different weight ratings.

Marauder92V 06-27-2011 12:42 PM

Besides... when was the last time you saw Gumby tore in half? ;) I agree, these are pretty robust. Saw a set on a friend's rig. Be interested in knowing whether they are solid rubber or have other materials in them (like neoprene).

porthole 06-27-2011 01:05 PM

This system is a small version of what is used in many city buses.
I do have a similar system in my trailer and have no reservations in it's application.
5 year guarantee on the shear springs.

Specularius 06-28-2011 03:37 PM

Dangit Porthole, You are going to cost me some more money. Something else I didn't know I needed until you pointed it out to me. Just like that bed step that is so wonderful for unhooking the fiver.

porthole 06-28-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Specularius (Post 10513209)
Dangit Porthole, You are going to cost me some more money. Something else I didn't know I needed until you pointed it out to me. Just like that bed step that is so wonderful for unhooking the fiver.

Better not read my post then if and when I get some type of air ride :-huh

gi1gamesh 05-22-2015 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by porthole (Post 10514666)
Better not read my post then if and when I get some type of air ride :-huh

Did you get Air ride? Trying to find the post..

porthole 06-05-2015 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by gi1gamesh (Post 15375612)
Did you get Air ride? Trying to find the post..

Yes.

"if" it was still being made, I would not recommend it, at least for DRW's
Lot of work to install, little ride improvement and I have gone through 6 air bags so far. I now travel with the tools needed and a spare air bag in the truck.
But, it does do a good jib of keeping the truck level automatically.

Nothing that could not be done with air bags and height control valves.

Nothing like towing a 15-17K toy hauler with no rear suspension on crappy northeast highways.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...uspension.html

Big-Foot 06-05-2015 06:18 PM

This is pretty interesting...
I think about the only thing I would be concerned with is slghtly less lateral stability when going around corners - particularly when towing a heavy load... Seems that it may get just a little "Ass-ie"...

System 06-06-2015 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot (Post 15412828)
This is pretty interesting...
I think about the only thing I would be concerned with is slghtly less lateral stability when going around corners - particularly when towing a heavy load... Seems that it may get just a little "Ass-ie"...

Come on Randy, you got to wiggle it... just a little bit.... :-X22

porthole 06-06-2015 10:59 PM

I'm towing a 15-18K toy hauler - no issues.

Superduty450 06-14-2015 09:04 AM

Did this Morryde system effect the ride height? loaded/unloaded

porthole 06-24-2015 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Superduty450 (Post 15431701)
Did this Morryde system effect the ride height? loaded/unloaded

Zero change to height.