Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   where to buy parts for a 1949 f1 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1077445-where-to-buy-parts-for-a-1949-f1.html)

Grandpa's F-1 06-23-2011 12:59 AM

where to buy parts for a 1949 f1

my grandpa used lmc truck for buying all the parts for his restore project but im looking for other options. i understand that it takes alot of money to restore an old vehicle but it seems like some of the stuff lmc truck has is priced a little high.

are there any others places that are reasonably priced that can buy from.

any help or ideas are appreciated.

thanks

GreatNorthWoods 06-23-2011 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Grandpa's F-1 (Post 10492713)
my grandpa used lmc truck for buying all the parts for his restore project but im looking for other options. i understand that it takes alot of money to restore an old vehicle but it seems like some of the stuff lmc truck has is priced a little high.

are there any others places that are reasonably priced that can buy from.

any help or ideas are appreciated.

thanks

I've found that it pays to shop around. I have bought some things from LMC that were less expensive than others. Classic Haulers, Sacramento Ford, Macs, and Classic Auto Parts are some others I've ordered from...:)

yelosub79 06-23-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods (Post 10493335)
I've found that it pays to shop around. I have bought some things from LMC that were less expensive than others. Classic Haulers, Sacramento Ford, Macs, and Classic Auto Parts are some others I've ordered from...:)

....Also Dennis Carpenter. I prefer Macs though. They Always seem to have the lowest prices.

51PanelMan 06-23-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by yelosub79 (Post 10494005)
....Also Dennis Carpenter. I prefer Macs though. They Always seem to have the lowest prices.

I agree. When I was getting my 52 back on the road, I need some engine tune up and misc parts. I made a spreadsheet and listed every part I needed, while pricing from each vendor. The vendors I used were Sac Vintage Ford, DC, LMC and Mac's. Sac Vintage came in the most expensive, then it was DC and then Mac's was the cheapest. Actually, LMC beat them all out in price, but had less than 50% of what I needed. So, I went with Mac's because they had everything I needed in one place and the price was very reasonable.

yelosub79 06-23-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan (Post 10495156)
I agree. When I was getting my 52 back on the road, I need some engine tune up and misc parts. I made a spreadsheet and listed every part I needed, while pricing from each vendor. The vendors I used were Sac Vintage Ford, DC, LMC and Mac's. Sac Vintage came in the most expensive, then it was DC and then Mac's was the cheapest. Actually, LMC beat them all out in price, but had less than 50% of what I needed. So, I went with Mac's because they had everything I needed in one place and the price was very reasonable.

thats what I have experienced also.....

ALBUQ F-1 06-23-2011 07:28 PM

I prefer to shop for quality, and LMC comes up short on too many items for my taste. Plus as near as I can tell, no one there has a clue what any of the parts are or how to resolve any issues with them. MAC'S. Dennis C, and Sac Vintage are tops for customer service. If I need bumper brackets, LMC is fine, if I want molded rubber parts or anything that's chromed I go to the others. LMC's on-line ordering sucks, too.

49m47 06-23-2011 08:51 PM

Its good to hear from another 49'er.....When it comes to engine parts I have had real good luck with O'Reilly's. You need to know what you are looking for. Take your old part with you and have it in hand. Mine has the original flathead and I was able to get a water pump, carb rebuild kit, brake mastercylinder rebuild kit. I bought all 4 wheel cylinders for $8.65 each at NAPA.
So like they said before... It pays to shop around.....

51PanelMan 06-23-2011 09:13 PM

Your local NAPA auto parts store is good for the engine tune up and brake parts. However, they normally wouldn't carry the niche parts.

Grandpa's F-1 06-23-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 51PanelMan (Post 10495156)

thanks everyone for all the info, its helped alot.

PanelMan i like your spreadsheet idea, i'm definitely going to use it.

jimprowse 06-23-2011 09:42 PM

truck parts

I just went thru this "parts" issue , ultimately ordered from Midwest Early Ford , 1 800 543 5035 ,,Early Ford ,,,, fellow i talked to knew his early Ford stuff , corrected me on a couple of things , was reading my mind on a couple things , this was a 2 page order , 100 % filled , went out next day ,,, all at "competitive " pricing ,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'v also found Rock Auto to be very good , at lesser prices than the local stores ,

that's been my experience ,,,,,,,,,,,,, by the way , if you think these old truck parts are expensive , price out "comparable " stuff of an 05 F150 ,or 1500 Chevy ,,, and you will be shocked !!! , have a dandy day guys ,,,,, jim p ..