Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Bypass or simple shutoff in heater core line? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1078264-bypass-or-simple-shutoff-in-heater-core-line.html)

EMD_DRIVER 06-26-2011 09:52 AM

Bypass or simple shutoff in heater core line?

My e99's heater core decided to spring a leak the other day. Not having time to replace it, I cut both hoses and bypassed it, as a temporary fix. I've heard that it's not a good idea to simply shut off the flow, and that a bypass should be installed. I was looking at farmboy's classified ad for his e99 and noticed that he has a ball valve in one of the heater lines:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/a...1&d=1300136801

Is there any problem doing it this way?

hotroddsl 06-26-2011 10:01 AM

No problem at all you don't need to install the valve!You can just loop to the head with no problem until you need a heater you'll be fine :)

EMD_DRIVER 06-26-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by hotroddsl (Post 10504413)
No problem at all you don't need to install the valve!You can just loop to the head with no problem until you need a heater you'll be fine :)

That's what I did.. I cut both hoses and connected them together.. I was taking my daughter to the doctor and needed a quick fix. I just wondered if it would screw up the water pump, if I simply put a shutoff valve in when I put the new core in. I can't believe how much colder my A/C is now!!!!!

hotroddsl 06-26-2011 10:12 AM

You may experience evaporator core freeze up on humid days but if you just keep it on normal a/c not max ,no recirculate, you should be ok!

EMD_DRIVER 06-26-2011 10:14 AM

Haven't had that problem yet and we've had some pretty humid days lately! I will keep that in mind though... Thanks!

ff1210 06-26-2011 03:28 PM

core

Heater valve off a ford ranger works good but you cant shut it off unless you turn the a/c on. Do a search on cold a/c modd

EMD_DRIVER 06-26-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ff1210 (Post 10505331)
Heater valve off a ford ranger works good but you cant shut it off unless you turn the a/c on. Do a search on cold a/c modd

I put one of those in my 93, but would rather use a simple shutoff valve if possible. The ranger valve is vacuum actuated.

hotroddsl 06-26-2011 05:06 PM

The vacuum actuated valves automatically open when you turn on max a/c to prevent evaporator core from freezing on on humid days that's what it's there for:)

ff1210 06-26-2011 05:23 PM

a/c

Originally Posted by hotroddsl (Post 10505606)
The vacuum actuated valves automatically open when you turn on max a/c to prevent evaporator core from freezing on on humid days that's what it's there for:)

Mine opens when you turn it to vent,norm a/c, and max a/c all three.

hotroddsl 06-26-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by ff1210 (Post 10505658)
Mine opens when you turn it to vent,norm a/c, and max a/c all three.

Does your truck have the climate control?my '07 does an it will open and close with demand on that system, but on the '02 it just stays closed when A/C is in normal but opens in max it is also open in the vent settings. I have always assumed it was a factory installation! But I could be wrong, as I'm not the original owner.

ff1210 06-26-2011 05:53 PM

a/c

Originally Posted by hotroddsl (Post 10505709)
Does your truck have the climate control?my '07 does an it will open and close with demand on that system, but on the '02 it just stays closed when A/C is in normal but opens in max it is also open in the vent settings. I have always assumed it was a factory installation! But I could be wrong, as I'm not the original owner.

No my truck dont have climate control on it. Know it mite close after a will of use but you can turn it to vent and get out and look at it and watch it close, then turn it off and then back to normal ac and watch it close, and the same when you turn it to max ac not saying it stays open all the time iv just not ever sene it open on eather of those setting..

hotroddsl 06-26-2011 06:00 PM

Weird! Mine closes tight soon as you select normal ac, if you adjust the temperature I wonder if it will open? Mine is a ford valve and has all the ford style lines going to it but it is the only spot on the truck with stainless hose clamps, not the ford stock ones!

ff1210 06-26-2011 06:35 PM

ac

I placed mine about 6'' from the fire wall were the two lines run to the heater core and ran the vac line to the red one under beside/behind the glove box. but ill check about moving the temp control and see what happins.

ronjon95 07-27-2011 09:33 PM

Bump need update!