Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   So, I think my rear end is going out? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1077085-so-i-think-my-rear-end-is-going-out.html)

rwdfan 06-21-2011 07:44 PM

So, I think my rear end is going out?

So, today my employee called me to tell me that our 1992 f250 made a thunk and now has a grinding noise emanating from the rear axle. Go figure the parts yard says a replacement axle is 550 bucks...the trucks barely worth that considering it needs a lot of other repairs, I need to get this thing back on the road for minimal dough if possible, otherwise, its going to the junk heap. I'm guessing since its still driving, that a tooth broke off of a gear or something like that. If I pop off the rear axle housing and I dont find anything, what else should I look for? I ask now, because the truck is parked in the boonies and I'm going to go bring my tools out and go take a look. Im guessing I can put a drain pan under it and pop off the cover, but will I need to replace any seals after doing that? Its currently parked in the gravel and cannot be moved anywhere else to work on it, the closest parkable pavement is miles away, and I dont want to risk moving it unless I positively have to. Also, jacking it up is out of the question as my floor jack will just push into the gravel before moving the truck anywhere. Thanks. ugh....

fishforlife2007 06-21-2011 08:12 PM

pull the cover and inspect gears....ring or spider gears is what im leaning towards.... you should be able to get a pan under it when you pull the cover. just get a tube of rtv to seal everything back up.

rwdfan 06-21-2011 08:42 PM

Update, apparently when the truck made the thunk, it was more of a loud bang, sounded like a back fire, and it transmitted through the driveline. It shook the truck. So,yeah, I was thinking it was in the ring or spider gears. Exactly what I didnt want. :-( I will do exactly that fishforlife. Wish me luck.

Volvo92906 06-21-2011 08:43 PM

I agree with fishforlife. Put a pan under the diff, pull the cover off, you should be able to see everything you need to. Check the fluid for signs of trouble too like burning or metal. Bring a flashlight to see if you need to. Use a tube of RTV to seal it back up.

Good luck.

Duct Tape Racing 06-21-2011 09:53 PM

jump on Craigs list.

You could probably pick up an 8.8 rear for that truck for $100 or less.

Hell if your located close, i have an 8.8 rear with 100k on it sittin in the shop

rwdfan 06-21-2011 10:02 PM

Duct tape, Im located in California. Ive already checked craigslist for 200 miles around and theres nothing for my truck. I kind live in the boonies, unless I drive 5 hours to San Francisco. The pick and pull here wants 550$, heck no, I already need to unload this truck anyhow. Im trying to find a 4x4 extended cab to replace it. Even if I replace the rear end with a limited slip model to help traction, I still need an extended cab. We shall see tomorrow what the pumpkin holds for me, but I dont think it will be good. Now heres whats confusing me, I did find an 3.55 limited slip axle with the brakes and stuff but no leafs 4 hours away for 120$, but he says its a 10.25 sterling, you just said an 8.8 axle. He says the axle is off of a 91, I thought the 87-96 axles were all the same. Which one should my truck have and will either fit/work without modification? My truck is a 4x2 btw.

Duct Tape Racing 06-21-2011 10:32 PM

what kind of truck is it? it has a 10.25 sterling??

rwdfan 06-21-2011 10:39 PM

Mine is a 92 f250 4x2 5.8 gas auto long bed reg cab. The axle in question is out of a 87, thats all I know so far. If I was nearby my truck or the axle for sale, I would just look at the tag on the axle, the housing, or the vin plate.